• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Nukeproofing?

sickboy

pilot
My roommate was recently talking about nukeproofing, the act of an engineering major delibritly keeping his/her GPA below 3.0 in an attempt to avoid the Nuke recruitment. This seems kinda dumb to me, but I was wondering if anyone else has heard of anything like this before. It's not just MIDN who want SNA/SNFO, it's MIDN who want SWO as well.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Hmmm, deliberately lower your GPA while in NROTC....your roommate is nuts.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
Kind of sounds like the playing the thirds system. I think its dumb to try to gamble with things like that. Apply for what you want, bust your ass to qualify/earn it, be happy. Intentionally hurting yourself to help yourself just sounds stupid. Its like making yourself bleed a little so that you weigh less for your pft

Ace_Austin

pilot
If they have that kinda common sense.... maybe it's better they go nuke or SWO. I sure as hell don't want them in my airplane.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Retarded. If they "force" you to go to a nuke interview just tell them that you do not want to be a nuke. They'll thank you for your time and send you on your way, no harm done.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
As others have said, I'm going to pile one on for the "your friend is being retarded" side...

BackOrdered

Contributor
That also may keep him out of a decent grad program. I don't know if I'd want to be lead by a guy knowing this. The fact he told you says alot about him.

Bevo16

pilot
It's an interesting concept.

In my former life, I was an enlisted fireman going through nuke MM "A" school. You had to graduate "A" school with at least a 2.75 to pass on to power school but a 2.50 would be good enough to pass the course and get you "push button" 3rd class crow. There was constant talk about what grades you had to get in order to "shoot the gap" between 2.5-2.75, get promoted and not have to go to power school. Those efforts were successfully squashed when they took a kid to mast for shooting the gap and found him guilty of dereliction of duty. He went from a frocked 3rd class to fireman recruit.

I passed MM "A" but was a week 5 auto-drop from power school. My grades were so bad that I did not even get a board. Then I went up to Groton for BESS, A-gang school, and I put in a package for ROTC and the USNA while at the school house. I learned enough additional math at nuke school to put my SAT well into the 1400's and I got picked up for both programs and decided on Texas over the Academy. Good choice.

They can't MAKE you go nuke, can they? Don't you have to go in for the big interview and everything? Seems if you go in and say that you have no interest in being a nuke officer, they would be pretty stupid to select you for it.