• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New GPA requirements

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
I just thought I would resurrect this thread....for the 2.5 GPA haters. :)

I had a 2.52 and just got picked up for SNA and SNFO today. I had a good ASTB but for all you guys out there that are lacking in an area (GPA specifically)...keep working hard because fortunately you're trying to get into a service that does look at the whole person.

Keep tracking and don't give up.

It's not hating on guys with low GPA. What RotorHead says is absolutely correct. If you cant hack 2.5+, especially in Lib Arts or some other non-engineering field, how the hell are you going to handle Naval Aviation and flight school? I smoked undergrad liberal arts, and worked harder in the first 6 months of flight school than I did in 4 years of college. Think about it. If your grades suck, the Navy is just doing you a favor. Granted that some smart people fail out of flight school for their skills...but if you can't hack putting in work to pass undergrad....you won't be successful in the big dog world.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
It's not hating on guys with low GPA. What RotorHead says is absolutely correct. If you cant hack 2.5+, especially in Lib Arts or some other non-engineering field, how the hell are you going to handle Naval Aviation and flight school? I smoked undergrad liberal arts, and worked harder in the first 6 months of flight school than I did in 4 years of college. Think about it. If your grades suck, the Navy is just doing you a favor. Granted that some smart people fail out of flight school for their skills...but if you can't hack putting in work to pass undergrad....you won't be successful in the big dog world.

I'll buy that. Now if you're just "C'ing" your way through college to get the check in the box then yeah I agree...it's not putting in effort and I'm a firm believer of GIGO (Garbage In Garbage Out).

While everyone is different, I can only use myself as an example. There are guys out there who may read this and are not doing well...and think they have no shot. Now for me...it took 3 years of 3.5 GPA's and finishing my undergrad with a 4.0 semester while working 2 jobs (at the same time mind you) and an internship to reach my lofty 2.5. I paid for a terrible first 2 years. Took a year and a half off to gut check myself and decide if being a Naval Aviator was what I really wanted..or did I just want to sit around and talk about it instead of make it happen.

It just isn't about school either...the name of the game (which I found out as I matured and got older) is time management. Can you go to school full time and keep up with other obligations as well? I believe having a good work ethic and being able to juggle all the obligations in your life and still operate at a high level is what will ultimately be someone's success or downfall in life ...be it "the big dog world" or flight school.

The whole point of my post is that so many people are focused on the GPA as a number..instead of what the whole point of going to college and doing well signifies.

You'll also find quite a few folks on this website who "overachieved" in flight school that did not perform so well in their undergraduate degrees for whatever reasons. I'm willing to bet they didn't slack their way in life and obviously had it in them to put the work in and the aptitude to soak up what was taught and apply it in the cockpit.

Think about it. If your grades suck, the Navy is just doing you a favor.

As far as this goes...come on now. You have wings but certainly you are not that naive. YGBSM, the Navy doesn't owe me, you, or anybody any favors. You get selected on merit. If anything...it would be doing themselves a favor by not selecting someone with bad grades. The point is, if you didn't sack up when it came to grades, you better have made up for it and shined in other areas or you aren't getting selected anyway. How you do in flight school? Now after that...it's all up to you.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
I'll buy that. Now if you're just "C'ing" your way through college to get the check in the box then yeah I agree...it's not putting in effort and I'm a firm believer of GIGO (Garbage In Garbage Out).

While everyone is different, I can only use myself as an example. There are guys out there who may read this and are not doing well...and think they have no shot. Now for me...it took 3 years of 3.5 GPA's and finishing my undergrad with a 4.0 semester while working 2 jobs (at the same time mind you) and an internship to reach my lofty 2.5. I paid for a terrible first 2 years. Took a year and a half off to gut check myself and decide if being a Naval Aviator was what I really wanted..or did I just want to sit around and talk about it instead of make it happen.

It just isn't about school either...the name of the game (which I found out as I matured and got older) is time management. Can you go to school full time and keep up with other obligations as well? I believe having a good work ethic and being able to juggle all the obligations in your life and still operate at a high level is what will ultimately be someone's success or downfall in life ...be it "the big dog world" or flight school.

The whole point of my post is that so many people are focused on the GPA as a number..instead of what the whole point of going to college and doing well signifies.

You'll also find quite a few folks on this website who "overachieved" in flight school that did not perform so well in their undergraduate degrees for whatever reasons. I'm willing to bet they didn't slack their way in life and obviously had it in them to put the work in and the aptitude to soak up what was taught and apply it in the cockpit.

