• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

November 2010 Board

jbombs

well after being selected in the NOV '10 boards, and finally getting all my paperwork filed through MEPS, my recruiter called me yesterday and informed me that because I had LASIK eye surgery (Feb '09) I am disqualified for SNA, even though I passed all my eye exams. I am really bummed to find this out, and even though I was also selected for NFO and am still able to accept that slot, I really wanted to be a pilot. I understand now that PRK is the only waiverable eye surgery apparently, and I wish my recruiter had informed me of this earlier. Anyone else know anybody who got DQ'd for LASIK?

Edit:
Well after doing some searching it does appear that this whole LASIK thing hasn't been sorted out yet, so I guess I'm just SOL. It is unfortunate but life goes on, I'm going to talk to an Aviation Officer at my recruiting station next week about being an NFO, and while I have the utmost respect for the men and women in the Naval Aviation community, I really had my heart set on being a pilot and I am not all that interested in becoming an NFO. I appreciate all the help and companionship that this board has provided but it looks like my flying days are over before they begun. It was an honor to be selected at least, and for that I am proud.

JMonte85

Pro-rec SNA
5 years form now when you're working at some routine job.. sipping your coffee and listening to the same nagging boss about the same issues, that are just not important to anyone, but this Nimrod, who is on your ass so he can get his bonus at the end of the year.. You might think back to this time and say, "damn, I could of had an exciting worthwhile job.. but I made the mistake, because I didn't think I'd like having the time of my life." (as you go back to sipping coffee and staring at the clock, awaiting lunchtime, just for a break in the cycle).

GreenLantern330

well after being selected in the NOV '10 boards, and finally getting all my paperwork filed through MEPS, my recruiter called me yesterday and informed me that because I had LASIK eye surgery (Feb '09) I am disqualified for SNA, even though I passed all my eye exams. I am really bummed to find this out, and even though I was also selected for NFO and am still able to accept that slot, I really wanted to be a pilot. I understand now that PRK is the only waiverable eye surgery apparently, and I wish my recruiter had informed me of this earlier. Anyone else know anybody who got DQ'd for LASIK?

Edit:
Well after doing some searching it does appear that this whole LASIK thing hasn't been sorted out yet, so I guess I'm just SOL. It is unfortunate but life goes on, I'm going to talk to an Aviation Officer at my recruiting station next week about being an NFO, and while I have the utmost respect for the men and women in the Naval Aviation community, I really had my heart set on being a pilot and I am not all that interested in becoming an NFO. I appreciate all the help and companionship that this board has provided but it looks like my flying days are over before they begun. It was an honor to be selected at least, and for that I am proud.

If you're not interested at all, then why bother applying for NFO?

jbombs

Eagle,
I understand what you are trying to say, but I am not just going to get a normal job, I'm applying to the Army.

As to the NFO question, that is certainly a valid one, but i said I am not all that interested, not I am not interested at all. I am not making any decisions until after I talk to that Aviation Officer this week, its just that I really preferred SNA over NFO. My recruiter recommended I apply for all positions and listened to him.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
As to the NFO question, that is certainly a valid one, but i said I am not all that interested, not I am not interested at all. I am not making any decisions until after I talk to that Aviation Officer this week, its just that I really preferred SNA over NFO. My recruiter recommended I apply for all positions and listened to him.

Here is the deal. If you are not all that interested or really not interested at all is beyond the point. If you are wanting to fly and be a Naval Officer that is one thing but if you want to control the aircraft then don't join the Navy. You will not be at the controls in the Navy and you will be wasting everyone’s time if you want the controls. You must be willing to fly and be a Naval Officer to want NFO. You can join the Army as a CWO and fly your face off while holding the stick and still be a leader. You can also be an officer in the Army and fly a bunch initially but then you will eventually progress out of that while you climb the ranks. That being said I'm sure all the NFOs and NAs will tell you how rewarding and important the job a NFO has. But to do it successfully you must TRULY WANT IT and be HAPPY DOING IT! You can talk to someone all day long but in the end you must answer the question do I want to be at the controls or will I be happy to ride.

bwh06b

FS SNA
Got MEPS knocked out last week. My recruiter says I should hear something back here in the next couple of weeks. Can't wait to get an OCS date.

JMonte85

Pro-rec SNA
I'm a strong believer in, everything happens for a reason.. You shouldn't mess with fate. If you were supposed to be a NA you would have been an NA.. You're given an opportunity to do what many still dream of doing. Who is to say the Army will not follow the same guidelines for Lasik..

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
Two, you're nuts man. Even going so far as to cite the Idaho Army National Guard. That's dedication. Are you guys snowed in over in COMO?

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
Two, you're nuts man. Even going so far as to cite the Idaho Army National Guard. That's dedication. Are you guys snowed in over in COMO?

HAHAHA... I'm just bored... ;)

I should update that. I'm not in COMO anymore so I don't know if there is any snow there. I graduated and moved back home to STL now. News here said we are supposed to get some today though but not until later this afternoon.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
HAHAHA... I'm just bored... ;)

I should update that. I'm not in COMO anymore so I don't know if there is any snow there. I graduated and moved back home to STL now. News here said we are supposed to get some today though but not until later this afternoon.

Any word on an OCS date for you yet?

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
Any word on an OCS date for you yet?

Nope. We thought I didn't have to do background stuff for my FS because I already had one. Well my clearance is going to expire in the next 5 months so they wanted me to do the paperwork now and get it out of the way. Lucky for me I already had it done so now we are just waiting to hear back on it now. Hopefully I will hear back with a FS sooner rather than later. ;)

MPK

Anybody else get an April 24th start date? I was just told that's me, which was pretty surprising considering others have posted that their processors are saying it's full through summer. But sometimes you have to wade through all the BS...hopefully my date isn't, though.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
Anybody else get an April 24th start date? I was just told that's me, which was pretty surprising considering others have posted that their processors are saying it's full through summer. But sometimes you have to wade through all the BS...hopefully my date isn't, though.

What designator were you Pro-Rec'd for?