• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Orders Requested - STA-21

vicariousrider

War Eagle!
Out-standing. Glad to hear it!

You know, I'm not sure how it happened, but I managed to keep a fair amount of the stuff I was issued in boot camp - except for the cotton dungarees *grumble grumble*. I still have the cotton working whites I was issued - although those have been superseded by a couple of sets of CNTs I now own. Honestly, I think after the first week we'll be free and clear for needing stuff at NSI. If I can, I'll keep the stuff I don't need in my vehicle, which I'll have up there after the first 2 weeks of NSI.

OneBadSSS

FY08 STA-21 Pilot Selectee/Currently at ODU
Out-standing. Glad to hear it!

You know, I'm not sure how it happened, but I managed to keep a fair amount of the stuff I was issued in boot camp - except for the cotton dungarees *grumble grumble*. I still have the cotton working whites I was issued - although those have been superseded by a couple of sets of CNTs I now own. Honestly, I think after the first week we'll be free and clear for needing stuff at NSI. If I can, I'll keep the stuff I don't need in my vehicle, which I'll have up there after the first 2 weeks of NSI.

You will, at the very least, need 2 sets of working blues and working whites, dress shoes and your garrison cap (for working blues) and dixie cups (for working whites) as these will be the uniforms you wear to school each day (depending on the season). NSI you will wear your OC khakis on fridays for uniform inspections (this is what I've been told). Also, I was told to bring everything but leave it all in your car and grab stuff as you need it so that nothing you gets taken from you at check-in...

ELT(SS)

I am not bringing anything except blues and utilities. I am missing about $750 worth of seabag crap that never gets used, and I don't want to buy it. Hopefully this doesn't come back to bite me

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
Ok, here are two questions:

I re-enlisted Friday for 6 years. I was not allowed to extend as per PSD; however, I am supposed to obliserve until 2014 (1 month shy) and added to that the two year extension for the Pilot slot. Anyone else having this battle with PSD?

Also, speaking of PSD, on the NSI website, it clearly states that if you are single, and you are attending a school in the same area that you are stationed in (ie, Norfolk, VA) that you can get PSD to keep your BAH. My command is (small command) stating that I have to route a chit to keep it, is anyone else going to college in the same area that you are currently located at?
Why does it seem that the post-selection paperwork is more confusing than the actual initial program stuff!!?? Oh well, Semper Gumbie!
Your transfering PSD shouldn't stop your BAH. Oh wait you are single, I don't know how that works. I know you are entitled to it, don't let PSD screw you. Make sure you get someone who isn't ignorant on your side and fight for what's yours.

OneBadSSS

Here's a question...this is my first PCS (aside from leaving training commands) and I'm wondering how the process works for getting rembursed for travel expenses. A buddy of mine on my boat tells me that because I'm driving my POV up to Newport (and I'm getting 4 days of travel time) that I'll be paid for my mileage and per diem for those 4 days of travel (and gas, hotels, food, etc. so long as I keep receipts) when I check in to Newport. Is this true and is there anything I have to do here before I transfer to ensure that this happens? Also, does anyone know what the rate per mile is that the Navy pays you to travel by POV?

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
Here's a question...this is my first PCS (aside from leaving training commands) and I'm wondering how the process works for getting rembursed for travel expenses. A buddy of mine on my boat tells me that because I'm driving my POV up to Newport (and I'm getting 4 days of travel time) that I'll be paid for my mileage and per diem for those 4 days of travel (and gas, hotels, food, etc. so long as I keep receipts) when I check in to Newport. Is this true and is there anything I have to do here before I transfer to ensure that this happens? Also, does anyone know what the rate per mile is that the Navy pays you to travel by POV?
Keep receipts for any expense then if you can be reimbursed you will.

OneBadSSS

I am not bringing anything except blues and utilities. I am missing about $750 worth of seabag crap that never gets used, and I don't want to buy it. Hopefully this doesn't come back to bite me

The only way that would happen is if you screwed yourself and got dropped from the program!

Flamedog

Freshly stashed Ensign

From my experience I would recommend getting advanced travel pay for your move. It saves you the hassle of having to show receipts and everything. You will get 80% in advance and you can fill out paperwork at PSD for the other 20% after arrival. Even 80% is pretty good though, my move to P-cola from Virginia Beach netted me $2200 in advance. That was with my wife but I'm still figuring on getting a decent amount for this move.

I'm curious to know what the rate per mile is though as well, it would be worth the hassle if there is a significant difference.

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
I'm curious to know what the rate per mile is though as well, it would be worth the hassle if there is a significant difference.

Currently $.19 for PCS moves right now because that's the cap set by the IRS even though the rate set by GSA is actually $.20.

MasterBates

I still think the MALT rate is too freaking low.. At 20c/mile, you have to get 16mpg just to break even on gas, never mind wear and tear on the vehicle.

I got 36c a mile for driving for work back in 1997-98. And gas was a helluva lot cheaper.

Anyone know why the IRS allowed rate for us is lower than the IRS rate for civilians? I think civs are up to 41c/mile now.

vicariousrider

War Eagle!
Hmmmm....there's a reason it's better to do a partial DITY move. Unfortunately, I don't think it's available to everyone who takes PCS orders. I could be (and hope) that I'm wrong.

MasterBates

I get 16-22 on the highway (sans Puma) but the little I make on fuel does not cover wear and tear. Hell, about 1-1.5c a mile goes towards oil changes.