• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NJP TO OFFICER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
he was on watch, one of his U/I were having a sea sickness, so he deviated from his watch to go get him a bottle of water from the ship store and got caught by his senior chief.
Something tells me that there’s more to the story. What did the CO say? What was the UCMJ offense at mast? You may not realize this, but taking someone to mast is a huge administrative burden and time suck for your command’s leadership, so it’s not something that they’re going to do in a frivolous manner. We’re you at the mast? How do you really know what happened?

Frenchiee

Something tells me that there’s more to the story. What did the CO say? What was the UCMJ offense at mast? You may not realize this, but taking someone to mast is a huge administrative burden and time suck for your command’s leadership, so it’s not something that they’re going to do in a frivolous manner. We’re you at the mast? How do you really know what happened?
he got charged with article 92. by the way, I was his U/I.

exNavyOffRec

I have seen worse happen with no NJP (with decent COC) so I am also wondering what the rest of the story is, I get what he was trying to do, maybe he could have thought of other options.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Brett didnt say that though. He was referring to ever being recommended because of a prior NJP and outside of the three year wait.
He didn't say that, either. He said that he would have a hard time recommending someone for an officer program with an NJP on their record. Seeing as he's a served CO, I took this to mean pragmatically he didn't encounter a sailor who met the threshold to overcome that blemish in lieu of the competition.

Furthermore, consider that a CO tour is 3-ish years, so anyone Brett personally took to NJP would be ineligible by instruction for the duration of his tour.

You might think it's unfair someone wasn't given a second chance, but that second chance sailor would take the spot of someone who is a top performer and never went to NJP. This discussion seems to be stuck in some kind of alternate world where the amount of top performers with clean records don't far exceed the Navy's quota for enlisted officer accessions, and the Navy has to choose between stellar performers who broke the law or sub par sailors who follow rules.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I have seen worse happen with no NJP (with decent COC) so I am also wondering what the rest of the story is, I get what he was trying to do, maybe he could have thought of other options.
My favorite waste of a nuclear incident report (because there is nothing of value to learn from it other than humor, especially when it uses formal terms to dance around human bodily functions):

SRO is on mid-watch in port. Gets a stomach ache and has to poop. Calls up for a relief, doesn't relay how bad it is so the below decks watch finishes his round before waking up a watch relief.

EDPO (chief) comes back for his 0300 tour and sees the SRO is in pain. Waits a couple minutes; SRO is so bad he can't stand watch anymore. Says 'I have your panel' and sends the SRO to the head. On the way out of the engine room he encounters the relieving SRO who reported the incident.

The C/As sounded like the SRO wasn't even taken to mast.

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
Wait. A off-going watchstander in obvious gastric distress was reported by an oncoming watchstander? Was he supposed to shit his pants? Were you at GQ? Was that chief unqualified to monitor that panel?

That’s some next-level buddy fuckery.

exNavyOffRec

Wait. A off-going watchstander in obvious gastric distress was reported by an oncoming watchstander? Was he supposed to shit his pants? Were you at GQ? Was that chief unqualified to monitor that panel?

Because Rickover. :rolleyes:

I would venture to say that the EDPO was not an ET or EM qualified SRO and therefore not qualified to monitor the panel.

There were several times where not just me but other senior watchstanders had to step in for a watchstander for one reason or another, and no one had any issue with it, what I could not do is step in for the SRO, but I could step in for the watch officer.

It is still kind of a dick move.

Frenchiee

I learned that many people from the ENG department dislike this guy. not because he's a dick or anything, just because he voice out his opinion whenever some fuckery happen to other sailors that seem unfair.

exNavyOffRec

I learned that many people from the ENG department dislike this guy. not because he's a dick or anything, just because he voice out his opinion whenever some fuckery happen to other sailors that seem unfair.

There is "what seems unfair" and "what is unfair", if he was voicing his opinion on "what seems unfair" than I could see this person pissing others off, that would piss me off, I don't need someone complaining about "what seems unfair" when we need to get work done, as an example it may seem unfair that people have to work late to get work done but that is part of life.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Because Rickover. :rolleyes:
Eh, I think it's more a case of when the CO loses common sense. There isn't any trigger by instruction that would have made the CO tell the 4-star about this, and I have to think that this has happened in the history of the nuclear navy way more than the one incident report I (and plenty of nukes fishing for entertaining incident reports) could find on the issue.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
he was on watch, one of his U/I were having a sea sickness, so he deviated from his watch to go get him a bottle of water from the ship store and got caught by his senior chief.

Unfortunately, it was dumb of him to leave watch to get the U/I water. You’re useless on watch as a U/I and won’t be missed getting water for yourself. If they were too debilitated, a trip to medical was warranted. Without any other information this reads like he was trying to curry favor with the U/I to get laid.

Right or wrong, sounds like another example of someone running afoul of the chiefs mess on the boat by disagreeing with them publicly and members of the mess taking an opportunity to teach them a lesson.

Status
Not open for further replies.