• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Oct 2010 board

Sparticusjmr

FS SNA Newport 21 Oct
Eas,
Oh really? My recruiter said there was another board in November? Lots of misinformation going around. That seems to be the trend

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
Eas,
Oh really? My recruiter said there was another board in November? Lots of misinformation going around. That seems to be the trend

No misinformation, there is another board in November, but the application deadline for the November board passes before you receive your October board results. That means a minimum of two months.

Sparticusjmr

FS SNA Newport 21 Oct
Ah good point on the two month minimum. Didn't think that one through. And yes I am definitely focused on making this happen. I agree on the fact that slightly lower scores with no legal record would be a more logical choice. When all else fails put yourself in their shoes. But I will be done with my master's come March, and hope that this will help. Also plan on getting another LOR or two. Working full time plus the schooling doesn't allow for much volunteer time but I will definitely do what I can. Thanks for the help.

bkidd1

In case it helps anybody I got a Pilot slot on this board here are my stats....

SNA
6 6 6 55
Prior Marine ( Air Traffic Controller)
BS Applied Technology Air Traffic Control 3.42
LORS..previous OIC (0-5)
2 former employers
PPL instrument rating ~125 hours
Eagle Scout

JMonte85

Pro-rec SNA
So I got assigned a new recruiter and I called this guy twice and he hasn't responded yet and this was over a week's time. Same ol shit new pile. I want this guy to put me through the meps as quick as he can so I can make sure this time I qualify medically. If I do I wouldn't mind forking over the money and going for a pilot's license with the 6 months I have to reapply.

I was also thinking about going in enlisted as air crew and trying from there. I'm 26 yrs old though, so I'm not sure. I already left this new recruiter 2 messages and he has all my information.. Wtf else do I gotta do to have a conversation with this guy? It's disappointing because I was pretty excited and motivated to press forward and try for round two but it's starting to feel like a re-run again..

Anyone else change their recruiters?

that mike guy

JSUPT primary @ VAFB, Enid, OK
I wouldn't feel comfortable offering advice on the enlisted v officer part (nor the PPL issue) as I'm still new to all of this myself and have no experience in either of those areas, but I will offer my opinion on the recruiter part. My first recruiter experience was not nearly as good as the second one and I ended up swapping.

If the recruiting station isn't that far from your residence, it's worth a drive there to try and get some face time. My recruiter was good about answering/returning calls, but after I met with him and we talked for an hour or so, the amount of attention I got was on a different level. That first time I went in we didn't really talk about that much more than we had over the phone, but I think that meeting gave him a better feel for who I was as a person as well as giving him a face to put with the voice on the telephone. Bottom line (as I tend to ramble): IMHO, a recruiter will work harder to help a person they know (even if they have only just met them) than they would for a voice over the phone or papers on their desk.

Hope you get this sorted out soon, but I believe the next boards aren't until April, so at least you have some time *half-hearted smile*. Good Luck!!

JMonte85

Pro-rec SNA
Thanks buddy.. Yea he actually got back to me today surprisingly. Called him back and got the Vmail :) .. Lol but I told him I'd like to meet up with him if possible this week so hopefully he makes some time.. Thanks again, though that just further motivates me to make the hour drive to talk to him.. I think it will be beneficial for the exact reasons you just said.

Marco

EAGLE,
Don't despair bro, I'm in the same boat. I switched though, b/c my recruiter is headed back to the fleet. I've been trying every way to get in. I've been told no so many times, it really starts to grind on ya. I thought I was in for the November board (according to my processor) turned out my packet made it to the October board. Non-select. So, I'm taking some time to enhance my packet. Intend to retest, got enrolled in a Master's program, and am flying. Dude, I even might be going to C-130 Flight Engineer school as a backup, cuz to me, flying is flying. It sure as hell beats turning a wrench on the ground. By the way, I'm 27 with a wife and two kids. Go to your recruiter's office, if you have to. If you want it bad enough, keep beating on the door til it breaks open or they tell you to piss off. In that case, keep knocking. Try the Coast Guard, Marines, Air National Guard, Air Force, etc. you get the idea. Hell, try the Army. As a reference, those are all services that have seen or will see within the next two weeks an application packet from me, lil' old Air Force SSgt. Holling. Coming from a guy who has been told no for the last two years, Never Give Up.