Ok, so you admit to 2 crappy years in college before figuring the system out....congratulations. You say it took you that long to learn time management...whose fault is that?

I'm not bagging on you specifically, but flight school is ALL about time management. The materials aren't especially hard, but there is a lot of it, and you need to absorb it quickly. So don't complain about the Navy looking at GPAs as just a number. In a matter of speaking, a GPA is the Navy's way of measuring time management skills...which are necessary for any path in the service.

My point is dont complain about any branch of the military using your GPA to judge you. It's your fault it sucked, not theirs. When anyone applies there has to be a portion of your application that quantifies you....GPA is that number.

Regardless, congratulations for making it in the door. I'm not trying to slam your stats from the past, I'm just trying to put it in perspective......ready to start downloading the API Pubs:D;)

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Ok, so you admit to 2 crappy years in college before figuring the system out....congratulations. You say it took you that long to learn time management...whose fault is that?

I'm not bagging on you specifically, but flight school is ALL about time management. The materials aren't especially hard, but there is a lot of it, and you need to absorb it quickly. So don't complain about the Navy looking at GPAs as just a number. In a matter of speaking, a GPA is the Navy's way of measuring time management skills...which are necessary for any path in the service.

My point is dont complain about any branch of the military using your GPA to judge you. It's your fault it sucked, not theirs. When anyone applies there has to be a portion of your application that quantifies you....GPA is that number. I know they hold value in being a predictor , so I shouldn't say GPA and test scores mean nothing, but it's not gonna get you through flight school or any civilian career, you still have to perform.

Regardless, congratulations for making it in the door. I'm not trying to slam your stats from the past, I'm just trying to put it in perspective......ready to start downloading the API Pubs:D;)

I think we're both arguing the same thing..and I'm agreeing with you. But the point you are making about GPA's is like saying I'm going to do better in flight school just because I got 8/9/8 on my ASTB (Which I did). Another "stat" the Navy holds dear.

I'm sure if I walk into primary and say "Sir, I smoked the ASTB and it's a STRONG predictor of performance in flight school." He's going to say, congradufuckinlations, you're a tool get out of my sight.

After getting picked up for the program...those numbers are just that, they mean nothing (so does the GPA). I guess the GPA and test scores are predictors, so I shouldn't say they mean "nothing", but whether it be flight school or a career as a civilian, you still have to perform.

Bster

None
Limit the School as Well

OK .... so what is passing? If we have an accredited institution (let's say the Naval Academy) graduate you with a degree in Mech E and you have a 2.0 (no failures and all C's). By all definition you have a basic understanding of that subject and have met a rigorous hurdle to get that degree. But we say that's not good enough for us. If that's the case then why graduate that person? I think the person is either qualified or not by the degree deferred on to him/her from their school. If a USNA 2.0 Mech E can not hack the program then we have a bigger problem with USNA not preparing students and we should scrutinize the source as well. I have no problem putting the spot light on a school and saying for us to accept your graduates they must have a 3.5 for the data shows your students suck. Just my two cents ....

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Let's be real here---all GPA's are not created equal. A 3.0 from UPenn's Wharton School of Business and a 3.0 from Bob's College of Knowledge don't even compare.

My GPA 'sucked'. I started off life as a Mechanical Engineer at a very good school. I thought it would be a lot of lab work, lots of design, etc. Turns out it was a ton of high level calculus, which was not my bag. My grades sucked. I finished up my 3rd semester with a 1.8. Switched over to business management and managed to pull the GPA up to 2.8.

Just make sure you smoke everything else. I beat the absolute balls off the ASTB and I'm sitting in A-pool right now, dumb and happy.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
OK .... so what is passing? If we have an accredited institution (let's say the Naval Academy) graduate you with a degree in Mech E and you have a 2.0 (no failures and all C's). By all definition you have a basic understanding of that subject and have met a rigorous hurdle to get that degree. But we say that's not good enough for us. If that's the case then why graduate that person? I think the person is either qualified or not by the degree deferred on to him/her from their school. If a USNA 2.0 Mech E can not hack the program then we have a bigger problem with USNA not preparing students and we should scrutinize the source as well. I have no problem putting the spot light on a school and saying for us to accept your graduates they must have a 3.5 for the data shows your students suck. Just my two cents ....

