• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New wings approved for AMDO/Aviation LDO/CWOs

Lawman

None
We have become the enemy.

And by that I mean the USAF where every swinging dick has a pin.

You wanna know how many Airborne cooks we have in the Army?

And it's all overkill IMHO. No different then when the wearing of berets in the army for everyone started. Cheapened the effect for the few that were already authorized. Somebitch, "supply wings" I hope you jest. :sleep_125

As the Army guy in the room I figure this needs to be said so people dont get the wrong idea. Nobody wants to wear that god damn wool sock on their head. It takes two hands to put it on right. It looses its shape over time and instantly in a heavy rain. Its a friggen black wool ski cap if your in the sun in 50 degree or warmer weather. Even the guys wearing colors other than black will tell you they could really give a damn. You've got jump wings and shoulder tabs that will tell people if you some swinging dick snake eating ranger (or pretending to be). You dont need a hat to broadcast it from 100 meters.

Now Stetsons for Cav, well that just because its cool and it pisses everybody else off.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
Can't say I really understand why this is getting folks so worked up. In the non-line communities, these insignia give the opportunity to provide at least a little bit of help in distinguishing their BTDT from the BNDN (Been Nowhere Done Nothing). Sitting on boards for suppo's pursuing their "air wings" or whatever they called them (a collateral duty on my boat tour) left me thinking that their bar was a little low, but it is their insignia, their rules, so if it works for them who am I to bitch? If nothing else, it shows they got off their ass and went to sea and that is worth at least something to me.

Also, I have never seen anybody, officer or enlisted, treat these non-line warfare devices as the equivalent of wings/swo pins/tridents/dolphins so I don't understand why this would cause anybody to be afraid that it would dilute their own accomplishments.

MAKE VAPES

Uncle Pettibone
pilot
Carrier Aviators should get a hook through their wings on their 50th trap or so... means RAG complete and some fleet traps under their belt too...
While were handing out new fangled crap-ola...

navyao

You missed the point... those JO's that he is referencing are prior mechs etc who have done their time on night check, etc. Lots of them made E-6/7/8 before becoming commissioned. They aren't wrench turners anymore; they are leaders. Heart and soul doesn't mean they are the muscle.

No sir I don't believe I missed his point. I fully realize and even mention that I am fully aware that the LDO's and CWO's were former enlisted who made the rank of E-6/7/8 prior to them receiving their commissions. However, in calling them the "heart & soul" of a command or the maintenance community is in my opinion inaccurate. With all do respect I believe that you may be missing my point.

I've been a part of three commands during my time in the Navy. In each command the jr. and senior enlisted personnel have been called the "heart & soul" or "backbone" of those commands, (use whichever coin phrase you prefer). In each of those commands I had very little contact with my Gunner or Division Officer. The majority of my immediate leadership was from my workcenter supervisor or the maintenance Chief's. In the squadrons I had more contact with my Gunner and yes he was a leader and of course he was a 'Mustang.' However, to say that one person is the "backbone" of the commands maintenance program is unfair in my opinion.

The "heart & soul" of Aircraft Maintenance is the enlisted troops, the E-2 through E-8's in your command. Look around that hanger next time you walk through, what do you see? We can discuss the levels of leadership until we're blue in the face. I'm aware of squadron's who's leadership was poor from the top down. Fortunately I never experienced that. I worked for some of the greatest people the Navy has ever had. Fighter pilots who to this day I tell my friends about because they didn't treat me like a high school kid. JO's and LCDR's who would not shy away from having a beer with us in the parking lot. That's leadership. You treat your troops good, show them they're needed and I'll bend over backwards for you. I won't and the guys in my shop won't bitch and moan when we HAVE to have everything flying off the boat tomorrow. That's heart & soul.

snizo

Supply Officer
Surprise - officers in other communities earn pins because they accomplish things, too. URL isn't the only place where differentiating between experienced and inexperienced officers matters.

Who cares what other people wear on their uniform, anyway?

MasterBates

Snizo, having been on boats and in commands where Supply Guys got their "SWOply" pin or "Naval Flight Supply Officer" wings, they work required to get them is FAR below what Aviators, NFOs and Aircrew had to go thru to get theirs.

What I saw FryGuys (my name for the Food-Os) do to get "Wings" made me want to puke.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
if the hookers get a special set of wings, I want some wings with props on them.

or better yet, piles of per diem stacked up behind them.

snizo

Supply Officer
Snizo, having been on boats and in commands where Supply Guys got their "SWOply" pin or "Naval Flight Supply Officer" wings, they work required to get them is FAR below what Aviators, NFOs and Aircrew had to go thru to get theirs.

How would you know what they did to get theirs? Have you done it?

I'm not saying they are equally difficult - I'm sure there's an argument that getting the SWO pins is more/less challenging than getting wings. They're different pins with different meaning and different requirements - just like submarine nuke v submarine supply v submarine medical, etc.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No, the point was why do Supply Guys need their own pins, anyway? It's certainly possible for a Chop to earn "real" SWO pins (the DisbO on my FFG did it, and quicker than some of the Line officers) and Dolphins. It's just more work.

lmnop

No, the point was why do Supply Guys need their own pins, anyway? It's certainly possible for a Chop to earn "real" SWO pins (the DisbO on my FFG did it, and quicker than some of the Line officers) and Dolphins. It's just more work.

While I have no doubt that this happened, having seen it myself on other ships, it ain't legal anymore. The SWO instruction is very specific about what designators are eligible, and Supply isn't one of them. It may still happen, but as of ~7 years ago the instruction was clarified to crack down on non-eligibles being awarded a SWO pin by benevolent COs.

snizo

Supply Officer
Supply types can't earn regular dolphins, either. Nuke school is required for the 1120's.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
While I have no doubt that this happened, having seen it myself on other ships, it ain't legal anymore. The SWO instruction is very specific about what designators are eligible, and Supply isn't one of them. It may still happen, but as of ~7 years ago the instruction was clarified to crack down on non-eligibles being awarded a SWO pin by benevolent COs.

For real? That's fairly 'tarded. Sounds like a problem in search of a solution to me. Since part (a BIG part) of getting your SWO pin is qualifying as OOD U/W, and no captain who wants to stay in command is going to give somebody an OOD letter if he's not comfy with his skills.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
For real? That's fairly 'tarded. Sounds like a problem in search of a solution to me. Since part (a BIG part) of getting your SWO pin is qualifying as OOD U/W, and no captain who wants to stay in command is going to give somebody an OOD letter if he's not comfy with his skills.
Some O-4+ instructor types who were around before that policy went down told me that it was the logic of "well, we (meaning SWOs) can't just go to flight school on our shore duty and get wings," or something to that effect.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
Just waiting for these!
4226_AE.jpg
Oh wait, I already have those with 2 chevrons. :D