So I got assigned a new recruiter and I called this guy twice and he hasn't responded yet and this was over a week's time. Same ol shit new pile. I want this guy to put me through the meps as quick as he can so I can make sure this time I qualify medically. If I do I wouldn't mind forking over the money and going for a pilot's license with the 6 months I have to reapply.

I was also thinking about going in enlisted as air crew and trying from there. I'm 26 yrs old though, so I'm not sure. I already left this new recruiter 2 messages and he has all my information.. Wtf else do I gotta do to have a conversation with this guy? It's disappointing because I was pretty excited and motivated to press forward and try for round two but it's starting to feel like a re-run again..

Anyone else change their recruiters?

JMonte85

Pro-rec SNA
Thanks Marco. Yea I'm not willing to give up yet.. He wanted me to retake the ASTB.. for reapplying to do everything I could to improve myself. Which I wouldn't mind doing for a 3rd try but this being my second I think I just want to try other things first. Because my scores are 7 7 6 58 ... I think those are decent if everything else is strong.. Sooo Idk if that is worth risking going down.

What do you all think? My plan was to get some officer interviews, as well as an LOR from my congressman and mayor. And do some more volunteer work and even try to attain a PPL.

Also, for everyone else. My recruiter was saying there was a letter attached to my package that if anything has significantly changed I could reapply for the position before 6 months and before a pilot board. He said it's kind of a grey area. But wasn't for sure. So i will keep you guys posted. I will be talking to him tomorrow and meeting with him.

TheBirdy

pilot
Thanks Marco. Yea I'm not willing to give up yet.. He wanted me to retake the ASTB.. for reapplying to do everything I could to improve myself. Which I wouldn't mind doing for a 3rd try but this being my second I think I just want to try other things first. Because my scores are 7 7 6 58 ... I think those are decent if everything else is strong.. Sooo Idk if that is worth risking going down.

What do you all think? My plan was to get some officer interviews, as well as an LOR from my congressman and mayor. And do some more volunteer work and even try to attain a PPL.

Also, for everyone else. My recruiter was saying there was a letter attached to my package that if anything has significantly changed I could reapply for the position before 6 months and before a pilot board. He said it's kind of a grey area. But wasn't for sure. So i will keep you guys posted. I will be talking to him tomorrow and meeting with him.

My scores are very similar to yours (7/7/7 58). I was suppose to be seen in the Sept. board, then Sept. became Oct. and Oct. became Nov. and now I have to wait till April, providing those are when the next SNA boards are. I talked to my recruiter about improving and revising my package and he told me to leave the ASTB scores as is because they're good. I'd say your scores are fine as they are, no point in messing with them. I'm doing the same in trying to get some officer interviews, officer LORs and perhaps a LOR from a congressman.

Warpig1

Any tips on how to improve my bros package? Other than scoring higher on the ASTB.
Hey man, I know this i late response but I saw that you were an HM and wanted to throw my two cents in. (I was an HM and got selected last year)
First off, if this is truely what you want to do, dont ever think about throwing it away, strive, and you'll get it. I've learned that if you keep asking, the Navy eventually gets tired of hearing it, and will just give you what you want.
As far as the package goes, there are always ways to improve it. Some things are hard to fix, like GPA's. So you just have to make up for it by killing the ASTB. (I know its easier said than done, just study your ass off. The next thing I'd perfect is the motivational statement. I myself, suck at writting. so I came up with a rough draft and took it to a buddy who is a journalism major (who does not suck at writting) and together we came out with a kick ass statement. (all im saying is have someone good with words look it over. Then there are the interviews. I interviewed with something like 10 deffernt O's, then selected the best ones and sent them in. If the ones you have are just ok, then do more until you get what you want. Same thing with LOC's. I had everyone from my former CO's to Willy Irish Driscoll write my LOC's, then I sent in the ones I liked the best.
Anyway, dont let one non-select kill your dream. Tweak the package and reapply. Hope this helps.

mbraesicke

Ranger
Just got a call from my recruiter saying I've got a tentative OCS date of 13 March. Apparently everything has been done and approved, now my final select letter is sitting on Big Navy's desk waiting for the stamp of approval. Guess it's just one more step up on the ladder, but exciting nonetheless!!