• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NSS Facts

Heloanjin

pilot
Do IPs understand MPTS? With few exceptions, yes. This is because IPs have a copy of MPTS. Most carried it around in their flight suit for at least their first couple months of instructing. And, they have all read it, although perhaps not cover to cover.

Do IPs understand NSS? Unfortunately, most NSS knowledge is based on gouge which we know has a great risk of being, at best, inaccurate. You may be hard pressed to find an IP who has actually read the instruction providing guidance on NSS. That doesn't mean they are wrong. But there is a lot of bad gouge out there. This is why I started this post.

Why do IPs get frustrated with this conversation? The mystery of NSS has been explained in this thread and yet someone still adds a post wondering how they got the NSS they got. If you think someone had points added to his NSS, you are wrong. Read the thread. If you think it is always best to have fewer graded items, you are wrong. Read the thread. If you think it should be easy to calculate your NSS any time you are in training, you are wrong. Read the thread.

The answers are all here in the thread. Well, maybe not ALL the answers. But at least the answers relating to NSS.

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
If you are referring to me, I was speaking in the hypothetical. I had said named information in the first post (for the most part) because our squadron updated that stuff. We were dished our "squadron NSS" per stage based on what it *would* be that month crossed against other completers' performance in that stage (setting a curve for each stage). Or so we were told. I never took a look at their actual equations.

When studs talk about points added or cut, they are referring to the projected score they get. I knew going in that would be off. But it is easier to say added or cut rather than get into a stastics conversation.

The real question is, "Why is the correct information in this thread not proveded in plain english to students coming in so they don't have to sweat blood wondering."

But hey, water under the bridge now.

Heloanjin

pilot
Wasn't refering to any particular post or poster. Just the general conversation.

As to how you phrased adding points to NSS, well, this is where bad gouge starts. You knew what you meant. But the guy next to you thought you meant something else and, well, we all know where it goes from there. The myth about adjusting NSS up or down has been around for better than 20 years. It'll never go away. But maybe fewer people will recite it.

Anyhow, I wasn't trying to shut down the conversation. Just felt like adding a couple more pounds of uninteresting opinion.

staff03

couple of questions

1. when you start primary how much, if any, time do you spend training on a flight simulator? and if you do, does it work into your nss score or does that start when you get into the real thing?

2. how many people are you usually competing against in primary? and of those, on average how many people even earn an nss that is high enough to get jets? is it only a few people competing for it or do quite a few earn a high enough score in the typical class?

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
1. when you start primary how much, if any, time do you spend training on a flight simulator? and if you do, does it work into your nss score or does that start when you get into the real thing?

2. how many people are you usually competing against in primary? and of those, on average how many people even earn an nss that is high enough to get jets? is it only a few people competing for it or do quite a few earn a high enough score in the typical class?

1. You get simulator time in Primary, but I have a feeling it's different from what you're expecting. They have motion, but no screens to give an outside view. The canopies are blacked out because the sims are meant for instrument training only. Instruments are a significant part of the Primary sylabus, so your sim events count!

2. It's hard to say how many people youre competing against. Supposedly the way NSS works is to compare your performance next to the 200 students that finished before you. It's not like you're competing against a specific group of students for scores (for example, the class you start in).

You need a 50 to qualify for tailhook. NSS is simply a bell curve, and 50 is the median. So if you look at it that way, half of the students will have a 50 or higher. Again, this is for a given period of time.

or you can just accept the fact that NSS is an imperfect system, probably why it is going away

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
So you CANNOT say, "don't grade this"? If so, I thought it sounded a little out there in left field for the military, giving students that kind of power. Even if you could, I doubt I would ever NOT have something graded. All through school, when given certain choices to take "another test" or "do another homework assignment" I have always been one for voting FOR the decision.
If you have previous flight experience (more than just a little) you can skip events if the squadron lets you....By skipping events, you have fewer graded items and thus will get a higher NSS....unless you have at least a commercial license, it will not even apply to you.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor

1. A good bit, without looking at my logbook for actual number of hours, I think it's about 13 sims you have to do throughout primary. All of those grades count towards your nss.

2. Varies widely week to week. The week I selected I think there was about 35 people across all 5 squadrons, other weeks I've heard that there may only be 20. Just depends.

XeroJaeger

1. A good bit, without looking at my logbook for actual number of hours, I think it's about 13 sims you have to do throughout primary. All of those grades count towards your nss.

2. Varies widely week to week. The week I selected I think there was about 35 people across all 5 squadrons, other weeks I've heard that there may only be 20. Just depends.

IBB - Are you counting CPT's with your count of sims? I have CPT3 today at 2000, and the gouge I've heard says that CPTs don't count for anything except your onwing's first impression. Is that correct?

-X.

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
No, that has been changed. This is a very old thread in terms of stucon issues. CPTs count. See the CNATRA instruction, linked on a thread on this website (from around August 08), which you can find with the "searching function."

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
IBB - Are you counting CPT's with your count of sims? I have CPT3 today at 2000, and the gouge I've heard says that CPTs don't count for anything except your onwing's first impression. Is that correct?

-X.

Here's my two cents and maybe your thinking is this anyway, on all events, you simply do the best you can. Does not matter if it counts, does not count, you simply perform your best. Don't get wrapped around the grading.

XeroJaeger

Roger that. Trying to do exactly that - just bust balls on everything and let the chips fall. It just seems like there is a lot of gouge and not a lot of fact floating around about how stuff is graded, and what stuff is graded.

-X.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
And don't be one of the guys who loses it after a bad flight. It happens to everyone, both in primary and beyond. This kind of goes along with not stressing about what counts, what doesn't, and whether your CPT's will harm your NSS. Honestly, I sucked at CPTs and I am not the only one I know who didn't do that great at them and still ended up with what I wanted out of primary. To this day I don't know whether they counted for us or not.....it just wasn't a very meaningful stage in terms of overall grades.