• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New GPA requirements

Really I thought if I got the surgery outside the Navy it would disqualify me......

Nope, most definately not. I had prk in 2007 while I was still in college for the sole purpose of making myself eligible for the military. I'm in primary now. PM me if you want all the gorey (sp?) details. You could search for it too. There is plenty of info on this site as well as baseops regarding prk (Baseops is mostly airforce but the regs are ALMOST identical).

I had a 2.49 on my transcript and the Navy refused to even process my application until I recalculated it with the 3 classes I took one summer at community college: 2.51. By the skin of my teeth...

focusedftw

Is AMDO GPA requirements more relaxed vs. pilot requirements??? I would assume so, but just curious if it varies by program. Someone get back to me please.

Acart

It would not let me PM you CRJockey, so I guess I have to just post. Anyone else please add your input too!!!

I would love any insight you have into getting PRK to become eligible for the Navy. I figure that even though PRK is sorta pricy( for a poor college kid like myself) what is a few thousand dollars to have a shot at doing something I have wanted to do sense I was about 10. I should be getting some graduation monies anyways here in a month or too anyways. I don't know what kind of information you have, so I guess the thing I am most curious about is how do you go about it all? I am graduating in May, going to take the ASTB again after I graduate, then I am moving back to my parents to await entering the Navy( they say it may not be till Jul '11 till I go to OCS). Also how do I make sure I get the correct surgery, do i just tell the doctor " I am going into the Navy, hoping to get selected to fly, and would like to get PRK"?

Thank you very much,

*DISCLAIMER* I am not a doc and have not read the regs in quite some time. Do you own research into the regs to see exactly what they are.

Acart, things may be a little different now but my surgeon was a Navy flight doc in the reserves and even he was unfamiliar with the regs. So no, you probably cannot just tell them what you are doing and expect them to do the right stuff. You need to do your own research and be able to explain to the doc what specific surgery you need. You also need to be prepared to tell him what he needs to be looking for in the pre and post-op exams to ensure your eligibility. For example, there are limits to the amount of correction you need and if you exceed those limits before surgery then you are not eligible for the waiver and it would be a waste of time/money.

It has been several years since I got into the regs so I am sure they have changed, but for me they were roughly:

-No more than +/- 8.00 diopters of refractive error in any meridian before surgery. What this means is that you must take your correction for your near-sightedness and ADD it with any correction for astigmatism. This number is really quite generous as you have to have really terrible eyes and/or a lot of astigmatism to exceed it. I could not read the big E on the chart before surgery and mine was only -5.50 in each eye.

-You must wait at least 6 months after the surgery before you can take a physical. Therefore you will not be able to apply for OCS until this point.

-You must be at least 1 year post-op before you can start flight training (this is not an issue because it takes much longer than 6 months after you apply before you actually start training).

-There is a follow up schedule that you must keep so that the flight docs who consider you for the waiver can review you post-op progress. Even this is not a deal breaker though, as long as you get the follow up's done at some point.

-Ensure the doc knows that he will not be the only one to review the surgical records. He needs to be meticulous with the pre and post op notations and exams. This will save you and the flight docs some ass-pain when it comes waiver time.

I know there were some more regs in there that I am missing so use your own research to fill the gaps. Some googling should take care of it, just make sure you are reading the actually Navy regulations and not some anonymous gouge like this.

My surgery cost approx. $4000. It took me several months before I could see perfectly, and even "perfect" wasn't perfect, just stable. I am about 20/40 and need glasses to fly, but from what I understand this is the exception to the rule. Most people get to 20/20 or better.

Hopefully this is a good starting point for you, let me know if you have any more questions.

*Mods, please feel free to move this over to the PRK thread as that is where it probably belongs.

Acart

Thanks for the information! Its a very good starting point, It sounds like I might have to play the waiting game for longer than I would like, but you know what they say " the best things in life are worth waiting for". I am really kicking myself for not finding all this stuff out a year or so ago....oh well though