• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Oct 2013 IDC/SWO-IDC Options Board

Scaevola

Arts and Crafts SME
And another day down with no word. Now I have a Special Agent coming to my place of work next week to talk with coworkers and I don't even know if I'm going in. Lovely.
How did you find out that your investigation was open? From your OR or directly from OPM?

exNavyOffRec

Pro-Rec Y for IW!

According to my OR, the Intel results are still not in yet (I actually had Intel as my first choice and IW as second), but in any case looks like the rest of us non-priors should be hearing very soon. Good luck to everyone!

You are the first person I have seen picked for IW that didn't have calc and physics, you must have had some great LOR's from the state department or someone.

The IDC board is a combined board, it is very strange he doesn't have them all, or he looked in CIRIMS and that is updated manually.

nombrescreeno

The PA changed early this year, it changed preferred degrees and changed the time req'd after becoming an IW or IP to 3 years vice 2, here is the service agreement (this one has been in effect for a few years), basically a SWO option only stays on the ship long enough to get the SWO pin, they go into the IP or IW job.

http://www.cnrc.navy.mil/publications/PDF FORMS/1131_233.pdf

Heard from the IW detailer that the SWO community is now only moving you after your 2nd Divo tour because that is now the MILPERSMAN requirement

exNavyOffRec

Heard from the IW detailer that the SWO community is now only moving you after your 2nd Divo tour because that is now the MILPERSMAN requirement

They haven't changed the service agreement and they would have to change that first, the service agreement trumps MILPERSMAN and the PA

exNavyOffRec

Bullshit flag!

why do you say that, the service agreement is the ONLY legal document and it is briefed as such prior to them signing it, if a person signs a LEGAL document saying they will do X the USN cannot change it to Y, that is why when person goes to OCS and is found NPQ for the designator they signed a service agreement for they are given the option to go home or apply for re-designation.

nombrescreeno

why do you say that, the service agreement is the ONLY legal document and it is briefed as such prior to them signing it, if a person signs a LEGAL document saying they will do X the USN cannot change it to Y, that is why when person goes to OCS and is found NPQ for the designator they signed a service agreement for they are given the option to go home or apply for re-designation.

Are those service agreements also used for those who end up lat-xfering while AD or re-designating at OCS? Or are those service agreements only used for those not already in

azguy

None
Ya agree with you in cases of NPQ for a given community. But at least as a SWO I have seen Divo tour lengths wax and wane for the last 8 years - 4 ROTC, 4 in the community. The MSR (minimum service requirement) doesn't change, but the tour lengths are subject to the whims of the community.

exNavyOffRec

Are those service agreements also used for those who end up lat-xfering while AD or re-designating at OCS? Or are those service agreements only used for those not already in

They would not be used for lateral transfer since it is a NRC form, I believe they are used for OCS re-designations as it gives details about the MSO and how it is split up and the person re-designating would have to sign something agreeing to the re-designation, they could also have an addendum signed, but on the enlisted side a person that needs to change rates at boot camp does have to redo all the contract paperwork discussing the rate they are going into.

exNavyOffRec

Ya agree with you in cases of NPQ for a given community. But at least as a SWO I have seen Divo tour lengths wax and wane for the last 8 years - 4 ROTC, 4 in the community. The MSR (minimum service requirement) doesn't change, but the tour lengths are subject to the whims of the community.

The SWO IP (ENS) I met on a frigate during a tour for NUPOC's was about ready to transfer to her IP job and she had just qualified SWO, according to the service agreement they, just like nukes only stay on that sea tour until they qualify SWO, then off they go. One of my OR counterparts put in a SWO IW or IP (always mixed this guy up), he was told to enjoy his only "true" SWO tour, by our IDC officer.

I think many confuse SWO then lateral transfer with SWO IP/IW, there are VERY few SWO options we are talking about 12-30 people total per FY (rough math used)

OCShopefulET

PRO-R 1820(IP): 30AUG; FS : 08OCT; OCS: 06APR14
I am currently stationed on a FFG, and i have 2 officers on-board here that were selected for SWO-IW: 1 from the Naval Academy, and the other through OCS (selected 2011). I have spoke to both of them in great detail about their career path and they both told me that they spoke to their detailers and heard the same news; they need to complete 2 DIVO tours before they can go IW. 1 of the 2 officers on-board is actually transferring to her 2nd DIVO tour as we speak. Reading the PA for IP/IW, it does not specifically state that they would only need to do 1 tour, and it also does not say that they would need to do 2 tours. It only says that they will have a 4 year obligation as a SWO, and an additional 3 years as an IP/IW. Why do you think that they have a 4 year obligation as a SWO, when DIVO tours are usually 18 - 24 months??? What your saying is just not adding up to most of us. Even though i was selected for direct accession, i still think the 100% correct info should be put out on this site. I think that you should contact the Community Managers/Detailers and get some clarity on this topic so we can lay it down to rest. V/R

