• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Nukeproofing?

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Didn't happen. Not going to happen, at least not without a huge change in the collective nuke community mentality. Nuke power, just like aviation, is all volunteer. Shortage or not, they are not going to just grab warm bodies to fill slots.
You are wrong.

There are multiple people in my nuke class who wanted no part of nuclear power, but it was on their list because they had to put 5 choices, and there aren't too many URL positions to choose from. A few were denied SWO in favor of going submarines.

Rickover is dead, so I really don't see what his interview style has to do with anything.

lmnop

Rickover is dead, so I really don't see what his interview style has to do with anything.

I'm not an expert, but it appeared to be a humorous anecdote. Did somebody shit in your corn flakes this morning or does nuke school just do that to a fella?

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
My roommate was recently talking about nukeproofing, the act of an engineering major delibritly keeping his/her GPA below 3.0 in an attempt to avoid the Nuke recruitment. This seems kinda dumb to me, but I was wondering if anyone else has heard of anything like this before. It's not just MIDN who want SNA/SNFO, it's MIDN who want SWO as well.

Does he use the name "Integer" as his alter ego in any forums?

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I'm not an expert, but it appeared to be a humorous anecdote. Did somebody shit in your corn flakes this morning or does nuke school just do that to a fella?
I am as upset at the "nuke draft" almost as much as the guys that don't want to be in the program. It kills morale, and the command keeps bitching that our class average is lower than normal.

haubby

None
Contributor
I am as upset at the "nuke draft" almost as much as the guys that don't want to be in the program. It kills morale, and the command keeps bitching that our class average is lower than normal.

Get over it and welcome to the fleet. Not necessarily aimed at you but you seem to love being a baby Nuke. Its the Navy, people are going complain. Get to your boat, qet your dolphins, then talk about monstrosity that is being a Nuke.

Bevo16

pilot

Wow. A total inability to grasp humor and you mock it's value. You are going to fit right in with the Nuke community.

Maybe it's not the process that got you there. It seems like it was destiny.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Wow. A total inability to grasp humor and you mock it's value. You are going to fit right in with the Nuke community.

Maybe it's not the process that got you there. It seems like it was destiny.
No, I didn't get the joke. Lost in translation to writing. Seemed to me that it was an example to debunk the claim that people were being forced into the nuke community. Sue me.

But hey, the sweeping personality generalization based on one example sure was nice :).

Get over it and welcome to the fleet. Not necessarily aimed at you but you seem to love being a baby Nuke. Its the Navy, people are going complain. Get to your boat, qet your dolphins, then talk about monstrosity that is being a Nuke.
Oh I understand that people will complain regardless, but there's a difference between complaining about a shitty part of the job and overall just not wanting to be in a community at all and/or feeling hosed into the job. Do you deal with people complaining on a daily basis about being "forced" into aviation, particularly when they were well below the normal standard for the community during college?

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
You are wrong.

There are multiple people in my nuke class who wanted no part of nuclear power, but it was on their list because they had to put 5 choices, and there aren't too many URL positions to choose from. A few were denied SWO in favor of going submarines.

Spekkio, I'm going to guess that you're wrong on this one. While the people that you speak of say they don't want to be there, I'm betting that when faced by an admiral they didn't have the sack to sit there and say what the LT did. They couldn't tell an admiral that they didn't want to be a nuke. I know at least one person that happend to, and another who sat there and told the admiral he wanted no part of being a nuke. Two went in, one came back a nuke, the other came back with a paid vacation to DC and is currently studying engines at API. Bottom line, you can't be forced into nuke. I don't care what they say to you, if they told the admiral that they have no desire to be a nuke, they won't be sitting in the class with you.