• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

No BDCP until FY2013

Lucy

Was informed today that after July's selects are factored in, that the BDCP program will no longer be taking applications until FY2013. Quotas have gone from 300 down to 100 and the spots for FY2011 and FY 2012 are full.

Not surprising considering the number and quality of applicants that are applying and the economic status. OR said it was direct from recruiting command.

I will be applying for DA if I was a non-select from July's boards, with an available date of Dec. 2011.

Best of Luck to anyone else out there in for July and to those who had planned on trying for BDCP.

flyboy

Information Warfare Ensign
I just recently got my FS letter for BDCP and my OR told me that they were considering pulling some of the prorec BDCP applicants from previous boards because of this issue. They decided not to pull the people who already got selected, but I guess stop the selections for awhile. They must be getting short on slots....or they have so many people applying for DA OCS that they don't need to have people getting paid to finish school. What a shame....BDCP is the best kept secret in the military.

WEGL12

VT-28
Wow, I guess I am really lucky to get pro-rec in the June boards. However, I fall in the FY2013 so it may not have affected me. I wonder if this will have any effect on people waiting for final selects. Hopefully, they won’t pull pro-recs from people like flyboy mentioned. BDCP is really a great program but I can understand why they would cut back on the quota. Lucy is this just affecting SNA BDCP or BDCP as a whole?

Lucy

From what I was told, all BDCP is out until FY2013. So while you were able to get in for FY2013, they don't plan on accepting applications for others in FY2013 until after the graduates of FY2011 are finished, aka July 2011, since FY 2012 starts in Oct. And then it will only be a few slots.

WEGL12

VT-28
From what I was told, all BDCP is out until FY2013. So while you were able to get in for FY2013, they don't plan on accepting applications for others in FY2013 until after the graduates of FY2011 are finished, aka July 2011, since FY 2012 starts in Oct. And then it will only be a few slots.

Well one positive thing is the quota can change at any time so no one really knows. But this is pretty bad news for everyone getting ready to apply. Like I said, I am lucky I got selected when I did and I hoping I get my final select soon. Good luck in the July boards Lucy!

Immy

Wow. That sucks.

Can someone fill me in on how fiscal years work in the Navy? Is this FY2011 right now or is it still FY2010?

Thanks

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Government fiscal years start in October and go to Sept. (Obviously). Right now it is FY 2010 but in OCT'10 it will be FY2011 with brand new budgets. It gets more squirrely than that, but that's the basic idea.

TheBirdy

pilot
I'm sending in my package in for the September boards (SNA BDCP), does this mean that applicants for the September boards will not have BDCP available to them? My recruiter did not tell me anything about BDCP availability. Also, can anyone shed some light on what this means for me since I'm applying for BDCP?

UF_ME

Well this sucks...not gonna make the September boards and was shooting for the October boards I guess now I will just have to wait until I'm 12 months from graduation. Thank for the info and congrats to all of those who got on the gravy train before it pull out of the Defense Budget station.

Logtwo

I was planning on getting my stuff in for the December boards. I graduate May 2012; which means I essentially cannot apply for BDCP? And if I can't apply for BDCP I must wait until 12 months to graduation to apply, correct?

Sheesh. May as well get PRK done and apply for SNA then.

WEGL12

VT-28
For BDCP I am not sure if the FY is the year you go to OCS or the year you are selected. I believe my recruited mentioned it is the year you go to OCS. But I could be wrong. I talked to my recruiter today and he mentioned that BDCP was cutting back for a while. However, he said the quotas will be reviewed at the beginning of the FY. So perhaps the quotas will change in a few months.

Immy- Are you still a member of NROTC? I know this is another program going through major cutbacks (college program scholarships).

Lucy

I had planned on a resubmit for September, if needed, and was informed today that BDCP was no longer an option. I am not sure if this has made it out to everyone or not, but my OR said if was direct from recruiting command, and I have yet to have him be wrong in his information, and always found out within 24-48 hours if he hadn't had that question before. As I said, it is based on the quota for each FY going from 300 to 100 participants and that FY11 and FY12 are already full. Others who have recieved BDCP in the last couple months have also said thier OR's had warned them their BDCP might be revoked, it wasn't, but they were informed they were lucky because the program was closing.

So no, if you did not recieve BDCP from the July boards, then BDCP will not be an option. No new people will be getting paid until FY2013 starts in Oct of 2012.

This of course is all based on current situations, i.e. the projected funds for FY 2011. However, FY 2012 budgets don't come out until next summer so that would be the soonest any of this is likely to change, and by then anyone graduating in the 2011-2012 grad year will be under the minimum requirents.

Sorry guys, it sucks. Looks like DA only for awhile...

Logtwo- Yes, DA applications are for 12 months. However, I think it is swear in at 12 months is the soonest. So you could apply sooner, but I am not sure on this.

Lucy

P.S. For anyone who was in for July, there were 13 spots for all desginator BDCP packets. I do not know how many people applied.

WEGL12

VT-28
Others who have recieved BDCP in the last couple months have also said thier OR's had warned them their BDCP might be revoked, it wasn't, but they were informed they were lucky because the program was closing.

Lucy- I am confused with this statement. Are you saying your recruiter believes they are going to pull people’s pro-recs? Or the ones waiting for final selects are not effected by this? All my recruiter said was the program is not accepting new applications for a while. I asked if it is possible I don't get a final select and he said no. Basically I was told once the Navy gives out pro-recs they very rarely revoke them. I don't know if this is what you meant or not.

Lucy

I was referring to flyboys post above. I thought it was on the other forum so I didn't mean to quote the same thread, but yes that seems to be what he said. Said pro-recs won't be pulled so that is good, although if it was an option at any stage suggests this cut is substantial.
I am sorry, the lucky was referring to people getting BDCP before it went away.

Lucy