• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Nukeproofing?

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
decided on Texas over the Academy

That's alright, nobody is perfect.:) Seriously though, never EVER try and game the system. All it's going to do is come and bite you in the ass, hard.

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
I got picked up for both programs and decided on Texas over the Academy. Good choice.

I did the same thing coming out of the BOOST program in '89. One of the best decisions I have ever made.

Of course the boat schoolers will scorn us to make themselves feel better. Hmmm... lets see, USNA for 4 years or Austin for 4.5 years?

Hook 'em

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Honestly it could work on a good week, and it could not on many others. How about really getting to the root of the issue and just not being a tech major? And even w/ that said, there was a guy who commissioned with the class after mine who was a liberal arts type major, and ended up getting the whole nuke appreciation "tour". Don't game the system, just do well. It will work out in the end, more than likely with you sitting here in primary assuming you put in some work between now and then, and that you are physically qualified.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
My roommate was recently talking about nukeproofing, the act of an engineering major delibritly keeping his/her GPA below 3.0 in an attempt to avoid the Nuke recruitment. This seems kinda dumb to me, but I was wondering if anyone else has heard of anything like this before. It's not just MIDN who want SNA/SNFO, it's MIDN who want SWO as well.
Considering my nuke class has quantitative economics majors in it with < 3.0 GPAs, your friend's idea sucks.

Seems if you go in and say that you have no interest in being a nuke officer, they would be pretty stupid to select you for it.
You would think so.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
There may be an occasion in life where shooting for mediocrity pays off, but I sure can't think of one and this CERTAINLY isn't one of them.

Don't be stupid. Do as well as you possibly can.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
That also may keep him out of a decent grad program. I don't know if I'd want to be lead by a guy knowing this. The fact he told you says alot about him.

Roger that...

Working the existing system is one thing, but fragging yourself out of a commitment is entirely another.

Pags

N/A
pilot
To quote one of the great philosophers of our time:

"Anything less than your best is a felony"

lmnop

To quote one of the great philosophers of our time:

"Anything less than your best is a felony"

vanilla-ice.jpg

Word.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'll echo what everyone here as already clearly stated: Stupid move.

If you don't want nuke, then don't put it down on your application. The NROTC cannot force your to write down nuke on your application or go to a nuke interview. If they push you to write down 5 choices, make them all the same thing or write down SPEC OPS or SPEC WAR....which you would not likely get unless you passed the pre-requisite Physical and PT test.

On another note, tell your friend to get a vasectomy so he can't reproduce.

-ea6bflyr ;)

Python

pilot
Contributor
The NROTC cannot force your to write down nuke on your application or go to a nuke interview. If they push you to write down 5 choices, make them all the same thing or write down SPEC OPS or SPEC WAR....which you would not likely get unless you passed the pre-requisite Physical and PT test.

I'll disagree. You have to put nuke on your top 5. You can't put spec ops or spec war in your top 3 without a special package and you can't put nuke in your top 3 without a special nuke form filled out. Plus we get yelled at for gaming the system by putting that stuff down (obvious fillers that are impossible to get).

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Yeah, I tried putting SPECOPS down as my 3rd choice (behind SNA and SNFO) so I wouldn't have to put Nuke or SWO. CNET wouldn't allow it. They said that it can only be put down as a 1st or 2nd choice.

The new system may force you to put nuke on your dream sheet, but that doesn't mean you have to accept it. Like I said earlier, if they send you to DC for the interview, just say "thanks, but no thanks".

In your best Alaskan accent.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'll disagree. You have to put nuke on your top 5. You can't put spec ops or spec war in your top 3 without a special package and you can't put nuke in your top 3 without a special nuke form filled out. Plus we get yelled at for gaming the system by putting that stuff down (obvious fillers that are impossible to get).

That's total BS: "Write down something that you don't want." Sounds like a jacked up way to do business.

-ea6bflyr ;)

navy09

None
Python is right- the system is now set up so everyone HAS to put down a nuke choice. So they can't "force" you to go nuke, they just force you to put it down...make sense??? :confused:

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
This is an olde, crappy rumor that only seems to convince the overly naive.

I remember hearing it when I had to put in my final preferences at USNA. "Anyone with a 3.0 or above and a nuke choice in their top 3 WILL go to an interview."

Didn't happen. Not going to happen, at least not without a huge change in the collective nuke community mentality. Nuke power, just like aviation, is all volunteer. Shortage or not, they are not going to just grab warm bodies to fill slots.

Closest thing to this rumor coming to fruition that I've ever heard was my sponsor dad at USNA. He rolled off his first tour as an F-8 driver with an EP fitrep, and received a letter from Rickover telling him he had to come to Washington for a nuke interview. LT Dave went to DC at the appointed time, waited for over an hour after his scheduled time, then finally walked out to use the head. Rickover almost immediately blasted open the door and screamed at the LT while he's there using the urinal. the exchange was something to the effect of:

Rickover: What are you doing? My aide told you to wait for me in the waiting room. Why aren't you there?

LT Dave: Well, sir, it's been over an hour since my appointment and I really had to pee.

R: That's no way to talk to an Admiral. You'll never be a submariner acting like that.

LT: Fine with me. I don't know why I was sent here in the first place. I just wanna fly planes, sir.

R: Is that so? Well we're done. Get out of here, I don't want you on my boats.

LT: Aye, aye.

Epilogue: (Then) LT Dave went on to a long and distinguished career in naval aviation, culminating in command of the Kitty Hawk.