• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New Car For A New Officer?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I dunno, boys ... when I went to P-Cola (2 1/2 days from the NorthWest while breaking in the engine :D), the BOQ parking lot was filled with Corvettes, Chevelles, Camaro's, 442's, Mustangs of varying muscle-pedigree, and GTO's .... no crippling debt that I was aware of .... this is what I and 3 of my Amigo's showed up with (we did a "package" purchase with a local dealer on graduation):

1969shelbygt500xh9.jpg

I guess in todays Navy, desperate times call for more desperate measures ... yes ??? :)

pennst8

Next guy to ask about thumbdrives gets shot.
Contributor
^Frankly I'm impressed the internal combustion engine had been invented in your day.:D

Its a new Navy... not always for the better either. Not that my car (ford taurus... upgrade planned at O-2) is righteous, but I saw a SNA driving a minivan this morning at Whiting Field.

heynowlookout

pilot
Contributor
I dunno, boys ... when I went to P-Cola (2 1/2 days from the NorthWest while breaking in the engine :D), the BOQ parking lot was filled with Corvettes, Chevelles, Camaro's, 442's, Mustangs of varying muscle-pedigree, and GTO's .... no crippling debt that I was aware of .... this is what I and 3 of my Amigo's showed up with (we did a "package" purchase with a local dealer on graduation):

1969shelbygt500xh9.jpg

I guess in todays Navy, desperate times call for more desperate measures ... yes ??? :)

My dad made a comment to me when he came down a while back about the state of ensign-mobiles. He was surprised at all the students with SUV's and pickups, myself included. I'll be the first to admit my 4runner just isn't as exciting as his '67 Camaro and '69 GTO, but I'll die before I drive a minivan.

cosmania

Gitty Up!
pilot
I tell you, I wish I would've just bought some used beater as an Ensign. I mean, with my looks the car wasn't going to seal the deal anyway. I also would have saved a lot of cash.

Yetti

The Yetti
What if you don't have a car at OCS? How the hell do you get around? Are there people without cars? Lastly, say you're from California and lack a car, how do you get to OCS? Do they fly you out?

RetreadRand said:
I do find the change interesting, but now we all make fun of the ensign studs that show up in a corvette....especially ones that have vanity license plates like "FLYNAVY" (seriously) but sorry if you are out there, dude...just couldn't help myself

Though I would love a new Dodge Charger...

Yeah, me too as long as it was made in 1970 or before. :icon_tong For about the same money one can in fact buy a "real Charger", won't be a hemi but a 383 or 440 will work.
Schnugg, that's a fine looking Bronco, Id give it much consideration if I were the new ensign in question.

MasterBates

At OCS/API I had a borrowed Kia Sportage..

At Primary/Advanced I had a 1968 Mustang with a built 289..

Guess who has it now.. :icon_rage

HueyCobra8151

pilot
What if you don't have a car at OCS? How the hell do you get around? Are there people without cars? Lastly, say you're from California and lack a car, how do you get to OCS? Do they fly you out?

Not sure if you are referring to Marine or Navy OCS.

Marine OCS: Don't worry, most people don't have cars. Take a taxi or the OCS shuttle from the airport and taxi's for your liberty during OCS. Shuttle back to the airport after it's all said and done.

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
Hold out for a new Challenger.

_Dodge%20Challenger%20Concept%201.jpg

Forget that Chrysler POS, here is a real muscle car:
concept_camaro_convertible.jpg

2009 Camaro Convertible, 400 HP 6.0L LS2, 6 speed stick, 21" rims on the front, 22" rims on the back.:D

LS motors love mods. Drop a Magnacharger on that bad boy and get an easy 600 HP.

FastMover

NFO
None
Forget that Chrysler POS, here is a real muscle car:
concept_camaro_convertible.jpg

2009 Camaro Convertible, 400 HP 6.0L LS2, 6 speed stick, 21" rims on the front, 22" rims on the back.:D

LS motors love mods. Drop a Magnacharger on that bad boy and get an easy 600 HP.

I won't argue with that...can't go wrong either way. As a matter of fact I own a couple of 4th gen Z28s. 1998 LS1/auto and a 1995 LT1/6-spd that I use to commute to school. Both are great cars.

I can't wait to see what GMMG is going to do with the 5th gen Camaro. They turned out some monster (streetable) 4th gen cars...

02SS.jpg

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor

Oh my, I would not only give FlyNavy's left nut, but my own also, to have that car. Very Nice.

I chose to use this as my LCDR-mobile. Got it as my promotion gift to myself.
For the unclean, that is a 1955 Dodge Power Wagon. Balanced and 'printed motor, new wiring, new brakes. With 5.83 gears, that little fella was screaming at 50 mph. It went everywhere I pointed it, just not very fast.
molon_labe

Oh my, I would not only give FlyNavy's left nut, but my own also, to have that car. Very Nice.

I chose to use this as my LCDR-mobile. Got it as my promotion gift to myself.
For the unclean, that is a 1955 Dodge Power Wagon. Balanced and 'printed motor, new wiring, new brakes. With 5.83 gears, that little fella was screaming at 50 mph. It went everywhere I pointed it, just not very fast.
molon_labe

5.83 gears? Hole shot was faster than the big bore Marlin on the hood. :icon_mi_1