• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Oct 2013 IDC/SWO-IDC Options Board

zdexter

FS IWO
Hi all,

Congrats to those who had good news today!

So for us non AD, is there a way to find out our results? Or are we at the mercy of NRC taking their sweet time? Im about to strangle my OR for his lack of communication..

exNavyOffRec

I figured I would throw my 2 cents in since my name was thrown out there. First off I understand the need for tech degrees. With that said I do not have a tech degree. I have a BS in Intelligence from the Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA). This particular school has a requirement of a TS clearance in order to attend. In addition, it is one of several schools that military intelligence officers have the option to attend in order to receive their masters. This option puts it on the same level as Naval Postgrad in Monterey. In my opinion if the program is good enough for Officer postgrad it should be good enough to get excepted into OCS. I also understand the need for technical rates. I am not sure how familiar people are with EOD but it is a very technical rate. For a quick crash course, we receive extensive training in both chemical and biological warfare, nuclear weapons, electronic warfare, advanced electronics, etc. Hopefully with these short explanations some can see how I question what is looked for during the board. There are obviously a lot of emotions on this thread right now, both good and bad. So, congratulations to those that were selected and for those that weren't try to take an honest look at your package and try to improve it for the next submission.

PS- AZGUY no need for the zingers and not everyone squanders their opportunity for a REAL degree.

I have a friend that is a retired EODCS, and I understand what you are saying, EOD is one of those jobs that has been grown into more of a tech job, but they are looking at long term for IDC is to have all 2 designators combined to one, so they are starting to look at people they bring in that could do the job of IW and IP as well as Intel.

Lions

NavyOffRec what recommendations do you have to improve the chances of those without tech degrees, outside of just taking a calculus or physics class?

Mr Spenz

"Your brief saved your flight' - every IP
pilot
Congrats to those selected! To those not selected, if there is still time and you are reapplying Good Luck!

Tenzo82

When a person apply for SWO-IW and IW, does the IW community look at IW and SWO-IW? Or does the SWO community talk to the IDC community about the IDC-option candidate?

Tenzo82

I was just on USNAVYOCS and a candidate was selected for 1820 (IP) with a lower OAR(36). She's an IT1 in the Navy. I guess it is crazy because we don't really know what the board is looking for anymore.

exNavyOffRec

NavyOffRec,

Do you happen to know how many SWO-IP got selected for this board? I'm a bit pumped up when you told me that I was a rare selection on that designator.

I do not, but historically the goals are very low for SWO-IP, RUFiO181 should know the exact number.