Scaevola

Arts and Crafts SME
The agent called me to get a couple of contacts from when I was in college.
The gouge I've read around this and the Navy OCS forum leads me to believe that they don't open a clearance investigation before a pro rec Y. I could be mistaken but I would take this as a good sign!

exNavyOffRec

I am currently stationed on a FFG, and i have 2 officers on-board here that were selected for SWO-IW: 1 from the Naval Academy, and the other through OCS (selected 2011). I have spoke to both of them in great detail about their career path and they both told me that they spoke to their detailers and heard the same news; they need to complete 2 DIVO tours before they can go IW. 1 of the 2 officers on-board is actually transferring to her 2nd DIVO tour as we speak. Reading the PA for IP/IW, it does not specifically state that they would only need to do 1 tour, and it also does not say that they would need to do 2 tours. It only says that they will have a 4 year obligation as a SWO, and an additional 3 years as an IP/IW. Why do you think that they have a 4 year obligation as a SWO, when DIVO tours are usually 18 - 24 months??? What your saying is just not adding up to most of us. Even though i was selected for direct accession, i still think the 100% correct info should be put out on this site. I think that you should contact the Community Managers/Detailers and get some clarity on this topic so we can lay it down to rest. V/R

Those other than OCS would not sign the NAVCRUIT form but this from the service agreement says SWO then off you go, the IW agreement says the same thing, are these officer transferring prior to qualification of their SWO pin? I have seen an officer transferred without a SWO pin to another ship to give her another shot.

Upon acceptance of a commission, I shall be required to serve at least eight years as Officer in the United States Navy, of which four (4) years after receipt of appointment must be on active duty. as required by the 1800 designator. I will be assigned to Division Officer Afloat duties on a fleet unit until completion of an initial Unrestricted Line (URL) experience tour in order to attain Surface Warfare qualification and
thereafter will be automatically redesignated to 1600 Special Duty Officer (IP). I further understand that I must serve for two (2) years following redesignation to 1600 or until the completion of four (4) years from the date of appointment, whichever is later.

also just found the USNA brief for SWO IP, they say "serve initial tour as SWO and upon warfare qualification, designated as IP officer"

OCShopefulET

PRO-R 1820(IP): 30AUG; FS : 08OCT; OCS: 06APR14
Those other than OCS would not sign the NAVCRUIT form but this from the service agreement says SWO then off you go, the IW agreement says the same thing, are these officer transferring prior to qualification of their SWO pin? I have seen an officer transferred without a SWO pin to another ship to give her another shot.

Upon acceptance of a commission, I shall be required to serve at least eight years as Officer in the United States Navy, of which four (4) years after receipt of appointment must be on active duty. as required by the 1800 designator. I will be assigned to Division Officer Afloat duties on a fleet unit until completion of an initial Unrestricted Line (URL) experience tour in order to attain Surface Warfare qualification and
thereafter will be automatically redesignated to 1600 Special Duty Officer (IP). I further understand that I must serve for two (2) years following redesignation to 1600 or until the completion of four (4) years from the date of appointment, whichever is later.

also just found the USNA brief for SWO IP, they say "serve initial tour as SWO and upon warfare qualification, designated as IP officer"

1.) The officer that is transferring is qualed to the brim: SWO pin, OOD, and even EOOW even though she was in CS dept. There are no more prerequisites left for her to do, if she only needed 1 DIVO tour she would be at IW school right now.

2.) In your quote above it mentions 1600 Special Duty Officer (IP), the designators were changed from 16xx to 18xx back in 2010, so your info must be a little dated.

3.) Did you go to the website that has all the current PA's?? Just read what they say and you will see the inconsistencies with what you are going by. http://www.cnrc.navy.mil/Program-Authorizations.htm.

Again, I am selected for direct accession so none of this will directly affect me. However, i am not really sure why it means so much to me to get the correct word out to everyone; maybe that's why i know i will be a good officer that will always take care of my people. Do everyone on this site a favor and stop going off the "Possible" dated papers you are referring to and just contact the source for the 100% correct answer. V/R