• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New Vision Requirements

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
No biggie.....but I would be interested to hear where your XO got the idea that it was because the NFO pool "got drained this year"

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
You guys understand that there's a difference between corrective lens waivers and contact lens waivers, right? The contact lens waivers are what went away (last I heard here). But that doesn't preclude you from being 20/40 and getting a corrective lens waiver, which has been around for a long time, as FLTPAY said.

EDIT: Whoops, didn't see there was a second page, but my point is still valid.

SQUIDutah

pilot
I have the contact waiver. I am SNA accepted, pre-API, and this waiver came in last March. You must have had 6 month contact check prior to waiver approval. You also are ordered to fly with a spare set of glasses.

Sly1978

Living the Dream
pilot
I'm not trying to add to the bad gouge on this sight, but from what I saw going through the program if you want to be a pilot, get that SNA slot before you get into the pipeline. I knew a few guys who were "NPQ'd" from SNA for various reasons but managed to appeal succesfully. However, at least when I was going through, if you comissioned with an SNFO card the odds of crossing over were slim-to-none. The obvious exception being the guy who ranked first in his API class, but even then only if they didn't need any waivers. It seemed like waivers were readily available for pilots already in the pipeline, but not so much for the other guys. Moral of the story: if you are offered a pilot slot take it and let NAMI take care of itself.

By the way, as an interesting footnote, my eyes change about every year so that about every other year I get a "corrective lenses required when flying" chit. Then it goes away the next year. I've never worn glasses when flying (except my Maui Jim's) but I did wear BCGs at OCS for a couple of weeks. I've never figured out why it works that way.

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
On top of that, there remains a risk that I might fail Anthros once I get down to Pensacola (I'm 5'2", which is a height not likely to pass).

Advice? Should I get the surgery and risk failing Anthros, or should I say hello to the back-seat? Thanks in advance!

~Red

i was told that by an NROTC Commander, who also is a marine aviator, that MIDN can get measured any time, even in your freshman year- so if you worry about you height and failing for SNA, and if you think you might be borderline, you can ask your commander to schedule you for a measurement.

btw, it's not hard to measure yourself or have someone help to find out if you are approximately ok- you only need to take 3 measurements, sitting height, thumbtip reach and buttock knee length. the way these 3 are measured (including some easy approximate ways to do it) are found in here: https://www.cnet.navy.mil/nascweb/anthro_/files/Measurement%20Manual%20draft.pdf

your measurements only have to be within +/- 3mm according to that document.

for females, the basic requirement is that sitting height be more than 33.5in, your thumbtip reach be more than 29.5in, and your buttock knee length be more than 22in. (oh, and you have to be taller than 58" when standing, but since you are 5'1", you are already gtg on that)

gl!

staff03

So just curious, say you pass your flight phys with 20/40 uncorrected. What do they give you to correct to 20/20 when you are flying- glasses or corrective lenses?

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
So just curious, say you pass your flight phys with 20/40 uncorrected. What do they give you to correct to 20/20 when you are flying- glasses or corrective lenses?

Um, so do you prefer chick peas or garbanzo beans?

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
oops, i meant contact lenses

Navy hooks you up with glasses while in the training command. They'll pay for your contacts after you wing. Before then, you can wear contacts, but have to pay for them (this came directly from my roommate here this week and has been confirmed on AW before).

I just wear my ugly-ass, clear-lensed, Navy-issue, gold-rimmed aviators when I fly. (enough hyphenations?)

govols1

Are there waivers for color vision? I'm not color blind, I have noticed that i can confuse some shades of green for blue :watching2

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Are there waivers for color vision? I'm not color blind, I have noticed that i can confuse some shades of green for blue :watching2

Nope. Color vision problems (as in failing both the ishihara plates and the FALANT test) is CD (considered disqualifying) for ANY job that involves you flying (even flying intel billets).

The ONLY waivers possible are for WINGED aviators whose color vision has degraded (and that's just on paper. Never seen/heard it done). Absolutely none for applicants. Even guys who have passed the color vision test, and failed it a different time have been NPQed for being "inconsistent". Don't think this is an avenue at ALL.

TTUalumn07

I'm sure many of you have heard of eye exercises, but has anyone actually consistently done them and had positve results?

I have been trying them out b/c my vision is a mere 20/25, and I would rather increase my vision naturally.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I'm sure many of you have heard of eye exercises, but has anyone actually consistently done them and had positve results?

I have been trying them out b/c my vision is a mere 20/25, and I would rather increase my vision naturally.

Been there, done that. All evidence is anecdotal at best. It can help you relax your eyes if you strain them a lot staring at a computer all day or all year or something, but it never really made a DRAMATIC increase in my vision. Helped a bit though. My advice, take the supplements, do the exercises. If it works, then you got your money's worth, and if not, then you wasted a couple bucks. But DON'T waste money on a 200 dollar eye exercise scam kit. All that stuff is available free on the web.

I think A4s claims it helped him get to 20/20 back when that was required. Maybe he'll chime in.