• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

O4 List

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
Guy I know dropped his letter last month. . . and selected for O-4 this month. Our commodore, no shit, did the Gene Hackman "I think I have something you might want back. . ." thing to him. Classic.

Meanwhile, guys who only want to stay in get passed over. Crazy world.

MasterBates

Yep, or they get the FITREP that would have made the grade.. About 6 months too late for the board.
(Left VAW with a EP.. After my separation orders were cut)

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Statistics

Here's a statistic that isn't really publicized.

From starting as an ensign you have a 49% chance to make O-5, you have a 24% chance of making Skipper.

So, instead of killing yourself to make Skipper, do what is necessary to make O-5. The retirements are exactly the same.

KBayDog

From starting as an ensign you have a 49% chance to make O-5, you have a 24% chance of making Skipper.

So, instead of killing yourself to make Skipper, do what is necessary to make O-5. The retirements are exactly the same.

OR you can GTFO and become HAL. ;)

MasterBates

Maybe historically those numbers are right, but now? The O-4 numbers are barely over 50%.

I also think this is "if you don't get out" numbers.

Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk 2

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor

Sounds high. Like numbers from the pre-PTS/"Up or Out"-era Navy.

And couldn't one argue that almost 100% of post-command O-5's make O-6, which IS a bigger retirement? Just playing devil's advocate here. . .

KBayDog

And couldn't one argue that almost 100% of post-command O-5's make O-6, which IS a bigger retirement? Just playing devil's advocate here. . .

And, assuming you check the right boxes and the timing is perfect for you to make O-6, the retirement is nothing like what you'd make with your ATP and the metric shit-ton of hours you'd get if you took the "lesser" of the two orders.

devils.jpg

BackOrdered

Contributor

Not so. I had a SWO CO who finished two command afloat tours back to back and has failed every look for O-6 since. Until then, I could have swore two afloat command tours guaranteed O-6. Not that anyone who served under him is complaining if you know what I mean (command climate).

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What price do you put on your soul?

Since when was making Skipper a bad thing? Just because so few on this site have made CO doesn't make it evil, it probably means that most have better things to do than hang out on internet forums. And that is not necessarily a bad thing.

Not so. I had a SWO CO who finished two command afloat tours back to back and has failed every look for O-6 since. Until then, I could have swore two afloat command tours guaranteed O-6. Not that anyone who served under him is complaining if you know what I mean (command climate).

There are always exceptions to the rule but out of the many O-5 COs of operational squadrons I have known only a handful did not make O-6 and those that did not were by choice or because of 'issues' during their tour. I am not as familiar with ship or submarine COs but those I have known who had an O-5 command at sea have made O-6.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Since when was making Skipper a bThere are always exceptions to the rule but out of the many O-5 COs of operational squadrons I have known only a handful did not make O-6 and those that did not were by choice or because of 'issues' during their tour. 6.

Agree Flasher, EVERY Squadron (5), CO I had (12), made O-6, in fact 3 of them made Flag, of which 1 (pictured) retired as VADM - DCNO (Air).:)
VADM Robert Dunn-.jpg VA-146 Patch 1968-1987.jpg
*Our beloved "BusyBee 1" 1966-67

I am not as familiar with ship or submarine COs...

On the 3 Submarines (WW-2 fleet type) COs (O-4) I served under... 2 retired as O-6, and the other was lost as an O-4 in the Thresher tragedy.:(
BzB