• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

No more DCOIC?

Hair Warrior

Contributor
And that gets to the heart of it, the Navy Reserve has become a 'free labor' gap filler for enduring requirements overseas that will not be ending anytime soon. While some are going to designator-specific billets many aren't, or are going billets that could be filled by Intel Brand X from any service or even civilians. cutting down on those would leave a lot of Intel types, along with a few others, with even less to do than now.
Yes, AND we need to remember that Congress and voters see value in maintaining a strategic reserve military force in case of emergent (i.e. non-enduring) contingencies. NSS, NDS, NMS are all replete with “return to great power competition” this, and “near peer adversary” that.

The United States is okay with paying for a few drill weekends and ATs in order to have a Guard & Reserve on hand in case of war. It’s part of the risk mitigation after eliminating the draft.

Last edited:

bluemarlin04

Yes, AND we need to remember that Congress and voters see value in maintaining a strategic reserve military force in case of emergent (i.e. non-enduring) contingencies. NSS, NDS, NMS are all replete with “return to great power competition” this, and “near peer adversary” that.

The United States is okay with paying for a few drill weekends and ATs in order to have a SELRES force on hand in case of war. It’s part of the risk mitigation after eliminating the draft.

I got no problems with maintaining a force. But Flash's point is valid.

The Navy should not be responsible to fill billets overseas that the Army cant fill. Dropping in officers in blind designator billets is a surefire way to kill retention.

D

Deleted member 67144 scul

My impression is that Big Navy wants it this way. By filling the hard-fill sandbox mob’s, the Navy demonstrates value and can argue for continued or increased funding from Congress. It’s the money.

Seems like threatening to decommission CVNs does that just well enough. ;)

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My impression is that Big Navy wants it this way. By filling the hard-fill sandbox mob’s, the Navy demonstrates value and can argue for continued or increased funding from Congress. It’s the money.

Huh, and here I thought it was because it was because the Navy volunteered up for a mission then sloughed it off to the reserves and haven't thought of it much since. The cynicism is courtesy a year spent in a useless billet, doing useless bullshit work for a useless command that twiddled its thumbs while denying reality.

Not entirely accurate but it ain't completely inaccurate either. The Navy will keep doing this until they reach the point of diminishing returns with much of the reserves, they already have a serious problem filling 13XX billets and from what I can see it is just going to get worse. No amount of DCO's, who are a drop in the bucket when it comes to the big picture, is going to fix that and a few other big problems the Navy Reserve is facing. But hey, on the active side VFA doesn't have a retention problem either so...we got that going for us?

bluemarlin04

All the DCOs motivated to go downrange will get there and realize just how shitty it is working in a useless billet for 9 months to a year.

When you got active duty LCDRs getting out of the Navy and refusing to do the last ten years because they dont want to deal with that the navy loses.

D

All the DCOs motivated to go downrange will get there and realize just how shitty it is working in a useless billet for 9 months to a year.

I found this and other details out during my application process. It was a bit astonishing how far apart the Navy Reserve, at least the RL officer designators I came to learn about, could get from the regular Navy. Certainly not what I expected.

I mentioned earlier that the interesting thing in my community, at least, is that there's CONUS ADSW for EDOs to do what EDOs are supposed to do at various NAVSEA sites. But if you want to MOB OCONUS, apparently you get to watch roads get built in Afghanistan. On one hand, you get to do a deployment and cut your teeth in a rough place abroad. On the other hand, you can be nowhere of interest and doing the worst work of your life/career while in your 30s or 40s.

You and Flash certainly have a wealth of Navy experience and advice, and I thank you both for sharing it. Regardless, I'm motivated to go downrange, but becoming eligible is still 3-4 years away, unfortunately. Very long qualification program.

Kandahar is better than Norfolk Nawfuck.

FTFY

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
...there's CONUS ADSW for EDOs to do what EDOs are supposed to do at various NAVSEA sites.
EDO is one of the few RL communities that do actual "stuff." Their SURGMAIN units are well integrated with the active component and do actual real work. There are EDO's also in the SPAWAR Reserve Program (SRP) which, for the most part, is well integrated with the active component and does actual real work.

bryanteagle6

Just think... 3 years from now it will be something else!

Id like to sign up for ODS this summer instead of waiting for FY20. Nearly every quota for DCOIC is filled anyway. Is that possible?

devilbones

Arashikage トーマス・嵐影

Id like to sign up for ODS this summer instead of waiting for FY20. Nearly every quota for DCOIC is filled anyway. Is that possible?
If you look in CANTRAC there might be a POC for the school. You could always ask. It might be doubtful because your DCOIC is paid out of your AT funds.

D

EDO is one of the few RL communities that do actual "stuff." Their SURGMAIN units are well integrated with the active component and do actual real work. There are EDO's also in the SPAWAR Reserve Program (SRP) which, for the most part, is well integrated with the active component and does actual real work.

SURGEMAIN is incredible, no doubt about it. Probably the best place to be in the Navy Reserve as an officer with its repertoire of billets to support the active component. But if you're looking to MOB OCONUS, it's largely "useless" billets that the other communities appear to also be subjected to, so it's polar opposites. Regardless, it's the place to be.

I'd be curious how EDOs in SURGEMAIN units stack up with various MOSs/AFSCs in the Army and Air Reserve and National Guard in terms of doing actual work. I don't know too much about those services' Reserve and Guard, relatively speaking.

I checked CANTRAC and there's lots of spots open for the SEP DCOIC class.

bryanteagle6

Lots = 15
Apr, may, and july all have negative seats.

And if there was a board in jan for supply or something, those will go fast!

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Lots = 15
Apr, may, and july all have negative seats.

And if there was a board in jan for supply or something, those will go fast!
Nobody likes attending DCOIC during the Fall/Winter because it gets cold. I did and lost 15 lbs and I was already within standards.