• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New Vision Requirements

redmidgrl

livin' the dream
Contributor
I did Vision Therapy at the Visual and Conceptual Development Center in Washington, DC. My left eye was 20/40, it is now 20/20. It worked for me...

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Navy hooks you up with glasses while in the training command. They'll pay for your contacts after you wing. Before then, you can wear contacts, but have to pay for them (this came directly from my roommate here this week and has been confirmed on AW before).

I just wear my ugly-ass, clear-lensed, Navy-issue, gold-rimmed aviators when I fly. (enough hyphenations?)

Minor thread jack, since I can't get contacts on the Navy's dime until after wings, where is a good place to get contacts cheap? I've been wearing them since I was 11 years old and I've never even driven while wearing glasses, so I have no desire to wear glasses 24/7 until I get my wings.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Minor thread jack, since I can't get contacts on the Navy's dime until after wings, where is a good place to get contacts cheap? I've been wearing them since I was 11 years old and I've never even driven while wearing glasses, so I have no desire to wear glasses 24/7 until I get my wings.

While your Opthalmology department cannot issue you contacts, they should be able to write you a script for contacts. I filled mine using 1-800-Contacts.

-ea6bflyr ;)

lax311

I currently have about 20/30 vision and don't wear glasses or contacts. I am interested in applying for an rotc scholarship. The requirements say vision must be correctable to 20/20. Does this mean I can get contacts before my physical and be ok? Or should i wait until after and see what the doc says?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I currently have about 20/30 vision and don't wear glasses or contacts. I am interested in applying for an rotc scholarship. The requirements say vision must be correctable to 20/20. Does this mean I can get contacts before my physical and be ok? Or should i wait until after and see what the doc says?

Yes and No. There is no requirement to wear contacts or glasses, but your eyes must be correctable to 20/20 for the DODMERB physical.

-ea6bflyr ;)

revan1013

Death by Snoo Snoo
pilot
I'm a bit confused. Is 20/70 still the cutoff for uncorrected vision for pilots? And are waivers being given for being slightly over?

Quick threadjack kinda... Is it possible to get contracted SNA before having PRK or is it that if your vision is past 20/70 you MUST (no waiver) get the surgery for selection first?

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
I'm a bit confused. Is 20/70 still the cutoff for uncorrected vision for pilots? And are waivers being given for being slightly over?

Quick threadjack kinda... Is it possible to get contracted SNA before having PRK or is it that if your vision is past 20/70 you MUST (no waiver) get the surgery for selection first?

I was under the impression that vision must be 20/40 correctable for pilots. Where did you get 20/70 from?

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Have to get the surgery and go thru the post op and check within standards before you can apply for SNA.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

The standard is less than 20/40 correctable to 20/20 plus some other restrictions. The DIOPTER limit is what tripped me up even though I was 20/40.

NOMI Physical Exams and Standards
:
1.6 STUDENT NAVAL AVIATOR APPLICANT (SNA) STANDARDS

All applicants for pilot training must meet Class I standards except as follows:

Visual Acuity, Distant and Near: Uncorrected visual acuity must not be less than 20/40 each eye, correctable to 20/20 each eye using a Goodlite eye chart. Vision testing procedures shall comply with those outlined on the Aerospace Reference and Waiver Guide Physical Exams section.

Refractive Limits: If uncorrected distant visual acuity is less than 20/20 either eye, a manifest refraction must be recorded for the correction required to attain 20/20. If the candidate’s distant visual acuity is 20/20, a manifest refraction is not required. Total myopia may not be greater
than -1.50 diopters in any meridian, total hyperopia no greater than +3.00 diopters in any meridian, or astigmatism no greater than -1.00 diopters. The astigmatic correction shall be reported in minus cylinder format.

Cycloplegic Refraction: This is required for all candidates to determine the degree of spherical ametropia. The refraction should be performed to maximum plus correction to obtain best visual acuity. Due to the effect of lens aberrations with pupil dilation, visual acuity or astigmatic correction, which might disqualify the candidate, should be disregarded if the candidate meets the standards for visual acuity and astigmatism with manifest refraction. A cycloplegic refraction should be performed at least 30 minutes after instillation of 2gtts (5 minutes apart) 1% cyclopentolate.

Slit Lamp Examination: Required, and must demonstrate no pathology.

Dilated Fundus Examination: Required, and must demonstrate no pathology.

-ea6bflyr ;)

_Kvn_

The standard is less than 20/40 correctable to 20/20 plus some other restrictions. The DIOPTER limit is what tripped me up even though I was 20/40.

NOMI Physical Exams and Standards
:

-ea6bflyr ;)

This may be a dumb question but just to clarify a little bit; when it says total myopia may not be greater than -1.50 diopters in any meridian, does that mean it cannot be a more negative number? I have a perscription with -3.00 sphere (near sighted) and I was wondering if that would be disqualifying for a waiver.