• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Occ196

Conaway

Conaway congrats, hey your fon acebook right, a member of the occ-196 group? For anyone who is heading to 196, applying, or interested join the group its free and there are a lot of discussions.

Thanks! Ya, I'm in the group. Been there for awhile.

Speaking of that... Does anyone know if the rumor is true that the date has been moved up again to 12SEP?

And congratulations Conaway, I look forward to meeting you and everyone else in just under 7 weeks.

I haven't heard anything about 21 Sept. My OSO told me I would go on 22 and report is 23. Things are changing all the time, so I wouldn't get too worked up about a specific day on that weekend since we're going to find out soon enough. Either way, 21, 22, and 23 Sept are all close enough together that we can easily plan our affairs in time.

Same to you man. I'm totally moto right now!

There are groups for 197 and 198 as well for people applying for those.

Ya, I created OCC197, but trying get someone else to take it over. I didn't think I was going to make it into 196 and I couldn't believe it when my OSO told me.

Conaway

My OSO told me that it looks like they will be adding more slots for OCC 196. He said because the Marines are growing that this will continue for each board from now until they reach their goal of 200,000. Anyone heard about the new slots? He also said their is a new colonel and he was going to change the training philosophy a little at OCS.

Ya, I heard that from my OSO too just before I got one of those slots!

Heard the same about the new Col. Apparently the former CO was replaced because there were too many good candidates that were rejected. It has apparently gone from roughly 35% rejection down to about 15%.

Ground&Pound

I heard the training was going to be more intense for a shorter duration to cut down on injury. Basically the new colonel said the goal was to train leaders not marathon runners and too many candidates were getting hurt and not able to complete training. My OSO said that what he got from the conversation was that they want to simulate the stress of combat by increasing the intensity instead of seeing how many miles you can do. He also said the new colonel was going to take attitude into account more than before. The impression he got was that the Colonel wanted motivated and dedicated candidates with heart more than just a PT stud.

Trev82

pilot
conaway

Heard the same about the new Col. Apparently the former CO was replaced because there were too many good candidates that were rejected. It has apparently gone from roughly 35% rejection down to about 15%.

Rejected meaning, not selected for the program or selected then too many were getting dropped from the course..?

Found the link to the doc on marineocs.com

Conaway

I heard the training was going to be more intense for a shorter duration to cut down on injury. Basically the new colonel said the goal was to train leaders not marathon runners and too many candidates were getting hurt and not able to complete training. My OSO said that what he got from the conversation was that they want to simulate the stress of combat by increasing the intensity instead of seeing how many miles you can do. He also said the new colonel was going to take attitude into account more than before. The impression he got was that the Colonel wanted motivated and dedicated candidates with heart more than just a PT stud.

I like this guy already.

Trev82

pilot
Well if thats his philosophy i concur, and not bc of PT fear but b/c i think its more applicable to real life combat. Yes your endurance needs to be tested but if people (good candidates) are constantly getting npq'd for stress fractures and shin splints then maybe restructuring isn't a bad idea. Test candidates on their ability to overcome obstacles, mentally and physicall but to not run them into the ground so that they can't continue even though they are physically fit and mentally strong....

just my .02

Ground&Pound

I agree 100%. In my opinion Marine OCS should always remain the most difficult and demanding military entrance course in the world but times have changed. We know more about the science of human performance than ever before. Maybe the Marines are leading the way again?

docholiday

Do any of you guys have a PPL? I have heard the they are getting a lot of applicants with their PPL making selection pretty tuff.

Lonestar

Do any of you guys have a PPL? I have heard the they are getting a lot of applicants with their PPL making selection pretty tuff.

Negative. I was under the impression that a ppl doesn't make much of a difference with selection for this program. Maybe it does with AF OTS.

Conaway

Negative. I was under the impression that a ppl doesn't make much of a difference with selection for this program. Maybe it does with AF OTS.

You're exactly right. They might say, oh that's cool, but it won't really have much of an effect. The AF prefers PPL before entering service. They love anything you've done that has to do with sitting.

docholiday

Thats what I thought but I just heard that the other day and was wondering if anybody had heard the same. Maybe I'm stressing too much about getting selected.

H1Winger

Too OCC 196

Good luck, I was OCC 193, right around the same time you all are going. I suggest you get off Coronado and get up to Camp Pendleton, run the hills! You will thank me later! Have fun....Ill see you in P-Cola