• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Off Base Living

NookyBooky04

Beach Bum Extraordinaire
Is it true that TBS students are not permitted to live off base, unless they are married? If so, is this an absolute? Are there any exceptions (fiance, etc.)

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If this is your fiancee, I can see why you don't want to trade her for another dude as a roomie....at any rate. if you want to cohabitate with her, get married. If not, you're back in dorm life.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
dont worry in another 100 years when they renovate the barracks they will let the Lts live out in town again

usmcecho4

pilot
You can live out in town you just won't get paid to do so. I lived in DC with my girlfriend throughout TBS and IFS and it was no problem at all.

Semper Fi,
usmcecho4

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
usmcecho4 said:
You can live out in town you just won't get paid to do so. I lived in DC with my girlfriend throughout TBS and IFS and it was no problem at all.

Semper Fi,
usmcecho4

At least as long as you didn't miss muster

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
usmcecho4 said:
Same would go for any brown bagger.

Semper Fi,
usmcecho4

Big difference trying to get down 95 from DC though....it's madness during rush hour. I kept my apartment up there during TBS, but never tried to commute during the week. SF

usmcecho4

pilot
heyjoe said:
Big difference trying to get down 95 from DC though....it's madness during rush hour. I kept my apartment up there during TBS, but never tried to commute during the week. SF

I was worried about the same thing but it was a total non-issue. Took approx 40min to commute in the morning and 45min in the evening to and from Georgetown (all the traffic was going the opposite direction). Had to take my friend to DCA one morning after muster in M co and it took 2hrs 45min to get there from base and was total hell. I don't see how people could do that every day.

Semper Fi,
usmcecho4

NookyBooky04

Beach Bum Extraordinaire
usmcecho4 said:

Semper Fi,
usmcecho4

So basically, you're not required to live on base, however a single guy will not recieve a housing allowance if chooses live off base. Correct?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
usmcecho4 said:
I was worried about the same thing but it was a total non-issue. Took approx 40min to commute in the morning and 45min in the evening to and from Georgetown (all the traffic was going the opposite direction). Had to take my friend to DCA one morning after muster in M co and it took 2hrs 45min to get there from base and was total hell. I don't see how people could do that every day.

Semper Fi,
usmcecho4

Gouge and Georgetown is a pretty cool place to be, worked my way through college in a Georgetown restaurant, definitely a fine locale in htat big city...quite a quantum leap to go from there to boonies of Quantico every day. SF HJ

NookyBooky04

Beach Bum Extraordinaire
usmcecho4 said:

Semper Fi,
usmcecho4

And, is this policy applied to API, Primary, etc?

nocal80

Harriers
pilot
NookyBooky04 said:
And, is this policy applied to API, Primary, etc?

no way man, that gayness ends at TBS. You will get BAH if you live out in town once you get to pensacola.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
nocal80 said:
no way man, that gayness ends at TBS. You will get BAH if you live out in town once you get to pensacola.

Not so fast. When I was a student, they started making people occupy the Q at Whiting. Yes, it was mandatory. I was grand-fathered in but guys that were showing up to TW-5 were being made to stay on base.

With the Q opening back up again after all the repairs, I'm betting that may happen again.

usmcecho4

pilot
NookyBooky04 said:
So basically, you're not required to live on base, however a single guy will not recieve a housing allowance if chooses live off base. Correct?

Correct.

Semper Fi,
usmcecho4