• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Occ 188 Who's Going!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevin

"what do you think of my chances"

i think you're screwed.......just kidding. one thing ive learned over the past 2 years is it really doesnt matter what you think your chances are...it matters what the board thinks your chances are. im sure your oso is on the ball enough that he's not going to bother submitting someone's application who isnt remotely competitive.

makoslim

Air candidate 188
188 air contract hopeful. Applied to 187 with a $hitty PFT, didn't get accepted, increased PFT by 31 points, reapplying to 188. I dont know if all of you know about the website www.marineocs.com but it is a similar forum site specifically for Marine OCS candidates/applicants/graduates. Very informative and useful, check it out. anyway...

BA Psychology University of Montana (Go Griz Div-IA beasts!)
2.7GPA
46 combined math verbal ACT
5/6/5 ASTB
274 PFT (20,100,22:14)
am I forgetting anything?

if anyone has any questions (ASTB, waivers, etc...) I am a good source of info, so ask away. any questions I can't answer, deffinately check out marineocs.com, very helpfull! I can't stress enough how helpful they are. Using these two sites together will get you more info than you want!

trongod46

pilot
hey shadow, which OSO are you using, are you still in the Riverside area?, Im out of Orange County, well definately continue to take pft's the more you do the more confident you become in the routine of them, regardless of your score for that day. your best one is the only one the board will see.

trongod46

pilot
hey, yeah the flight physical was fine to me, im a prior 46 crew cheif so ive been gettin flight physicals for a few years now, so no surprise there

Shadow9660

trongod, I live in the high desert (Victorville, Hesperia, Apple Valley area), and I go to the Redlands OSO/San Bernardino county. Went to Miramar for my flight physical. I increased pft the other day...but my OSO said my score was good to go...we'll see...

Also that reminds me...makoslim...I'm applying NFO (to later get prk surgery to lateral transfer to pilot), and flilght physical went fine with blood, urine, xrays...doctor gave qualified recommendation...but i seemed to have a little trouble with the depth perception test....i looked at NAMI's site and this isnt a problem for NFO, as no test is required...but looks like it might be a problem for pilot later on...should i ask for a different type of test and re-do it...or wait to see if they make it a big deal?

makoslim

Air candidate 188
Shadow,
This has been an ongoing discussion at the other site I mentioned. there have been many threads about it. Unfortunately I don't have any personal experience in the area to help you out (better than 20/20 vision). But I know from the posts I've read that the Marine Corp is still changing the rules about LASEK, LASIK, etc... eye surgery. The best thing you can do, is talk to your eye doctor, talk to your OSO, and read up on the different surgeries (not promotional material, they wont tell you enough about the side/after effects. There is a chance with some surgery that your eyes will get better right away, and then fade to worse after a period of time. There is a lot of talk about the "custom" LASIK and LASEK surgeries, but I don't know much about them. Deffinately read up, and find out what your options are within the corp.

Semper Fi
Ryan (AKA mako slim)

kevin

im not sure, but i dont think that eye surgery will correct depth perception. visual accuity, astigmatism yes, but not sure about the dp. that's more about how your eyes work together. if in fact it doesnt help, i'd try practicing. find some depth perception test stuff (borrow one from an eye doctor) and do eye "aerobics".

"I'm in the 188 boat too, anyone else?"

--we have to ride in a boat to 188? woah, BUDDY! nobody said anything about a boat!

kevin

keven? who's keven? actually i kind of like that spelling for my name. i'll send you a pm (sorry, im overly suspicious of who reads this board).

trongod46

pilot
just curious if anyone has heard anything new or different, last i knew the board was nov.16-18 anybody have any other dates, only 3 weeks to go, any ideas on numbers for 188?

leatherneck82

Manassas IFS
Hey
havn't posted in a while. Was turned down for 187 Air for a low PFT (230s). So my determination has definitely suffered. I'm trying to get psyched for 188 but its been hard, but this is my life ambition.
GPA = 3.35
ASVAB = 93
ASTB = 5/6
PFT = 260s
Looking to up my pft to in the 270s November 10 before the board meets. But I have good news for you guys. My gunny says they have 8% of the candidates they need for 188 as of a few weeks ago and he said I could get in this time with the scores I had last time. They are hurting for candidates this time around. I'm not sure how air is looking but all classes are always heavy air. So all you air guys (me included) have a good chance of getting in.

Shadow9660

Leatherneck,
Hey what's up....I've read your posts from 187 back when I was taking the ASTB on the new forms...got a 5/6/6 like you. Also, I heard they were hurtin' for 188 too...I think thats why the deadline for packages is moved up to this Friday (West Coast anyway). What else have you heard, and why were you non selected for 187 (other than PFT) if you dont mind me asking? Keep the posts coming.... Chris

makoslim

Air candidate 188
As much as I want to beleive the rumor about 188 hurting for candidates, I find it hard to believe. In any case, good luck gentleman! I hope we all get in and I can see you there. Leatherneck, what do you want to fly? Im hoping there are slots for the AH-1Z when I get out of initial flight.

Status
Not open for further replies.