• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New GPA requirements

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
It seemed to me that getting SNA out of BDCP was significantly more competitive than it was for those of us who got it out of NROTC. Hearing about applicants with >3.5 GPA, tech major, 7/7/7+ ASTB and still having trouble being selected?....no thanks! So maybe it all evens out in the end :)

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
You're doing BDCP. Try waking up 3-5 times a week at around 5 am then go through a full day of classes. Then toss in some random volunteer events and the work associated with your billet. I'm always half-asleep and have a hard time paying attention or sometimes I just skip classes. On top of that, I have a part-time job because the monthly stipend is not nearly enough. It sucks.

It eventually takes a toll on your grades, mainly because of the issue of a lack of sleep and the fact that I find myself napping to get some rest rather than using that time to study. We've had people at our unit disenroll and have their GPA's climb because of all the free time that became available.

However, there are the academic studs who still rock out 3.8 and above GPA's and are able to accomplish the aforementioned. Props to them.

I've been doing all of that (including the waking up early) almost every semester of my college career, and I work two part-time jobs, and tutor - meaning I don't get back 'home' each night until well after 6-7 a lot of the time, and then I usually go workout.

College is 90% time management, 10% genuine effort.

Most undergraduate GPA/undergraduate education has nothing to do with how intelligent you are, all it shows is that you can put up with the bullshit and stress for 4 years and still manage your time well.

Grad school on the other hand...

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Most undergraduate GPA/undergraduate education has nothing to do with how intelligent you are, all it shows is that you can put up with the bullshit and stress for 4 years and still manage your time well.

Sounds a lot like Flight School. :D

-ea6bflyr ;)

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
It is 2.5..I submitted with a 2.39 (back in April) on my way up to my current GPA and it was kicked back because of GPA.

They might have kicked it back because the board, like myself, knows that OU prematurely paid off the BCS people and bought their way into number 2. Just a thought.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
They might have kicked it back because the board, like myself, knows that OU prematurely paid off the Bedlam people. Just a thought.

Sad to say, for this upcoming board in January..the thought has SERIOUSLY crossed my mind that what if a UT grad looks at my kit..and he non-selects me because of that ;)

Nobody is going to question their motives and it's not like I would know who looked at my kit and why it was not selected....hmmmm innnnnteresting.

KCOTT

remember to pillage before you burn
pilot
I've been doing all of that (including the waking up early) almost every semester of my college career, and I work two part-time jobs, and tutor - meaning I don't get back 'home' each night until well after 6-7 a lot of the time, and then I usually go workout.

I guess you are just the model student, aren't you?

exo

If it's 90% time management and 10% genuine effort, then I would suggest taking a more difficult major or you're just cheating yourself.

Ditto on your undergrad having nothing to do with how intelligent you are.

exo

Yea, actually, I'm graduating with a 3.8 in network engineering and human-computer interaction with a specialization in cognitive science.

So basically you wire the PS3 controller to the main CPU and design the buttons and controller to fit nice in your hand and work smoothly? :icon_smil

RotorHead04

Patch Mafia
pilot
I can't believe some of the things that have been said in this thread. It is truly shocking.

We have this online community dedicated to excellence in Naval Aviation, a trade that defines the very essence of hard work and dedication, and yet we are entertaining gripes about the initial requirements for selection to the training command. ea6bflyer is being very polite here ... but obviously the message wasn't clear enough.

So here goes: if you can't hack around 2.5-3.0 GPA while balancing a list of extra curricular activities and side jobs, the military, let alone Naval Aviation, is not for you. [There are some that will get selected with lower GPAs, but I'm willing to bet (having known quite a few of them throughout the training pipeline and in the fleet) they struggled in training and some struggled in the fleet as well.] This is a VERY academic community that demands more than just your best effort. Now, more than ever, there is a consistent demand for aviators to be capable operators of technology that are tactically superior in a number of warfare areas -- not to mention the fact that they are still responsible for balancing many ground responsibilites not related to flying. If you tell me that late nights of studying and ROTC commitments are keeping people from satisfactory grades, then my response is this: the selection process is working.

No matter what your commissioning source, each program is designed to weed out the the non-hackers. And it isn't the last filter, either. You can get all the way to the fleet as a winged aviator and still be deemed unfit to be a Naval Aviator and continue in said role. (Believe it ... there are some that play the flight school game just fine, but never quite make the transition from flying an aircraft to employing a war machine on an actual mission.)

I'm sure there are some reading this that will be offended and take it personally ... but you shouldn't. These are simple facts. And those that will weather all the tests this community has to offer and come out on top will endure far more scathing criticisms on a regular basis.

So, as my favorite RAG instructor once said, "Put your f**king big girl panties on ... the hard stuff is still ahead of you!"

BackOrdered

Contributor
Not everybody has their tuition paid. Some people are "college program."

I would do BDCP in a heartbeat over ROTC. Four years is a long time to endure BS, and I would gladly trade that for 12 weeks, and get paid decent money while attending.

Yeah, but you get your **** rocked at Newport after graduation to make up for your four years of not putting up with the lighter ROTC BS.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
I just thought I would resurrect this thread....for the 2.5 GPA haters. :)

I had a 2.52 and just got picked up for SNA and SNFO today. I had a good ASTB but for all you guys out there that are lacking in an area (GPA specifically)...keep working hard because fortunately you're trying to get into a service that does look at the whole person.

Keep tracking and don't give up.