• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

October 2007 OCS time line...

Trev82

pilot
So the report date is sept 23 which is sunday? Wonder why the SD office still has heard nothing of this..... its going to be a looooong drive...but definitely glad to get this ball rolling as i'm not getting any younger!

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
Ok, so it appears that OCC-196 has indeed been changed. This leads me to a question and if someone could lend some input it'd be greatly appreciated.

Had it started in Oct as originally planned, that would've given graduates a couple weeks after to go home for the holidays before heading to TBS at the beginning of the year. How will it work having approximately 6 or 7 weeks between graduation and TBS starting? Will we head back to our home of record? Will we be receiving any pay?

Thanks.

Trev82

pilot
Rc

good ? as i was curious about the same thing.... hey is anyone aware and i'm going to speculate and say absolutely NOT but if i do indeed drive will they reimburse me at all? I'm guessing its a big fat no...but i had to ask..

groundrunner

Is it easier to get slected if you go ground. My OSO semmed like it was no big deal getting me in for the 196 with a 263 PFT(15 pu, 16:19 3mile, 88 sit ups) , 3.2 GPA, and 84 ASVAB.

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
Is it easier to get slected if you go ground. My OSO semmed like it was no big deal getting me in for the 196 with a 263 PFT(15 pu, 16:19 3mile, 88 sit ups) , 3.2 GPA, and 84 ASVAB.

I've heard that a strong, in your case excellent, run time will help a great deal in one's selection.

Any tips for someone who is running 3 minutes slower than yourself?

eliz33

my bf has had his package completed for 2 months now. he passed his flight physical in may, and signed all appropriate materials

ASTB 8/8/8
pullups 20
crunch 100
run 19:23

so i guess im not really sure why he is being told he will not make it into OCS 196? i know that sometimes air contracts are limited.. but it seems like people are still getting in? and his package is stong.

then hes also been told the flight contracts for the year might be filled? i thought the Marine fiscal year was april-april?? so how could they be gone so soon into the year?

feel free to correct me anywhere i may be wrong.. i'm here to learn and understand. any insight is appreciated.

rslater

not sure about the flight slots being all taken ...

However, it makes sense to an extent - the fiscal year is Oct-Oct - it's that way in the AF and I am pretty sure it applies DoD-wide. My guess is that there would be more slots available in the beginning of the fiscal year (Oct-Jan) than maybe later in the year.

Also, remember they are projecting pilots for years to come (eg, the pilots getting slots now won't be pilots until possibly 09 or 10). The Marines retention outlook plays the biggest role on when the slots come out... but like every other thread in here says - apply, reapply and the apply again.

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
ASTB 8/8/8
pullups 20
crunch 100

Your bf's stats differ from mine only in that he was 3 seconds slower in the run and my OSO said my packet was very strong as well, so I can see why you might be concerned. Perhaps it has to do with the fact that 196 has been moved from OCT to SEP?

Carno

Insane
my bf has had his package completed for 2 months now. he passed his flight physical in may, and signed all appropriate materials

ASTB 8/8/8
pullups 20
crunch 100

so i guess im not really sure why he is being told he will not make it into OCS 196? i know that sometimes air contracts are limited.. but it seems like people are still getting in? and his package is strong.

then hes also been told the flight contracts for the year might be filled? i thought the Marine fiscal year was april-april?? so how could they be gone so soon into the year?

feel free to correct me anywhere i may be wrong.. i'm here to learn and understand. any insight is appreciated.

Hmm, yeah his package is pretty strong, so it's anyone's guess as to why he hasn't been selected. Best you can do is ask the OSO.

bradler

Eli you seem like one hell of a GF. Anyways, I have also heard that most peoples packages sit around until the selection board meets. Mine has been done for over a month and I am waiting for the board to meet in August. I have also had my concerns about whether my chances are smaller since it seems a lot of people seem to be pre-selected from boards that had filled all the available Air slots before. But best of luck to all and I am anxious to find out myself. I hope they have 1 slot for me.

eliz33

good news!! found out late last night that he's been selected for OCS 196

He's so excited and relieved... and so am I!

we don't know when the board met, his OSO just got back in town.
Best of luck to you bradler!

DimndDave14

Hey Eliz33 is your boyfriend east coast or west, and from what office ? If possible could you find out when the board was, b/c I was told (from my office) the board does not meet until August 21. So it would be intersting to know when that board did meet and what region it was out of ? Also are you positive he has been selected for OCS; or has his package has been approved to be reviewed by the board ?

docholiday

Hey Eliz33 is your boyfriend east coast or west, and from what office ? If possible could you find out when the board was, b/c I was told (from my office) the board does not meet until August 21. So it would be intersting to know when that board did meet and what region it was out of ? Also are you positive he has been selected for OCS; or has his package has been approved to be reviewed by the board ?

Your not the only one hearing that.

eliz33

pretty sure. his package has been out there for a few months.

east coast. and we're in atlanta, not sure the office designation.

bradler

hey folks, I just got he call from my OSO.. I was accepted to OCS 196. And for all you guys wondering when the board met, I am out of Louisville and the OSO said they met on July 6, he also said that they were going to start meeting every month now instead of every 3-4 months. Anyways I was shocked because I had planned for the August board and my recruiter went ahead and submitted my package with my contracting PFT (255). I was thinking WTF and planning on resubmitting but I was accepted. So congrats to all who have made it and Eli thanks for the good luck. Tell you boy congrats. And good luck to the rest of you.