• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Oct 2010 board

Senators are Congressmen.

I sent them an email stating my situation and requesting a meeting and I gave them multiple ways of contacting me. I got a phone call about a week later from his secretary asking when I was available to come in.

Just because I like to bust chops; While you are right in that Senators are a member of Congress, when referring to the two sides of the body as a whole, Senators are referred to as Senators, while members of the House of Reps are generally referred to as Congressmen. In essence, if you were to walk up to one of each body, you would say "Good morning Senator" and "Good morning Congressman".

And yes it is just that easy. I wrote an email to Lisa Murkowski and received a response within a day or two requesting more information. I was actually really surprised at the quickness of the response, but then again, they are there to "serve you" as a constituent.

Stalin

The spatial test was completely different from the Barron and ARCO books, it had a bunch of angles and directions not covered in the them.

Come up with a method. If the horizon is higher on the left than the right, then the plane must be banked ______... if the center of the horizon is above the center of the frame, then the plane is _____... there are methods out there that really speed the process along. That's what I did.

The ASTB score's probably my only option. I don't think I could drum up the courage to just hit up random people for favors haha.

Can't drum up enough courage? I don't know about you, but I wanted this more than anything. I did some stuff that I felt very uncomfortable with, and that was very inconvenient. Not trying to be mean, but if you can't even get past the awkwardness of asking someone for help, maybe you don't want the slot badly enough. This is your future, an opportunity of a lifetime. You're going to need to work a bit for it.

jbombs

well my recruiter just emailed me...apparently since I went through MEPS as an enlisted potential before i switched to the officer program my weight didn't match what was on my security clearance papers from when I was at MEPS 6 months ago..so now my packet got pushed back to november. Awesome.

GoVols1998

jbombs, that is an incredibly ridiculous reason to get pushed back. I'm dreading something like that happening to me, and for some reason, I feel like it will.

Salty, I have some greats ideas (my opinion) to help you with the ASTB. #1, there is a great gouge somewhere on this website, just search for it, which judging by the books you're using I think you already have. The Barron and Arco book are GREAT for preparing you for the reading, math, and physics, even though they have a lot of things that I didn't see anywhere on my ASTB (a bunch of random definitions and some types of math problems come to mind). As for the aviation, THOROUGHLY read the FAA handbook. You can find it online for free. If you read it, and put effort into outlining each chapter, then going back and studying that later, you will blow the aviation info out of the water. I started to do that, and then just skimmed over the rest of the book. The parts I outlined I nailed, the parts of skimmed over, I recognized on the test but didn't read them enough to know what the correct answers were. I have noticed people that get 9/9/9 almost always have PPLs and/or a lot of flight experience, so they have already covered that stuff in depth. Also, make sure you read up on nautical terms, nautical operations, and all the parts of a boat. Oh yeah, and as for the spatial apperception, when I took the test I wasted the first 5 minutes freaking out because it looked totally different than the books. Don't do that. Expect Barrons to just give you a little taste and point you in the right direction. If you really want to nail it, try going up on a few flights with an instructor, or even purchasing a flight simulator for your PC/game console. I know it sounds silly, but it can only help. Doing all that, with maximal effort, I think can really boost your scores. I got a 65 8/7/7, but if I don't get accepted this first time, I will probably go back and do all the things I just said and retake the test. Hope that helps.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
I got a 65 8/7/7, but if I don't get accepted this first time, I will probably go back and do all the things I just said and retake the test.

I agree with everything you said above with the exception to this statement. I will tell you if you don't get selected it is not because of your scores. I don't know why you would want to retake the ASTB when you have scores like that! I think you are putting too much emphasis then on the test and not enough on the rest of your package which is probably where your problem would be. That being said this is all hypothetical and from what I have seen you have a strong packet. Good Luck!

GoVols1998

Thanks twobecrazy. I think my motivation to do that just stems from all the 70 9/9/9 I have seen on here. But you make a good point. Retaking the ASTB would probably not be near the top of my list for things to do on a resubmit.

GoVols1998

JollyGood, keep at it and with that package I'm sure you will get a pro-rec sooner rather than later. Your package looks great, but if you don't mind me asking what do you think might have kept you from getting pro-reced? Any sort of police record, or weak motivational statement or anything? What are you plans for improving on your package? In the words of John Paul Jones, "I have not yet begun to fight."

JollyGood

Flashing Dome
pilot
JollyGood, keep at it and with that package I'm sure you will get a pro-rec sooner rather than later. Your package looks great, but if you don't mind me asking what do you think might have kept you from getting pro-reced? Any sort of police record, or weak motivational statement or anything? What are you plans for improving on your package? In the words of John Paul Jones, "I have not yet begun to fight."

Thanks for the encouragement, but to the question:

-No police record except for minor traffic infractions (Speeding and Rolling of Stop Sign; both 6 years ago)
-Motivational Statement: I thought was good, 400 words long, maybe need to redraft it though
-Financial Issue: Unpaid debt for less than $300 from an civil ticket from college (Violation of Noise Ordinance a.k.a. Partying). Paid off in full now though, the moment I discovered it was unpaid. (Long story, but I am thinking this might be the issue)
-No Flight Experience?
-No LORs from Military Personnel?

I am planning to improve my package through obtaining an interview and getting some more volunteer work in. Looking to possibly get some flight time under my belt. Also, I did submit with my weight listed at 250 so I was thinking maybe that was cause for the board to automatically exclude me since I was >235 lbs even though my body fat percentage was around 16-18 percent. Currently, I am hovering around 245 and I trying to cut as much weight as possible, so that would be another possibility. What can I say though, my family is big boned...

Anyone know someone who was a non-select and then pushed through to receive a pro-rec at a later date? Just want to pick someone's brain that has been in this position.

Any suggestions?

I welcome all suggestions because the disappointment I feel just reaffirmed that this is what I want to do and I am just trying to take it as motivation and re-submit at the earliest possible time.

Thanks in advance to all.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
Anyone know someone who was a non-select and then pushed through to receive a pro-rec at a later date? Just want to pick someone's brain that has been in this position.

Any suggestions?

Also, I don't know if your late fine had anything to do with the boards but my app had me as bankrupt which I have never been and I was still selected. The board may have seen that though with no explaination and figured it was a mistake.

I believe there was someone from these boards that applied earlier this year and got picked up this month. Maybe go back a page or two and re-read everything and you will find who I'm speaking of.

bluemarlin04

Here was my package.
6 Years Enlisted. Hm2, LPO of my reserve unit.
45 ASTB
1 year in Iraq- Awards were AAM, LOC, Combat Patch x 3
Interviewed with: Marine Colonel. Navy Commander who was my co in Iraq
LORS from: my oic in Iraq a LT, 2 navy captains who were in my unit, and my senior chief
Scoutmaster and Eagle scout for community service.
UH Manoa BA poli sci 2.9 GPA
Any tips on how to improve my bros package? Other than scoring higher on the ASTB.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
Any tips on how to improve my bros package? Other than scoring higher on the ASTB.

How did he do on those interviews? Were they all 10's?

Those LORs are good in particular the 2 captains. How do those LORs look in content? If LORs are from a really high ranking individuals and they don't make his package POP. I don't know if I would have them in there because that could be a red flag to the board. He might want to get one of those captains to do an interview instead of a LOR.

How was his motivational statement?

Are those awards the only ones he has or does he have others?

How are his evals?