• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NJP TO OFFICER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frenchiee

one of my friend went to mast a few months ago. however, on the same month he submitted his officer package. he has been panicking ever since that day. so I was wondering, does his NJP incident will stopped him from getting selected? if yes, will he be able to get a waiver for it? do any of you guys know anyone who went through process after a minor incident and still got picked up?

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
From what I can recall when I was enlisted applying for an officer program (circa 2000-2001), an NJP made one ineligible for an officer program for two years. That was 20 years ago though so I might be misremembering it.

exNavyOffRec

one of my friend went to mast a few months ago. however, on the same month he submitted his officer package. he has been panicking ever since that day. so I was wondering, does his NJP incident will stopped him from getting selected? if yes, will he be able to get a waiver for it? do any of you guys know anyone who went through process after a minor incident and still got picked up?
Your "friend" is no longer eligible for a commission for 3 years per 1420.1b and given that he went to NJP it should negatively affect his eval.

I had fellow CPO I served with get selected for LDO, 3 months before his commissioning date he made a bad decision and went to NJP, he was only given a small fine but his commissioning went away.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Don't you still need a COs endorsement these days? Seems, NJP policy or not, the CO would be likely not give a positive endorsement. Yeah, its a real problem.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Don't you still need a COs endorsement these days? Seems, NJP policy or not, the CO would be likely not give a positive endorsement. Yeah, its a real problem.
Presumably, the package submission preceded the NJP.

To the OP, as others have said, NJP makes you ineligible for three years, but depending on the circumstances of the NJP, I, as a CO, would have a very hard time recommending anyone with an NJP in their record for any officer program. Enlisted accessions are a complete luxury from Big Navy's perspective, so we're generally in a position to expect perfection from E to O applicants.

Sorry, dude, but that's just the way it is.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor

To the OP, as others have said, NJP makes you ineligible for three years, but depending on the circumstances of the NJP, I, as a CO, would have a very hard time recommending anyone with an NJP in their record for any officer program. Enlisted accessions are a complete luxury from Big Navy's perspective, so we're generally in a position to expect perfection from E to O applicants.

Wow.

SELRES_AMDO

Really? No second chances? No fixing yourself and doing better like the Navy leadership always claims is how it works? Just one mistake when you're young and dumb and you're chance at commissioning should be pulled for the rest of your life?

Last edited:

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
"Enlisted accessions are a complete luxury from Big Navy's perspective, so we're generally in a position to expect perfection from E to O applicants."
I'm grateful that my CO and the other officers didn't think that way when they wrote my rec for the PLC-Air commissioning program. I didn't have an NJP but I did have three alcohol related incidents while I was enlisted, one of which should have been an NJP.

S/F

Last edited:

nodropinufaka

I will just say what everyone is thinking- You are the problem when the enlisted and junior officers complain about Toxic leadership.

You want to go tell my friend who took a bullet in the face in Afghanistan when he was 19 and then had to go through major surgeries to repair his shattered skull and jaw that when he re-enlisted and returned to Afghanistan for another combat deployment that his chances at ever being an officer should never happen because he got a NJP for drinking as a 19 year old? (After he was shot btw).

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Typical reaction to shoot the messenger here. It's important to be honest with the OP, and I can see that some of you forgot to read the part where I said "depending on the circumstances of the NJP."

However any given CO might feel, the board is going to see it, and they're not likely to give that individual a pass.

If anyone here has first hand knowledge of someone who was selected for STA-21 with an NJP on their record, I'm all ears, but I'm doubtful that happens much, if ever.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I, as a CO, would have a very hard time recommending anyone with an NJP in their record for any officer program.
To be fair, he didn't absolutely rule it out. You can imagine any analysis would include the actual offense, age of the candidate when the offense took place, time since, and relevant exceptional performance proving the offence was an anomaly. In any case, as someone who has gone on the record here many times supporting, applauding priors seeking commissions, I can see where @Brett327 is coming from.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Really? No second chances? No fixing yourself and doing better like the Navy leadership always claims is how it works? Just one mistake when you're young and dumb and you're chance at commissioning should be pulled for the rest of your life?
No, just 3 years.

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot

I don't particularly have a dog in this race — and have no context for the actual infraction — but I think there's a "time and a place" context that probably matters here. It's okay to get drunk, but maybe not to have alcohol on your breath during your job interview. I imagine Big Navy isn't looking for candidates to fix themselves and do better in the middle of their commissioning process.

exNavyOffRec

Typical reaction to shoot the messenger here. It's important to be honest with the OP, and I can see that some of you forgot to read the part where I said "depending on the circumstances of the NJP."

However any given CO might feel, the board is going to see it, and they're not likely to give that individual a pass.

If anyone here has first hand knowledge of someone who was selected for STA-21 with an NJP on their record, I'm all ears, but I'm doubtful that happens much, if ever.
I have known a couple officers who had NJP as enlisted it is rare for sure, the ones who said what happened all had similar stories, it was early in their career and it was something minor, minor to the point of knowing others that did something similar and just received counseling chit.

The one guy I did an application on who is now a Supply officer had an NJP in his first 6 months in the USN, served 4, went reserves, finished his last 2 years of college, then picked up for OCS.

I served with a SWO-N and when he was enlisted he was caught walking back on to base smelling of alcohol and was underage, NJP, finished NNPS, NPTU, fleet for a few years then STA-21. I said he was missing a star on his Good Conduct Ribbon, then he told me the story.

I think it is more common to find a LDO/CWO that early on had an NJP.

Then of course you have those that get caught doing something most go to NJP for that don't because the CO likes them, like the LDO ensign I know who was busted for DUI and never went to NJP, or the CO's cook who missed ships movement and never went to NJP.

Status
Not open for further replies.