• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New GPA requirements

mic

I just learned recently that they have up'd the GPA minimum requirements from 2.0 to 2.5. Can anyone shed any light on this matter.

ASHWND

(BDCP) Supply Corps OC
What exactly are you talking about? BDCP? OCS? NROTC? Academy?

2.5 is really low, and 2.0 is EXTREMELY freakin low...

mic

OCS, just seeing if the minimum requirements have been moved up from a 2.0 to a 2.5, from my understanding they have, well at least pilot slots.

navy09

None
Not an OCS expert, but if you're in the 2.0-2.5 range I think you'd have a hell of a time getting picked up anyway.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Mic,
What's your major? Why does it matter? If you are a technical major, then a 2.0-2.5 might fly, but if you are a non-tech major, then 2.0-2.5 means you were partying too hard to learn anything and you'll have problems even talking to an Officer recruiter.

-ea6bflyr ;)

mic

its just a question out of curiosity, its not for me I will have a 2.9 at the end of this semester. I was just curious if they did raise the minimum requirements from a 2.0 to a 2.5. I know they raised it for pilots but did they do it for nfo, swo, amdo, intel, etc etc.

Lobster

Will they even hire you at Mickey D's with a 2.5?:confused:

I thought they didn't look at anything below a 2.7??

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Well I haven't gotten picked up yet. But it's doable..there are a few guys on here who are flying pointy nosed jets who had sub 2.5.

I'm 2.52..but I never really had anything more. I went from 1.8 to 2.52, so that means I have 6 semesters in a row of above 3.0 and finished with a 4.0...so it could be looked at differently than someone who just C'd their way through school, or regressed to a 2.5.

To make my 2.52 look a little easier on the eye, I made sure I had 2 jobs and an intership to go along with my schooling, plus a crap ton of extra curriculars and LORs.

AND TO THE OP: If you have a low GPA , you better get a lot of extra curriculars and smoke the ASTB to have a shot. The OR's will blow you off with a low GPA..so you need a redic ASTB to have a shot at being competitive.

Mine was 8/9/8 57 , if I had 6's or something like that, with my GPA, I wouldn't even feel like I have a chance. After I took the test, I asked my OR to be honest with me and she said that had I not scored like I did, my chances looked bleak..because of the GPA.

navy09

None
Got it. I guess they have to take it case by case (major, jobs, LORs, etc). I just find it very very hard to believe that one test, which isn't all that hard, can make up for years of sucking.

I'm not calling you out, I haven't walked in your shoes...I'm speaking in general.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Got it. I guess they have to take it case by case (major, jobs, LORs, etc). I just find it very very hard to believe that one test, which isn't all that hard, can make up for years of sucking.

I'm not calling you out, I haven't walked in your shoes...I'm speaking in general.

I think it's all important. Even more so for OCS applicants because a lot of people "off the street" are fighting for a limited amount of slots..when you are NROTC (which I was at one time) you know if you finish, you're getting commissioned, you may not get what you want..but you're getting commissioned.

The ASTB as explained to me...think of it this way: You have so many people from varying degrees, varying schools, varying life circumstances..

How else can you compare candidate A and candidate B on a level playing field? The ASTB makes sense. There are no favorites and there are no advantages/disadvantages with a standardized test. For OCS, when you walk in off the street, one of the first things they make you do is take the ASTB..if you don't do well..you get the 'Well I gotta meeting to go to, but what's your number? I'll call you sometime this week to come in and talk."...except they don't call back

I agree as well that the test isn't the most difficult, but obviously it's difficult enough that the average scores are in the 4/5 range. People post on here because they got great scores, but you dont see the hundreds (thousands maybe?) of people that walk into a recruiter station and take the test who got way below what you see here. A larg(er) percentage of people that come on here regularly do get accepted, these are also usually the one's that have great packages. (No, penis jokes) :)

I will caveat this whole thing by saying...the whole package is important, if you are lacking in one area...really beef up your package in others. Going back to the penis thing....just work out a bunch and buy a big truck. ;)