• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NSS Facts

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
It just seems like there is a lot of gouge and not a lot of fact floating around about how stuff is graded, and what stuff is graded.

-X.

That's because there only needs to be one instruction (whose name escapes me but it's what Beans is talking about). People (and by people, I mean both IPs and studs...but mostly studs) don't want to go look up an instruction, so they just keep regurgitating the gouge and adding their two cents.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
IBB - Are you counting CPT's with your count of sims? I have CPT3 today at 2000, and the gouge I've heard says that CPTs don't count for anything except your onwing's first impression. Is that correct?

-X.

You never get a second chance to make a first impression, so yes, it counts.

XeroJaeger

I hadn't worried about CPTs until yesterday. I rockstar'ed my brief and did a perfect 'helmet fire - execute' emergency procedure. My instructor gift-wrapped my grades because I totally fell apart. Guess I worried about grades too much. See if that crap happens again. But thanks for the NSS update.

-X.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
You had that bad of a helmet fire in a CPT? You better see the doc to get a Zanax perscription before you get in the plane.

Just kidding. Remember, slow is smooth and smooth is fast. And take advantage of the static cockpits. For some reason in advanced we don't have any static cockpits, which means we have cage matches to determine who gets one of the 3 available practice sim slots per day.

Either that or we steal the NFOs' glasses, step on them, then take their sim time.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
For some reason in advanced we don't have any static cockpits, which means we have cage matches to determine who gets one of the 3 available practice sim slots per day.

Either that or we steal the NFOs' glasses, step on them, then take their sim time.

Can't you just go out and sit in a real airplane?

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
Can't you just go out and sit in a real airplane?

If it still has an ejection seat in it, sure. You can get in a cockpit about 50% of the time during banker's hours, once you have your seat qual and your first 2 cockpit sims. It just would be nice to have one static cockpit and I can't imagine it would be that expensive. They have plenty of t-45's on sticks already.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Ahh, I saw Corpus on your user name and thought you were talking props.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
The true formula is no secret. For those in a Navy command (not at Vance or Randolf) it is part of the training curriculum guide handed out to every student. Sorry, I don’t know the USAF formula. In the syllabus guide, it is called PAS, which is NSS. The formula is:

PAS=.9[50+10(S-M1)/S1] + .1[50+10(M2-TGI)/S2]
Yeah, I'm gonna bring up the NSS thing again :eek:

If you get a certain PAS in Contacts (say 1.2ish) and another in Instruments (1.5ish) and so forth, how do those combine to give you the final PAS used to calculate your NSS? Are certain phases weighted more than others?

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
NFS Score. The NFS’s score (S) for any event, block, or
phase is the sum of the NFS’s grades for gradable maneuvers in
both the aircraft and simulator divided by the sum of the MIF for
those maneuvers (i.e., Grade/MIF). Rules for summation of score
across blocks and phase are as follows:
(1) Block score is calculated as the sum of item grades
counted toward PAS within a block divided by the sum of the MIF
for those same items. Block score is not calculated as the
average of the event scores within a block.
(2) Phase score is calculated as the sum of item grades
counted toward PAS within a phase of training divided by the sum
of the MIF for those same items. Phase score is not calculated
as the average of the block scores within a phase or event scores
within a phase.

The formula for NSS is in the front of your MCG. Page 1-2 for T-6B JPPT.

I can see that, but my question is from the TA manual. If the Phase scores (Contacts) are derived from the individual block scores (C4100, C4200, etc), then how do they combine the different Phases into a final PAS (Contacts + Instruments+ Forms, etc) to put in the equation you referenced?

The only reason I ask is because my Contacts PAS scores are completely seperate from my Instrument PAS scores in my ATJ.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
NFS Score. The NFS’s score (S) for any event, block, or
phase is the sum of the NFS’s grades for gradable maneuvers in
both the aircraft and simulator divided by the sum of the MIF for
those maneuvers (i.e., Grade/MIF). Rules for summation of score
across blocks and phase are as follows:
(1) Block score is calculated as the sum of item grades
counted toward PAS within a block divided by the sum of the MIF
for those same items. Block score is not calculated as the
average of the event scores within a block.
(2) Phase score is calculated as the sum of item grades
counted toward PAS within a phase of training divided by the sum
of the MIF for those same items. Phase score is not calculated
as the average of the block scores within a phase or event scores
within a phase.

