• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Occ196

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
So your always wearing your PT gear under your cammies?

I did. It really works out to be the best option. I dont think theres anything that says you HAVE to, but its for the better. Also when playing games in the squad bay (getting dressed/undressed by the numbers) it makes things easier. When you get 6 seconds to take your cammies off and get into PT gear and it takes you 4.5 seconds to get your boots untied, you'll be happier they're already on. :D

MasterHaynes86

I do not envy those going to OCS soon... well, maybe about the time u commission i will... lol

i just work silkies and jock straps as underwear for pt and whenever i felt like it...
Mark everything... pickup is fun :) as long as ur shirts are marked with the 1inch stencil centered 1 inch below the collar and ur socks are secured so u wont lose them... all will be well... and i still have my silkies... I left ocs with like 10 pair...

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
...i just work silkies and jock straps as underwear for pt and whenever i felt like it...

Did they make you wear those??

About 2/3 of the way through last summer the company commander made all the guys wear the jock straps under the pt shorts. But up until then we didnt even touch them. A lot of the guys threw them away and had to go out and buy new ones. We only had to do it for the pt sessions though.

Conaway

I wasn't selected in the last board cuase of my PFT, it was a 268. But now have a 280 and hope to get selected in August.

When was your board? Were there any other candidates applying for SNA from your office and if so what were their PFT and ASTB scores like? (This is not only directing this to you. I'd prefer everyone here who has been selected to tell me too.)

My last self-PFT was a 266 (20/100/23:35). My OSO said I need to drop my run time 2 mins and judging by your PFT score that the board didn't like, it seems about right. I am confident I can get my run time down, but I am worried about my ASTB score (5/6/5). I've already told them I want to retake it because I know I can do better. I know that the package is looked at as a whole, but you said you didn't get selected because of your PFT score? I've also read that the ASTB is pass fail at all 6's, is this true because I haven't read or heard it confirmed? My goal of course would be to make a 9/9/9, but realistically I could make 7's. My math is kind of weak, which is why I am worried, but I am working on it.

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
When was your board? Were there any other candidates applying for SNA from your office and if so what were their PFT and ASTB scores like? (This is not only directing this to you. I'd prefer everyone here who has been selected to tell me too.)

My last self-PFT was a 266 (20/100/23:35). My OSO said I need to drop my run time 2 mins and judging by your PFT score that the board didn't like, it seems about right. I am confident I can get my run time down, but I am worried about my ASTB score (5/6/5). I've already told them I want to retake it because I know I can do better. I know that the package is looked at as a whole, but you said you didn't get selected because of your PFT score? I've also read that the ASTB is pass fail at all 6's, is this true because I haven't read or heard it confirmed? My goal of course would be to make a 9/9/9, but realistically I could make 7's. My math is kind of weak, which is why I am worried, but I am working on it.

I don't know if there were other SNA candidates from my OSO's office whose packets were being reviewed while mine was.

From my understanding, a 275+, with a heavy emphasis on doing well in the run, is important for guys looking to go to OCC. Get that run down. How many miles a week are you running? 20 or 25 would be a good number to shoot for. Make sure you're doing speedwork at least twice a week as well.

As for the ASTB, it IS pass/fail for the Marine Corps, according to my OSO.

docholiday

I had 7/7/7 and a 268 for the last board and was not selected but now up to a 280 hope that will help for the August 23 board. I can send you a run split that I have been using that has really improved my run time. I first had 23:25 and now a 21:14 with that split.

Conaway

I don't know if there were other SNA candidates from my OSO's office whose packets were being reviewed while mine was.

From my understanding, a 275+, with a heavy emphasis on doing well in the run, is important for guys looking to go to OCC. Get that run down. How many miles a week are you running? 20 or 25 would be a good number to shoot for. Make sure you're doing speedwork at least twice a week as well.

As for the ASTB, it IS pass/fail for the Marine Corps, according to my OSO.

I am running 10-15 a week, which I know isn't enough. I'm working back up to my 20 a week I was doing in March. I'm also doing cross training. I ride a mountain bike on the road and trails, I do circuit exercises (which I should do more of), I lift 4-5 times a week, and I am starting a track workout this Friday I found on runnersworld.com called The Perfect Mile: Track Workout. Tomorrow a friend that used to run cross country is going to help me write a running workout and I'll add anything you guys can tell me too.

Conaway

I had 7/7/7 and a 268 for the last board and was not selected but now up to a 280 hope that will help for the August 23 board. I can send you a run split that I have been using that has really improved my run time. I first had 23:25 and now a 21:14 with that split.

Sure. I'll PM you my email.

Trev82

pilot
20 mi/week is probably on the higher end only b/c there is a fine line between getting properly prepared and ovetraining. Sticking to 15mi/week and getting in all your speedwork, crosstraining, and distance and saying around 15 can be just as effective and less straining on your body. Make sure to keep a healthy diet kick the booze (as hard as it is), drink LOTS of water, and stay focused and dropping 2min from your run time will come easier than you think...

Conaway

Good advice. As for the diet...check! He also said "no fat", so now I am dieting and cutting weight too. I'm about 15 or 16% right now. It will surely come with the running as well. I've been wanting to get lighter anyway, so this is just more incentive.

OCSCAND

I am also applying for 196 Air. My board PFT last week was 20,100,20.18 so I'm hoping that will get it done. I'd say about 15 miles a week is a good goal for getting the run time down and also not injuring yourself. I dropped about 2 minutes in a month running 3 miles 5 x a week and that was really it. Also my OSO has said to now cut it down to about 3 x a week running and maybe one day of sprints. Just some more routines to throw into the vat of workouts. Who knows which actually works best, seems like a case by case basis.

docholiday

I am also applying for 196 Air. My board PFT last week was 20,100,20.18 so I'm hoping that will get it done. I'd say about 15 miles a week is a good goal for getting the run time down and also not injuring yourself. I dropped about 2 minutes in a month running 3 miles 5 x a week and that was really it. Also my OSO has said to now cut it down to about 3 x a week running and maybe one day of sprints. Just some more routines to throw into the vat of workouts. Who knows which actually works best, seems like a case by case basis.

good luck hope to see you there

DimndDave14

I am applying for AIR 196 out of Houston and was wondering what offices are you guys or gals out of ? Have you heard anything about the availability of AIR slots (ie few and far between or a fair number of them out there) ? Also does anyone know if the boards will be doing any preselect for 197?

Trev82

pilot
Dave

I am applying for AIR 196 out of Houston and was wondering what offices are you guys or gals out of ? Have you heard anything about the availability of AIR slots (ie few and far between or a fair number of them out there) ? Also does anyone know if the boards will be doing any preselect for 197?

I'm out of the San Diego office, and i haven't inquired since being selected what AIR slots are yet remaining.....i would think since your hoping to class up with 196 for an air slot you would have that question already answered from your OSO. I've been through to offices SAC and SD and i've never had a straight answer on whats available.... I was selected for 196 during the 195 board so i would imagine the same applies..good luck and hope to see you there Dave!

OCSCAND

I'm out of the Cincinnati/Covington office but I live in San Diego right now. According to my OSO, he believes there are some slots available for air 196 and a lot of ground. Also I believe they are pre-selecting for 197 as that is what I am doing, if they don't have AIR for 196, I opted to get a pre-select for 197. Call your OSO and tell him thats what you want to do and they can add that note to your package.