• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Nukeproofing?

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Spekkio, I'm going to guess that you're wrong on this one. While the people that you speak of say they don't want to be there, I'm betting that when faced by an admiral they didn't have the sack to sit there and say what the LT did.
Who says the Admiral even bothered to ask them if they wanted to be a part of the nuke community?

Bevo16

pilot
But hey, the sweeping personality generalization based on one example sure was nice :).

Sometimes that's all it takes.

OBTW, it's not one example. I had the "joy" of spending almost a full year at NNPTC, and can smell the a "born nuke" a mile away. You smell.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
Who says the Admiral even bothered to ask them if they wanted to be a part of the nuke community?

Have you ever read or heard anything about Rickover's "style"? I'm not being condescending, just curious.

haubby

None
Contributor
I bet that your friends in your class probably said hell no to being a nuke to all their respective NROTC CoC, but like fc2 said... when it really mattered in front of the Admiral, they froze up and said yes sir, whatever you want sir. Doesn't really matter what questions the Admiral asked. Had they just stood up and said no to the man, they'd be doing what they really wanted to do in the Navy right now instead of complaining that they got screwed in nuke school.

MasterBates

I just think it's jacked up that you are making MIDN's have to say NO to an Admiral before they are commissioned or service select.

Given how 2/3 of the O1/O2s in flight school are scared of LCDRs, I'm not surprised that some give the angry man with the star what he wants.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
it's not the rank of a LCDR that scares most of us, it's the zombie expression, dripping drool, and hinge installed along the back of their dome. Constantly bobbing their heads up and down going, "yes we can do it sir, yes we can do it sir!" scares me the most.

It's what most of us see as an unavoidable future: hingedom.

vulcanx

Banned
I know that at my school 3/4 seniors got selected as sub/swo(N).

I'm trying to prepare myself for the nuke draft, but I also joke that by getting an A in physics, I'm setting myself up for subs.

There is no way that I will actually fail physics just to avoid nuke.

For now, I'm almost looking to drink some nuke coolaid so that I can get over it and stop worrying about how hellish it will be. The last two OIs at my school were sub guys and they wanted to get out post-haste.

exhelodrvr

pilot
This is an olde, crappy rumor that only seems to convince the overly naive.

They threatened to draft people from my class; that resulted in some people going USMC aviation (USMC used to select before the Navy, don't know if they still do) rather than take a chance on being forced to go nuke. That resulted in some guys near the bottom of the class who had always wanted to go USMC not being able to.

There were a lot of great "Rickover interview" stories that (based on knowing the individuals involved) I'm sure are true.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
there should be a new pipeline you can get out of rotc:

midn -> swo nuke/nuke -> attrition/dor and separation from the navy. they could sell it as a guaranteed thing in a navy of uncertainty.

could save some of the headache with the jo manpower issues.