• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Oct 2013 IDC/SWO-IDC Options Board

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
I am sure there are a few others that can give a better description, but from my past briefs a SWO IP goes to a ship, qualifies SWO, then paperwork is submitted notifying of your qualification, then your designator is changed and you receive orders for your IP duty, it is not considered a lateral transfer as you have already been accepted by the IP community.

To add to this, I think that SWO-IDC folks have a different designator number from regular SWOs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

jcharles

PRO REC Y 11603 SWO-IP 30AUG13
Thanks for the information! I will definitely have to do more research to make plans for my career path. But for now I need to study for my E6 exam :)

jcharles

Same here, I'm not looking forward to taking it because I always come out of navy testing feeling dumb with a headache lol. Good luck with your exam.

Lol! What is you're rate? Ive been studying for at least 7 weeks now and Im not going to stop studying just because I got PRO Y, besides the exam is next thursday, no point stoping now!;) Thanks! and Goodluck too!

exNavyOffRec

Based on my experience on sea duty, I worked around 2 officers that were SWO-IW and they need to complete 2 DIVO tours at sea, then they are eligible to become IW officers. I can only assume it is the same way with SWO-IP.

According to the sheets that they give OR's, (and the contracts signed) it is only 1 tour for any SWO option, it is a 4 year commitment, 2 sea tours would exceed those 4 years, one tour as SWO, one as the option you were selected for.

The PA also says they "qualify as SWO, then are re-designated without board action"

azguy

None
You guys are on the right track... Current policy is 2x SWO tours (4 yrs) before the transfer. Used to be one tour.

Designator is the same as straight stick SWOs.

exNavyOffRec

You guys are on the right track... Current policy is 2x SWO tours (4 yrs) before the transfer. Used to be one tour.

The new PA says one tour and the information sheet given to the NRD's says one tour.

In talking to some of the IDC officers I worked with about people lateral transferring, they had to do 2 tours and complete their initial SWO obligation.

jcharles

Sounds good to me. 2 SWO tours it is!!! Then IP after... Well what if I decided to stay SWO? Maybe a request from the OCM?

OCShopefulET

PRO-R 1820(IP): 30AUG; FS : 08OCT; OCS: 06APR14
The new PA says one tour and the information sheet given to the NRD's says one tour.

In talking to some of the IDC officers I worked with about people lateral transferring, they had to do 2 tours and complete their initial SWO obligation.

To add to this, I think that SWO-IDC folks have a different designator number from regular SWOs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
Attached is the IP (PA) Program authorization dated 30 APR 2013. Check page 6, read 9.a(2). All the details are listed. The following site is where all the PAs are located.

http://www.cnrc.navy.mil/Program-Authorizations.htm

BeLikeMike

Primary!!!
Lol! What is you're rate? Ive been studying for at least 7 weeks now and Im not going to stop studying just because I got PRO Y, besides the exam is next thursday, no point stoping now!;) Thanks! and Goodluck too!
Aviation Electrician (AE). I've been studying as well and haven't stopped since finding out I Pro Rec Y back at the end of July. Since I'm taking the test early, I've got to score pretty high to advance but can't hurt to try.

Calculon

It's Calculon! Hit the deck!

Did this get changed recently? I do recall seeing it before as one tour then lat x-fer, but the PA's no longer give a specific time

exNavyOffRec

Did this get changed recently? I do recall seeing it before as one tour then lat x-fer, but the PA's no longer give a specific time

The PA changed early this year, it changed preferred degrees and changed the time req'd after becoming an IW or IP to 3 years vice 2, here is the service agreement (this one has been in effect for a few years), basically a SWO option only stays on the ship long enough to get the SWO pin, they go into the IP or IW job.

http://www.cnrc.navy.mil/publications/PDF FORMS/1131_233.pdf

Mr Spenz

"Your brief saved your flight' - every IP
pilot