• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Orders Requested - STA-21

Licarias

As far as the shoe thing goes, if you run in a certain type of shoe then buying a new pair and bringing them to NSI shouldnt be a big deal. I will probably bring one almost brand new pair and my current running shoes with me. About the most milage you should put into a pair of running shoes (and this can vary with brand) is 400 miles. I seriously doubt we are gonna approach that kind of milage at NSI so a brand new pair probably isnt necessary.
The only problem I am having is getting over shin splints, I am praying these bastards dont come back at NSI.

OneBadSSS

FY08 STA-21 Pilot Selectee/Currently at ODU
I will reuse coveralls and that is all, is there anything else that E6 and below can even reuse?

Technically you can reuse your Peacoat, working whites (CNT type) and working blues, but like you I'm only planning on reusing my coveralls since all you have to do is change name tapes.

I have a suggestion for those running Boot Camp. Quit measuring everyone for uniforms a month into boot camp when they are unusually skinny. Just a little rant.

Haha, I agree, but that goes both ways. I was 30 lbs. heavier at the beginning of boot camp than at the end, so I had to get refitted for uniforms in a hurry the day before I transferred from RTC...

68 Chevelle

MM1 Nuke->FY08 STA-21 NFO Selectee
That's BS, because I bought a really nice pair of Saucony's two months ago and they still look brand new and are the most comfortable running shoes I've ever owned. I'm going to bring them with me to BOOST and NSI and if they say something to me about them then I will buy a new pair.

Ditto! :D LOL, but since I'm going to need them for BOOST I'm going to have to get them updated! :eek:

On a side note, for everyone thinking it would be a good idea to reuse as many of yoru enlisted uniforms as you can to save a little money, my LT recommended against that because of the sewing holes from patches that will be left behind and make the uniforms look like crap. I'm personally going to just bite the bullet and by all new stuff so that I look sharp, even if I don't end up using half of it. Oh well!

I'm all for looking sharp, but I'm also not planning on purchasing anything pre-NSI save for smurfs. They have a uniform shop there, if I need anything I will just buy it. As far as uniforms that are the same, no one mentioned the raincoat, its also the same. I know my working blues will have stitch holes in them from the patches, but aside from NSI when are we really going to EVER wear the johnny cash's again? I know i dont plan to! I also plan to bring broken in running shoes, no sense in being miserable with blisters.

Flamedog

Freshly stashed Ensign
Two very helpful posts. I am an ELT as well, but on the good side. I completely agree. Bring dress uniforms and utilities. It says to check in in working blues, did anyone else read that too?? So if I read everything right, we have to wait until NSI to get OC status right?

I also read in the Naval Science Info Package link on the STA-21 site that you can "Report in appropriate civilian attire, i.e. slacks/skirt and shirt with collar/equivalent blouse. PT gear will be issued the first day." It also says (in bold letters) to bring a full enlisted seabag on the next page.

As far as what I'm bringing to NSI, I'm taking what I have. I've still got some of my uniforms from bootcamp that I never wore (working whites, etc). I have my inspection set and then my utilities. I'm just praying that I won't need them (due to a drop).

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
Your summer white shirt is not the same as enlisted. I actually was quite irritated at the signage at the NEX too when purchasing my new uniforms this past year because most everything is listed as either "Enlisted" or "CPO/Officer" well this is the one item that is the same for all E and only differs at the O level. I bought a new white one and kept my old pants for the exact reason you guys are talking about. If you walk around with sew/patch holes and marks you're gonna look like a complete tool. Anyway my original point was that the O shirt has little loops on it for your shoulder boards. I don't know if you can sew them on later or not if you happen to have an unused shirt but its possible. Because the chokers are sold the same for both CPO/O-gangers and then they NEX will sew the loops on when they do your cuffs.

Lucky3

P-8 Driver
pilot
Well I got a scare yesterday. I was walking in from garage and sliced my foot on something against the wall and needed stitches. The doctor told me I was less than a tenth of an inch from two big veins in my foot. Last year I had a friend who broke his ankle two weeks before NSI and they took the program from him. Could you imagine getting disenrolled because of cut (albiet deep)on your foot. I am almost afraid to walk outside before I leave, lol. And to think I am flying this weekend...

SnipeDude

Cleveland Brown Fan
I know I've posted this before but I'll do it again...

You're going to be Officers so use your discretion but if a uniform item fits and is in good condition bring it. Don't be a dirtbag but if you don't want to drag around four sets of winter blues you will save some money. You will go to the uniform shop as a company and be required to buy everything on a long list that comes out to something like $1000. You do get an allowance eventually to pay for it but if you didn't have to buy something you pocket the difference. So you can reuse the following items (in good condition and fit):

Black Oxfords
Winter Blue Pants (2)
PT Gear
Summer White Pants
Raincoat
Seabag

Thats what I can think of off the top of my head. You won't need coveralls there. The Peacoat is not on the list but might be nice to have.

You need the specified enlisted uniforms to wear while you are awaiting orders in case you are dropped from the program.

Also, when I was there we wore Winter Blues almost every school day and on liberty (Week 1 secured, Weeks 2-5 Blues, Week 6 Civvies). CNT Khakis on Fridays. No civvies in the barracks, either, you have to be in uniform or PT gear. They wear the short-sleeved wash khakis in the summer.

The PT is not that hard. Just be ready to score a Good-Low on each part of the PRT.

Visit Boston!

Good luck, have fun and stay away from the Napsters.

Lightning26

Does anyone who is going to Boost plan on doing a partial DITY move? PSD and personal property said I could but it doesn't seem right. I am only taking my uniforms, civilian clothes, laptop, tools and few other things. Is it even worth the paperwork?

I have never done a partial DITY so I don't know much about it. I did a search but I couldn't find anything about someone doing it while going to Boost/NSI.

If anyone has any prior experience with this please let me know. Thanks

k_smittay

Does anyone who is going to Boost plan on doing a partial DITY move? PSD and personal property said I could but it doesn't seem right. I am only taking my uniforms, civilian clothes, laptop, tools and few other things. Is it even worth the paperwork?

I have never done a partial DITY so I don't know much about it. I did a search but I couldn't find anything about someone doing it while going to Boost/NSI.

If anyone has any prior experience with this please let me know. Thanks

I am doing a partial DITY because I have to move a boat as well as my HHG. I am moving the boat to Arizona from Norfolk, but as it stands, the Navy will only reimburse expenses for the move to RI. I was told by personal property that when I move from RI to colorado for school that I could also claim the boat then as well.