The institutions reputation is taken into account. As to your example, a 2.0 in ME from USNA is not a good example. A 2.0 from the USNA is acceptable because the Navy knows the program at the Academy. That Mid not only had the ME program to deal with, but a lot of other distractions, to put it mildly. It wasn't like some guy at a civ institution that was getting college paid for, came home and played Call of Duty for 7 hours and then went out to drink and earned a 2.0 gpa. Even beyond all this, what is really at play here is supply and demand for OCS slots. Lots of guys want what the Navy offers, so the Navy can ratchet up the cost, in the form of competitive requirements. Read up on your econ.

leonisevil

I'm in the process of applying for NAVY OCS, and looking into the supply side too. I agree with C420Sailor, GPA's are not created equal. I graduated with a 2.78 from the University of Florida, with a business degree. UF notorious for being a tough school, and having worked 2 full-time jobs and providing for a family while going to UF, well I think I have a case when talking to a recruiter.

I briefly spoke with a navy officer recruiter on the phone and explained to him that I have a 2.78 from UF and he seemed not at all concerned about that. The only thing is I have to get my citizenship done (which I am doing now) before I can apply. The recruiter told "just get the citizenship done and reach out to me and you should be in good shape."

I'm hoping to go into the Supply community or Pilot. Any comments or suggestions other than acing the ASTB?

Thanks

blarged

ready
I graduated with a 2.78 from the University of Florida, with a business degree. UF notorious for being a tough school, and having worked 2 full-time jobs and providing for a family while going to UF, well I think I have a case when talking to a recruiter.

It sounds like you have an OR that is willing to work with you. I'm not sure why you are justifying your GPA to us when you are already squared away with a game plan.

But if you really feel the need to justify your GPA, you will be given the opportunity to write about it in your motivational statement.

If you really worked 80 hours a week, had a family, and went to school full-time ... that would probably be something the Navy would like to hear about.

leonisevil

It sounds like you have an OR that is willing to work with you. I'm not sure why you are justifying your GPA to us when you are already squared away with a game plan.

But if you really feel the need to justify your GPA, you will be given the opportunity to write about it in your motivational statement.

If you really worked 80 hours a week, had a family, and went to school full-time ... that would probably be something the Navy would like to hear about.

I'm sorry if I came off a bit snobby, not my intention! My primary choice would be to try for navy fighter pilot training after OCS. again for most this is a long shot but I still have 2 or 3 other choices that I would be perfectly happy with. My question is do any of you know what the hearing requirements are for this? My vision, height/weight etc is all perfect just my hearing is not. I'm not deaf by any means.

Acart

Hey all I have not read all this thread so I am sorry if this has been asked before. I am currently a senior in College, I recently figured out what i wish/should have figured out a long time ago. I want to join the Navy and I want to do aviation( have since I was 10 and gave up because no one told me I could still do aviation with worst than 20/40 vision) I have taken the ASTB once, and am planning to study my ass off and take it again to try to improve my score. I am getting a BS in Business Admin. I will have a 3.3-3.4 accumulative GPA( depending on how many A's I get this last term) I have been active in a number of clubs and things during college, maintain pretty good work out schedule, have never done any drugs or anything of that nature. Do I have a chance at getting selected to be an NFO? I keep hearing mixed things about how my GPA would be too low, and other things like that. I am not one to give up!!

You could also be a pilot if you can afford to get eye surgery on your own dime. Your options are open. Doesn't mean you'll be selected for either, just know you have options.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
I can't believe some of the things that have been said in this thread. It is truly shocking.

We have this online community dedicated to excellence in Naval Aviation, a trade that defines the very essence of hard work and dedication, and yet we are entertaining gripes about the initial requirements for selection to the training command. ea6bflyer is being very polite here ... but obviously the message wasn't clear enough.

So here goes: if you can't hack around 2.5-3.0 GPA while balancing a list of extra curricular activities and side jobs, the military, let alone Naval Aviation, is not for you. [There are some that will get selected with lower GPAs, but I'm willing to bet (having known quite a few of them throughout the training pipeline and in the fleet) they struggled in training and some struggled in the fleet as well.] This is a VERY academic community that demands more than just your best effort.

WOW! I graduated with a 2.54 from a state school in political science, granted, that was 10+ years ago and I doubt it would fly these days but... i've so far led a very successful career as a carrier pilot.

I'll be in the corner looking for my big girl panties.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
WOW! I graduated with a 2.54 from a state school in political science, granted, that was 10+ years ago and I doubt it would fly these days but... i've so far led a very successful career as a carrier pilot.

I'll be in the corner looking for my big girl panties.

I shaded you with a 2.5. Like a no shitter 2.49 that I had to argue a grade change from a B to an A. 2.5 is the min