• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

outdoor writer steps on his tongue

Recidivist

Thomas Jefferson contributes to AW? j/k

I personally have no problem with people owning whatever weapon they want (within reason) as long as they know how to use it. There are too many Dumbasses that don't know anything about safety, cleaning, etc. Last summer I was on my way home (I grew up on a small piece of private land in the National Forest) when I got waved down by a family. It was the first day of Deer season and there were dudes everywhere with rifles.
Turns out, the family that waived me down had a gunshot victim. Fortunately I'm an EMT, so I had some semblance of an idea of what to do, but it was a cluster fuck. The son-in-law had discharged a 30-30 accidentally through the tent and longitudinally down the mans leg (he had been sitting in a chair). Entered top of thigh, out just behind the knee (about four inches above), back in at the back of the calf and out between the tibia and fibia on the shin. there where some extra holes from fragmentation or trauma, I counted seven, and a shitload of blood loss. Guy lived (unless he died in the ambulance, but he looked stable). Bullet missed his kidney by less than four inches.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
The writer Zumbo (rhymes with Dumbo??) is part of the problem. He is a "useful idiot" to the anti-gunners in the gun control discussion.

He would sacrifice those who desire to own an "assault-style" rifle in the vain hope that his cherished hunting rifles and his personal little part of the world will be "safe ground" and therefore left alone from the attentions of the anti-gun zealots.

But truth be know ... Mr. Zumbo's bolt action "sporting arms" are now considered "SNIPER" rifles by many of the anti-gun crowd. Guess what?? They want "them" banned as well ....

Beware, Zumbo's of the world ... when it comes to our 2nd Amendment rights --- individual rights guaranteed by the Bill of Rights --- it's united we stand, divided we fall.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Zumbo's done for. Remington, his primary sponsor has already disavowed him and the outdoors and shooting boards are making it pretty clear he is not welcome any more. Rick Jamison pulled a similar move in his lawsuit against Winchester over the design of the short magnum catridge and he's now pretty much unemployable. Too bad his long career had to end on such a sour note. The perils of blogging I guess is no editor to check your tongue.

MasterBates

Cabela's legal dept is looking into how to break their ties with Zumbo as well..

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=548847

Dear Mr. XXXXXXX,

Thanks for your comments. While Cabela’s believes everyone has the right to express their own opinions, we strongly disagree with Jim Zumbo’s February 16 posting on his Hunting with Jim Zumbo blog on Outdoor Life’s Web site.

Throughout our 46-year history, Cabela’s has firmly supported all aspects of shooting sports. We strongly support the Second Amendment of the Constitution of the United States and the right of every U.S. citizen to purchase, own and enjoy any legal firearm of their choosing.

While we fully support Mr. Zumbo’s First Amendment right of free speech, we believe his opinions on this matter are counter to those shared by Cabela’s and many of our customers. Cabela’s Legal Department is currently reviewing contractual obligations and commitments regarding our sponsorship of the Jim Zumbo Outdoors television show.

Have a great day.
Sincerely,
Brent"

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Remington Arms Press Release

Remington to Sever Sponsorship Ties with Jim Zumbo

Madison, North Carolina – As a result of comments made by Mr. Jim Zumbo in recent postings on his blog site, Remington Arms Company, Inc., has severed all sponsorship ties with Mr. Zumbo effective immediately. While Mr. Zumbo is entitled to his opinions and has the constitutional right to freely express those opinions, these comments are solely his, and do not reflect the views of Remington.

“Remington has spent tens of millions of dollars defending our Second Amendment rights to privately own and possess firearms and we will continue to vigorously fight to protect these rights,” commented Tommy Millner, Remington’s CEO and President. “As hunters and shooters of all interest levels, we should strive to utilize this unfortunate occurrence to unite as a whole in support of our Second Amendment rights.”

We regret having to terminate our long-standing relationship with Mr. Zumbo, who is a well-respected writer and life-long hunter.

###

othromas

AEDO livin’ the dream
pilot
He would sacrifice those who desire to own an "assault-style" rifle in the vain hope that his cherished hunting rifles and his personal little part of the world will be "safe ground" and therefore left alone from the attentions of the anti-gun zealots.

But truth be know ... Mr. Zumbo's bolt action "sporting arms" are now considered "SNIPER" rifles by many of the anti-gun crowd. Guess what?? They want "them" banned as well ....

Right; once one area of the dam crumbles, the whole thing is in danger. It doesn't matter what the type of firearm is, it just matters who is using it. The kid in Salt Lake City was using a shotgun, and John Allen Muhammad and Lee Malvo were using a deer rifle.

Honestly, the whole thing could be solved with more education. My high school had a life sports P.E. class our last semester of school; it would have been easy to add a .22 handgun or rifle target shooting component. If people actually handled firearms, it'd stop being so scary to them. I know this'll never happen, but a guy can dream.

MasterBates

Umm, in some parts of the county, you DO shoot 22s during PE or Hunter Safety (yes, it was a class at my HS, in MA no less).

Pugs

Back from the range
None
John Allen Muhammad and Lee Malvo were using a deer rifle.

No, these guys were using a Bushmaster AR-15 look-alike stolen from a store in Seattle/Tacoma area. That being said, the furthest shot they took wasn't very far and they never fired more than one shot. Could have easily done the same thing with a NEF Handi-Rifle or any other single shot.

You're correct though, never give the anti-gun morons an inch. Look to England and Australia and see what a mess it's become. Gun control is about control not guns. I don't own any AR/AK type rifles but that should never keep anyone else from owning them and shooting them often.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
...Honestly, the whole thing could be solved with more education. My high school had a life sports P.E. class our last semester of school; it would have been easy to add a .22 handgun or rifle target shooting component. If people actually handled firearms, it'd stop being so scary to them. I know this'll never happen, but a guy can dream.

And if not "solved" ... at least "helped".

The NRA has a child/youth-specific safety program called "Eddie Eagle" that they will provide at no cost to the educational establishment (with training instructors specializing in children and firearms) ... it's in addition to the wealth of firearms training and armorer training that the NRA provides to law enforcement throughout the country. These little details regarding the NRA always seems to escape the media's notice ....

.... but why don't we have firearms safety in public schools??? Two words: Teacher's Unions. It's not "socially" acceptable ... but hoodlums roaming the hallways of schools seems to be acceptable. Or obviously ... tolerated.

othromas

AEDO livin’ the dream
pilot
Umm, in some parts of the county, you DO shoot 22s during PE or Hunter Safety (yes, it was a class at my HS, in MA no less).

What I'm imagining is something that would be more national or even just state-wide mandate, but that would NEVER fly (and maybe it shouldn't, actually). I'm surprised that MA had something like that when we didn't have anything like it in podunk Missouri.

No, these guys were using a Bushmaster AR-15 look-alike stolen from a store in Seattle/Tacoma area.

Didn't realize that; I must have either made that up, heard the radio wrong, or the reporter didn't know what they were talking about. Thanks for setting me straight.

These little details regarding the NRA always seems to escape the media's notice ....

No kidding.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's a painful lesson that some learn the hard way: You can spend your entire life building success and reputation, but it takes just ONE mistake to destroy it all.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
.... but why don't we have firearms safety in public schools??? Two words: Teacher's Unions.
Hell, I'd settle for the kids just learning how to read and write, and maybe an algebra equation or two.