• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New Vision Requirements

redmidgrl

livin' the dream
Contributor
So after meeting with my XO about service selection, I have learned that the Navy has changed its vision requirements again. He told me that there was a policy (that only lasted ~6 months) where pilots either needed PRK-corrected vision to 20/20 or 20/40 or better uncorrected. Now, after draining the NFO community which was 250 bodies short this season, the Navy has decided on 20/20 either uncorrected or corrected with PRK.

Upon hearing this new information, I have to decide if I want my eye cut (just my left eye, which is 20/30), so that I still have a shot at pilot. On top of that, there remains a risk that I might fail Anthros once I get down to Pensacola (I'm 5'2", which is a height not likely to pass).

Advice? Should I get the surgery and risk failing Anthros, or should I say hello to the back-seat? Thanks in advance!

~Red

blur

A-pool
Hmm...I'm interested in this new vision requirement...20/20 uncorrected...that's rough. Last time I had a vision exam I met that, but not so sure anymore. Anyone else hear about this?

In regards to your situation, is there anyway you can get a complete anthro measurement now? 5'2'' is pretty short. I know it doesn't count until nami, but might be good to know now. To me, getting cut to fix 20/30 seems like overkill.

robav8r

None
Contributor
On top of that, there remains a risk that I might fail Anthros once I get down to Pensacola (I'm 5'2", which is a height not likely to pass).

Anthro data is not hard to get and should be provided if you ask for it. At least wait and get your Anthro measurements to see if your qual'd before making your decision.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
Not doubting RMG's gouge on the new requirements, but has anyone else heard about this new change?

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Anthro data is not hard to get and should be provided if you ask for it. At least wait and get your Anthro measurements to see if your qual'd before making your decision.

I agree. Might as well check that before taking the risks of surgery.

That being said.... Do you have a link and/or reference that supports this new policy? Can any flight surgeon or BUMED type confirm this?

While I believe that your XO told you these things, vision requirements are probably the largest single source of bad gouge here on AW (followed closely by what it takes to get jets).

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
yeah, that could have a big impact on some of us who have already selected....I'd like to see confirmation

CPENgunner

^^^^No kidding, does anyone have any documentation of this. I've searched NAMI and BUMED websites and all PDF files on those website and have turned up nothing to confirm or deny this "new" vision requirement.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
So after meeting with my XO about service selection, I have learned that the Navy has changed its vision requirements again. He told me that there was a policy (that only lasted ~6 months) where pilots either needed PRK-corrected vision to 20/20 or 20/40 or better uncorrected.

~Red
The 20/40 thing has been in effect since about January 2001....that is about 6 years....I got screwed when it was 20/30 and I started in Pcola (July 2000)....I got PRK and am now flying the T-45...Ponying up on the whole 20/20 uncorrected thing, its probably bad gouge....NAMI would have the correct info

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
The 20/40 thing has been in effect since about January 2001....that is about 6 years....I got screwed when it was 20/30 and I started in Pcola (July 2000)....I got PRK and am now flying the T-45...Ponying up on the whole 20/20 uncorrected thing, its probably bad gouge....NAMI would have the correct info

yep, I was just going to add that. If you heard that this has only been around for 6 months, thats way off....I had my first physical almost 2 yrs ago and was told that (in spite of reading 20/25 in one eye) I was qualified SNA and SNFO with corrective lenses. Also, this should be on the NOMI website (which still lists 20/40 uncorrected as the req) and I think I would have heard about it since I service selected just over a month ago.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
So after meeting with my XO about service selection, I have learned that the Navy has changed its vision requirements again. He told me that there was a policy (that only lasted ~6 months) where pilots either needed PRK-corrected vision to 20/20 or 20/40 or better uncorrected. Now, after draining the NFO community which was 250 bodies short this season, the Navy has decided on 20/20 either uncorrected or corrected with PRK.

Upon hearing this new information, I have to decide if I want my eye cut (just my left eye, which is 20/30), so that I still have a shot at pilot. On top of that, there remains a risk that I might fail Anthros once I get down to Pensacola (I'm 5'2", which is a height not likely to pass).

Advice? Should I get the surgery and risk failing Anthros, or should I say hello to the back-seat? Thanks in advance!

~Red

Also, I know a girl who was your height who is in Primary right now....its all about sitting height. To top it off, I believe she was NPQ'ed once and then qualified with no problems a few months later (and then again at check in to API)

jwebster412

I spoke face to face with the CO of my NRD (who happens to be a pilot) and he said that the waiver is definitely available and that you can designate SNA with a waiver to train with corrective lenses, provided you have at least six months history wearing lenses. He said that, upon successful completion of flight school, you can get bumped to the top of the list to get PRK. There is a slim possibility that he is wrong, but it seems unlikely. He even recommended that I try to redesignate from SNFO to SNA, given my ASTB scores. Take this for what its worth. Those NAMI guys will take phone calls. At the very least, they will call you back, as I have personally discovered.

I think the reason for this change is the fact that PRK is so reliable and readily available. It seems to me that it would be a huge waste to dq so many really good applicants on the basis of poor vision when PRK has such a good track record.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I spoke face to face with the CO of my NRD (who happens to be a pilot) and he said that the waiver is definitely available and that you can designate SNA with a waiver to train with corrective lenses, provided you have at least six months history wearing lenses. He said that, upon successful completion of flight school, you can get bumped to the top of the list to get PRK. There is a slim possibility that he is wrong, but it seems unlikely. He even recommended that I try to redesignate from SNFO to SNA, given my ASTB scores. Take this for what its worth. Those NAMI guys will take phone calls. At the very least, they will call you back, as I have personally discovered.

I think the reason for this change is the fact that PRK is so reliable and readily available. It seems to me that it would be a huge waste to dq so many really good applicants on the basis of poor vision when PRK has such a good track record.

hmmm...maybe I should start wearing a contact :)