• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Orders Requested - STA-21

68 Chevelle

MM1 Nuke->FY08 STA-21 NFO Selectee
Happy day! On my first day of HHLV my physical finally went through! I was starting to get worried that I may need a waiver that I didn't know about, or that NAMI didn't like my "severely deviated nasal septum" (broken/crooked nose) {I'm sure with as crooked as it is some sort of call sign referring to it is inevitable} But it all came through! Now just the orders waiting game! I'm ok with waiting for orders, at least I know all my screening is done what a relief that is!

Physical Status Physical Information was received: 11/16/2007
Physical Status is : QUALIFIED
Date of Physical Status: 1/11/2008
Latest HIV test date is: 10/12/2007
Physical sent to NOMI: 12/18/2007
Physical sent to BUMED: 12/5/2007

Degree Plan Information

Assigned Host School Cross Enroll Status
23 UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN EASTERN MICHIGAN UNIVERSITY Valid/Accepted

Order Requests

Order Type Requested Date Time Group
NSI AND NROTC ORDERS 1/11/2008 _______________________________

With no waiver! I guess NOMI was okay with my nose! :eek:) See you all in Feb!

Luke

ELT(SS)

I was talking with some of the other luckiest people on earth earlier this week, and the 4 of us decided that by 'full enlisted seabag', we should have all of our uniforms at home, and just bring what it specifically says, blues and utilities, and all the other stuff like a robe. If anybody knows or has a good idea that we will actually need a full seabag in Rhode Island, could they let me know. There are a whole lot of things in that seabag that I will have to procure for while we are there. All sub guys that have been on the boat a while are probably in the same position. I have about 12 poopy suits and 1 set of whites/blues, no peacoat or gloves or any of that. Thanks for any info, and good luck to everybody at NSI/School

Licarias

Im bringing the utilities and dress blues, and if they bitch about me not having a "full" enlisted sea bag, oh well. Im a sub guy as well, and its really not worth the 1000 or so dollars (no shit on that one, I went to the uniform shop with a list and estimated it) that it would cost me to make a complete sea bag.
Thats probably the most frustrating thing I have found so far, the lack of a central place for getting information. It seems like its so spread out amongst hyperlinks, different websites, and word of mouth that its hard to figure out good information. Im just throwing it out there, but what are you guys wearing to check into NSI? Im wearing civilian clothes, but I saw on the NSI website to do check in uniform. sigh, they really gotta streamline this process....

Lucky3

P-8 Driver
pilot
Two very helpful posts. I am an ELT as well, but on the good side. I completely agree. Bring dress uniforms and utilities. It says to check in in working blues, did anyone else read that too?? So if I read everything right, we have to wait until NSI to get OC status right?

Licarias

Just to put the confusion on paper so that some others can look at exactly what we are....

On the STA-21 website there is a link called Naval Science Information package. It says to report in appropriate civilian attire. The actual NSI website under the "arrival information" tab says to report in seasonal uniform of the day.

In bold letters in the link from the STA-21 site, it says to bring a "full enlisted seabag". The NSI website says to bring (for the february guys) "one set of Service Dress Blues and two sets of working uniforms (utilities)". I dunno, I definetly dont want to be "that" guy when they decide to a seabag inspection and I dont have stuff. On the other hand I dont have a grand to flush down the toilet for Justin. I hate that Justin bastard, always screwin me.

OneBadSSS

FY08 STA-21 Pilot Selectee/Currently at ODU
Two very helpful posts. I am an ELT as well, but on the good side. I completely agree. Bring dress uniforms and utilities. It says to check in in working blues, did anyone else read that too?? So if I read everything right, we have to wait until NSI to get OC status right?

As far as I know from talking to prior STA-21 guys, BOOSTer's will need working blues for class (and whites if they make the uniform shift before we switch to NSI) and the required number of PT uniforms. Guys just going to NSI I believe are supposed to report in working blues and while it says to "bring your full seabag" I wouldn't even bother because from what I'm told the whole first week of NSI is gettting fitted for your officer uniforms and you'll get a special clothing allowance for that (just like in Boot Camp when you got your initial seabag issue). Classes during NSI will be in Khakis as you will be in "OC status" at that time...

68 Chevelle

MM1 Nuke->FY08 STA-21 NFO Selectee
Just to put the confusion on paper so that some others can look at exactly what we are....

On the STA-21 website there is a link called Naval Science Information package. It says to report in appropriate civilian attire. The actual NSI website under the "arrival information" tab says to report in seasonal uniform of the day.

