• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New Vision Requirements

UMichfly

pilot
None
No no no for the love of God no! Do NOT make the mistake of relying on that contact lens waiver to get a slot as an SNA. Unless something has changed in the last few months, that waiver is only for designated (read winged) aviators. I got caught when it changed over to only being designated aviators and got a shiny new NAMI whammy to go with my commission. If I were you, I would get confirmation from NAMI and be prepared to get PRK to even qualify for SNA.

I spoke face to face with the CO of my NRD (who happens to be a pilot) and he said that the waiver is definitely available and that you can designate SNA with a waiver to train with corrective lenses, provided you have at least six months history wearing lenses. He said that, upon successful completion of flight school, you can get bumped to the top of the list to get PRK. There is a slim possibility that he is wrong, but it seems unlikely. He even recommended that I try to redesignate from SNFO to SNA, given my ASTB scores. Take this for what its worth. Those NAMI guys will take phone calls. At the very least, they will call you back, as I have personally discovered.

I think the reason for this change is the fact that PRK is so reliable and readily available. It seems to me that it would be a huge waste to dq so many really good applicants on the basis of poor vision when PRK has such a good track record.

jwebster412

No no no for the love of God no! Do NOT make the mistake of relying on that contact lens waiver to get a slot as an SNA. Unless something has changed in the last few months, that waiver is only for designated (read winged) aviators. I got caught when it changed over to only being designated aviators and got a shiny new NAMI whammy to go with my commission. If I were you, I would get confirmation from NAMI and be prepared to get PRK to even qualify for SNA.

I am only repeating what my CO said. I am a BDCP SNFO designate and he said with confidence that I should pursue the waiver thing if I wanted to try for SNA. I am not trying right now, so I havent found out directly from NAMI. Just repeating what the Captain said in June. Also, at one point, I actually read the waiver info on the NAMI site.

UMichfly

pilot
None
I am only repeating what my CO said. I am a BDCP SNFO designate and he said with confidence that I should pursue the waiver thing if I wanted to try for SNA. I am not trying right now, so I havent found out directly from NAMI. Just repeating what the Captain said. Also, at one point, I actually read the waiver info on the NAMI site.

Double check with NAMI by all means (via the proper channels of course;)). That's the responsible thing to do. All I'm telling you is that that waiver is/was only for designated aviators as recently as two months ago. If you are going to try to get in on a waiver, I recommend you double check no later than 6 months prior to your commissioning physical if you intend to go for SNA to verify that the waiver is and will continue to be applicable to you. If you get past that point, you're too late to get PRK and you run the risk of getting disqualified and having no chance for a backup plan (unless you get lucky like I did and get stashed FOREVER and have time to get PRK then...but that's a rare condition from what I've heard).

jwebster412

If I decide to try and make the switch, I will def check. My problem is that I am not allowed to get PRK until after my commissioning. If I could get it on my own, I would, but they dont want me screwing around with it right now, which sucks for me. As often as they change things, I wouldnt be surprised if in a few months, it was all completely different. Like I said before, why dq so many good applicants based on visual acuity if PRK is so trustworthy? Seems like a waste to me.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
My problem is that I am not allowed to get PRK until after my commissioning. If I could get it on my own, I would, but they dont want me screwing around with it right now, which sucks for me. A

What commissioning source are you coming from?

llnick2001

it’s just malfeasance for malfeasance’s sake
pilot
Stuff like this, the right answer is almost always to go ask a flight doc (maybe 2 if you don't like the first answer you get). I wouldn't worry about what non medical types say. Our info tends to be outdated or sometimes just plain wrong.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
And this is getting a little beyond the scope of the original discussion. The question that needs to be answered is whether or not the basic requirements to be physically qualified for SNA have changed wrt eyesight. If my understanding is correct, reading 20/30 or 20/40 on your physical does not require a "waiver" (ie another piece of paper to be approved). On mine, the flight doc just wrote "Qualified SNA, Qualified SNFO, Must wear corrective lenses" in the notes section and furthermore, when I asked him a question related to the contact lens waiver thing, he said "When we qualify an applicant for SNA or SNFO, it is not platform specific".....so as of even a few months ago, NAMI was still approving 20/25 (or as bad as 20/40 uncorrected) w/o waivers, again if my understanding is correct. I'm almost positive that I would have heard something by now if things had changed, as they had me go 10 hours out of my way last time around to just get a second set of signatures for my anthro sheet (they changed anthro sheet forms a few months back)

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
well, being that I'm commissioning on friday, and in doing so have gone through NAMI mid-June this year, I can tell you this is bad gouge. I tested 20/40 in my left eye and had the flight doc shake my hand and tell me I made it through the most nerve-wracking part of getting a pilot slot...as he handed me my chit that PQ-ed me for pilot. I have heard absolutely nothing from NAMI since then, so if it had changed, I would have known (and been pissed). Check it out. I sincerely doubt it's true.

redmidgrl

livin' the dream
Contributor
The gouge I am getting about the vision standards is mixed. The NAMI website still has the 20/40 or better uncorrected policy on its PDF files. My advisor is getting back to me about the most recent policy, but as usual these policies are shaped to help fill the needs of the Navy...

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
The gouge I am getting about the vision standards is mixed. The NAMI website still has the 20/40 or better uncorrected policy on its PDF files.

For your future reference, the NAMI website is not gouge, it is official policy. It may just be out of date or incorrect. Everything else you hear or read, unless coming from a NAMI/BUMED/FS type is gouge.

nugget81

pilot
well, being that I'm commissioning on friday, and in doing so have gone through NAMI mid-June this year..... I have heard absolutely nothing from NAMI since then....

Don't let the timing fool you. NAMI can and will get you when it is most inconvenient. When I was in OCS earlier this year, we had a guy in my class get a call from NAMI saying that he was NPQ because of some chest x-ray issue. That was the day before graduation/commissioning. He managed to get all the garbage sorted out that morning (and he missed our parade), but he was still able to commission with us in the chapel afterwards. Moral of the story....NAMI is disorganized and inconsistent, and they always have bad timing.:icon_rage

redmidgrl

livin' the dream
Contributor
For your future reference, the NAMI website is not gouge, it is official policy.

I know, that's why I referred back to NAMI as my source.

My advisor got back to me about the 20/40 thing. Apparently he got it confused with the now defunct 20/400 waiver. The 20/40 policy is still in place. My apologies for creating an uproar of uncertainty.

Now all I have to go back to worrying about are my Anthros...:confused:

~Red

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I know, that's why I referred back to NAMI as my source.

My advisor got back to me about the 20/40 thing. Apparently he got it confused with the now defunct 20/400 waiver. The 20/40 policy is still in place. My apologies for creating an uproar of uncertainty.

Now all I have to go back to worrying about are my Anthros...:confused:

~Red

haha...I think you owe us all a round

I'll collect when I see you in A-pool :)