I can see that, but my question is from the TA manual. If the Phase scores (Contacts) are derived from the individual block scores (C4100, C4200, etc), then how do they combine the different Phases into a final PAS (Contacts + Instruments+ Forms, etc) to put in the equation you referenced?

You're effing nuking it!
Just do your best and put what you want as #1. If you get what you want then get hammered and celebrate with your buddies. If you don't then get hammered and commiserate with your buddies. Wake up the next afternoon and realize that every is going to suck at first wherever they are going.

KBayDog

Don't worry about it. You can't directly control your NSS anyway.

What can you directly control? Your ability to meet/exceed CTS as often as possible. Learn what the CTS is for each maneuver, and strive to meet or exceed those standards on every hop.

You should be familiar with what constitutes CTS, because it is impossible to know if you met CTS (4) on an item if you don't know what the standards are! Most flights have "standard" graded items (General Knowledge, EPs, etc.), and each block has only a handful of unique graded maneuvers. Getting familiar with the standards to which you are being graded doesn't take a lot of effort.

(No, there is no real syllabus requirement for knowing what constitutes CTS...but since you're obviously concerned about your grades, you might want to start with knowing what you're evaluated on during every flight.)

jtmedli

pilot
You're effing nuking it!
Just do your best and put what you want as #1. If you get what you want then get hammered and celebrate with your buddies. If you don't then get hammered and commiserate with your buddies. Wake up the next afternoon and realize that every is going to suck at first wherever they are going.

Or you could just STFU with your whining and complaining and be glad that you're getting paid to fly. I can understand complaining about doing NKOs or the other painful shit we have to put up with, but don't complain about getting to fly jets/helos/p3s/c130s/whatever. You're getting paid to fly for the rest of your life and youre going to be flying cool stuff whereever you go. AND the best part of all of it is that you're a Naval Aviator and you are both fixed wing and rotary wing rated (provided you go helos) and can be pretty much fly whatever you want later on in your career be it military a/c or not.

The NSS isn't a completely 'fair' system and isn't always an accurate representation of someone's flying abilities. It fluctuates with the wind, in some cases, and is a mathematically flawed method of comparing stud A and stud B (and in the current primary situation, both of those guys probably didn't even fly the same a/c). So the takeaway from this who 5 pages of thread was back on page 1: There is absolutely nothing you can do about it except work hard, do your best, play the game in primary (and advanced for that matter), and be glad that you're getting paid to fly.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Or you could just STFU with your whining and complaining and be glad that you're getting paid to fly. I can understand complaining about doing NKOs or the other painful shit we have to put up with, but don't complain about getting to fly jets/helos/p3s/c130s/whatever. You're getting paid to fly for the rest of your life and youre going to be flying cool stuff whereever you go. AND the best part of all of it is that you're a Naval Aviator and you are both fixed wing and rotary wing rated (provided you go helos) and can be pretty much fly whatever you want later on in your career be it military a/c or not.

The NSS isn't a completely 'fair' system and isn't always an accurate representation of someone's flying abilities. It fluctuates with the wind, in some cases, and is a mathematically flawed method of comparing stud A and stud B (and in the current primary situation, both of those guys probably didn't even fly the same a/c). So the takeaway from this who 5 pages of thread was back on page 1: There is absolutely nothing you can do about it except work hard, do your best, play the game in primary (and advanced for that matter), and be glad that you're getting paid to fly.
First off, if you don't have anything constructive to say, you STFU and keep scrolling bro. Nobody's complaining about anything, just trying to accurately understand.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Don't worry about it. You can't directly control your NSS anyway.

What can you directly control? Your ability to meet/exceed CTS as often as possible. Learn what the CTS is for each maneuver, and strive to meet or exceed those standards on every hop.

You should be familiar with what constitutes CTS, because it is impossible to know if you met CTS (4) on an item if you don't know what the standards are! Most flights have "standard" graded items (General Knowledge, EPs, etc.), and each block has only a handful of unique graded maneuvers. Getting familiar with the standards to which you are being graded doesn't take a lot of effort.

(No, there is no real syllabus requirement for knowing what constitutes CTS...but since you're obviously concerned about your grades, you might want to start with knowing what you're evaluated on during every flight.)

Thanks, Sir. I'm not trying to control my NSS, just want to understand the process. As stated earlier in this thread, mistakes happen. In my time in the Navy I've learned that no one is going to be as concerned about my career as me.