• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

October 2007 OCS time line...

Trev82

pilot
230pft

Your definitely going to want raise your PFT score, 230 isn't competitive to be candid, i'd say get it up to 275 or greater. As far as getting the PRK done, i'm not versed in the eye department when it comes to eye operations but from what i know i believe it takes a little while for the process to heal so you may need to apply to the class following 196....give you time to raise your PFT, get your eyes done (if you want pilot) and accurately put your app together. Whatever you do man, if you want it bad enough you'll get er done.

thull

I was supposed to go OCC 195 but a leg injury has me rescheduled for 196. Word from my recruiter is 196 has been bumped up to september. around the 20th i think. just fyi.

Trev82

pilot
rescheduling

wow, that is some very interesting news thull i'm wondering how concrete it is...even if its only two weeks earlier that definitely changes my timeline.. i guess i better touch base with my oso.

Renegade347

I just got confirmation from my OSO in Florida that OCC 196 class has been moved from October 14 to September 23. I can't imagine that they wouldn't disseminate that information to all those heading out for 196.

m3urthy

Why don't you have a seat right over there.
I just got confirmation from my OSO in Florida that OCC 196 class has been moved from October 14 to September 23. I can't imagine that they wouldn't disseminate that information to all those heading out for 196.

Wow, interesting news.

My OSO told me that if I wanted to go Aviator, that I should just try to switch over from ground to air at TBS. This seems slim to none, and I'd really like the fact if I could go in (most likely to 197 then) with an Air slot.

Oh man, oh man. Too too much stuff going on at once.

Trev82

pilot
its sounds to me that you while you want to be a Marine officer you'd like to eventually become a pilot, if thats the case then fortify your packet make sure its competitive and all the wrinkles are ironed out and apply for 197...not to say if you went ground you shouldn't fortify it either, its just with the flight physical and astb you have a few more steps to take care of when applying. I've heard its very tough to make the transition from ground to air, even if the opportunity does arise i know it is a lot easier for people who have already done their ASTB and flight physicals b/c they won't have to worry about it at TBS...maybe redo the flight physical but you'd be good to go on your ASTB (that is if you had passing scores)...

Carno

Insane
It is highly recommended that you switch to air before you are commissioned and before reporting to TBS, as air slots at TBS are apparently very few in number.

m3urthy

its sounds to me that you while you want to be a Marine officer you'd like to eventually become a pilot, if thats the case then fortify your packet make sure its competitive and all the wrinkles are ironed out and apply for 197...not to say if you went ground you shouldn't fortify it either, its just with the flight physical and astb you have a few more steps to take care of when applying. I've heard its very tough to make the transition from ground to air, even if the opportunity does arise i know it is a lot easier for people who have already done their ASTB and flight physicals b/c they won't have to worry about it at TBS...maybe redo the flight physical but you'd be good to go on your ASTB (that is if you had passing scores)...

I was actually a hard core ground guy a few months ago and had my eyes on any of the Combat Arms or Intel MOSs. I'd be happy with any job in the Corps, but I might as well make that extra effort to get what I want. I'm in my early 20's and I might as well fly and get the most out of the Corps, because I know the Corps will get the most out of me.

My ASTB scores were 6/6/6 54 and my SAT was a 1330. I'm an English Major from a UC school with a GPA of 3.0. That being said, I've done a full year of Bio, Chem, Physics and Organic Chemistry as well as a few upper division Biology and Biochemistry classes. Thats why my GPA isn't as high as it could be.

It is highly recommended that you switch to air before you are commissioned and before reporting to TBS, as air slots at TBS are apparently very few in number.

I can imagine. I'm going to do whatever it takes to get an SNA slot now, rather than gamble on it later.

Thanks all for the advice. It looks like a lot of good information is coming out of this thread.:icon_mi_1

Freezerburn7

That is very intresting news. I'm sort of glad, I want to get in and get going. I took the ASTB, and I graduated a few weeks ago. Two very important steps towards OCS 196. I still have to get to MEPS and I need to get a nice PFT together and I'll be ready to send my packet to the boards.

ASTB 7/8/6
PFT 12 pull (workin on it), 100 sit, 22:00 run (also workin on it)

...and thats a far cry from the one pull up I did when I went to see the recruiter to get this whole thing started 2 months ago!

bradler

I also called the my OSO and the Ssgt was not aware of any changes yet or heard anything like that. He said there was one date change and that was for TBS. He is double checking and calling me back... let you know.

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
I'm OCC-196 Air and met with my OSO and some other candidates last night for dinner and there was no mention of a date change.

m3urthy

I'm OCC-196 Air and met with my OSO and some other candidates last night for dinner and there was no mention of a date change.

Just got confirmation of the 2 weeks bump up today. Its good gouge.

I'll be going doctor shopping this week to find a surgeon who I like (read: in my budget). I guess I'll be working on my eyes and PFT for the boards to get a SNA slot for January.

Best of luck to all you guys and gals going to OCS for 196!

bradler

Hold the press... I just got off the phone with my OSO... official move up date of OCS 196 is September 23.