In bold letters in the link from the STA-21 site, it says to bring a "full enlisted seabag". The NSI website says to bring (for the february guys) "one set of Service Dress Blues and two sets of working uniforms (utilities)". I dunno, I definetly dont want to be "that" guy when they decide to a seabag inspection and I dont have stuff. On the other hand I dont have a grand to flush down the toilet for Justin. I hate that Justin bastard, always screwin me.

My friends who were just there told me this. DO NOT BUY ANYTHING prior to reporting to NSI. Bring some smurfs for PT, and your working blues, (in addition to whatever else you have) he said you have ample time and opportunity to buy anything else you need. He said that some people spent $1000+ just to give the stuff to the thrift shop! I plan on following his advice, he actually said it was helpful to have 3 or 4 sets of smurfs to PT in. Other than that I don't plan to buy anything.

Luke

ELT(SS)

That is exactly why I, at a minimum, am so confused. Depending on where you look either report in civilian clothes, working blues OR dress blues, bring a full seabag, OR just one set of blues and 2 utilities, bring broken in OR brand new running shoes. So I think as long as most of us don't show up with all of our stuff, we will be fine. I am not going to drop about 1K on stuff I will never wear again, or have never worn (peacoat and that stupid itchy sweater that goes under utilities). The multiple smurfs is a good idea, I think my set in boot camp had a science experiment growing in them by the time they got washed. I don't even know if I have two sets of utilities to tell you truth. I think I will bring the transferable uniforms, I think the working whites and blues are the same right? I should have payed more attention in boot camp.
Everybody, thanks for all the real information up here, it has been a life saver

OneBadSSS

That is exactly why I, at a minimum, am so confused. Depending on where you look either report in civilian clothes, working blues OR dress blues, bring a full seabag, OR just one set of blues and 2 utilities, bring broken in OR brand new running shoes. So I think as long as most of us don't show up with all of our stuff, we will be fine. I am not going to drop about 1K on stuff I will never wear again, or have never worn (peacoat and that stupid itchy sweater that goes under utilities). The multiple smurfs is a good idea, I think my set in boot camp had a science experiment growing in them by the time they got washed. I don't even know if I have two sets of utilities to tell you truth. I think I will bring the transferable uniforms, I think the working whites and blues are the same right? I should have payed more attention in boot camp.
Everybody, thanks for all the real information up here, it has been a life saver

DO NOT bring brand new running shoes that you haven't broken in! This is a recipe for blister disaster! If you haven't already purchased a good pair of running shoes, go buy them ASAP and start running so that they are properly broken in by the time you report. This will ensure that you don't get blisters but also that the shoes you bring will still have plenty of life left to last well through your time up in Newport!

OneBadSSS

Alright thanks for the info Luke, any idea on what we should wear when we report in?

Tony

I personally am going to wear dress blues because seasonal dress uniform is the prescribed "check-in uniform" at any other command, so why should this be any different?

ELT(SS)

I know that brand new shoes will cause blisters, but in the NSI packet it says there is no such thing as good broken in shoes, which I used as an example of the confusion, and I completely agree with the dress blues checking in. That is my plan, especially since my working blues are 2 paygrades off.

OneBadSSS

I know that brand new shoes will cause blisters, but in the NSI packet it says there is no such thing as good broken in shoes

That's BS, because I bought a really nice pair of Saucony's two months ago and they still look brand new and are the most comfortable running shoes I've ever owned. I'm going to bring them with me to BOOST and NSI and if they say something to me about them then I will buy a new pair.

I completely agree with the dress blues checking in. That is my plan, especially since my working blues are 2 paygrades off.

Ditto! :D LOL, but since I'm going to need them for BOOST I'm going to have to get them updated! :eek:

On a side note, for everyone thinking it would be a good idea to reuse as many of yoru enlisted uniforms as you can to save a little money, my LT recommended against that because of the sewing holes from patches that will be left behind and make the uniforms look like crap. I'm personally going to just bite the bullet and by all new stuff so that I look sharp, even if I don't end up using half of it. Oh well!

Lucky3

P-8 Driver
pilot
I will reuse coveralls and that is all, is there anything else that E6 and below can even reuse? I am going to bite the bullet and buy a new set of working blues. I have a suggestion for those running Boot Camp. Quit measuring everyone for uniforms a month into boot camp when they are unusually skinny. Just a little rant.