• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New Car For A New Officer?

bradler

Alright I just want some advice.

I am in the selection process for OCS and I have been contemplating buying a new car, for the purpose of relocating. My rational is this, right now I have a Jeep Wrangler and it can hold all of maybe 3 big bags and if I am going to be relocating around the states for the next few years is it a wise investment to get a bigger SUV? Also a vehicle that is easier to drive around the states. I am currently looking at Toyota Tacoma's, Why? Because I like them and they also have the double cab, which is good for passengers and a truck bed for hauling gear and the power to tow stuff. Any other suggestions on SUV's I will take.

So here is my problem, I am currently working in a position that I could easily afford payments for a new Tacoma (and the reason I want new or late model is because I plan on having it for the next 6-7 years). But what is the pay like for new officers (I have seen the pay grade spreadsheet, I want advice)? Has any dealt with car payments going through OCS? Am I getting over my head with a new car and payments? Do military personnel get a discount on loan rates? Or just flat out am I thinking I will be moving and carrying more stuff then I actually will?

Thanks

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Alright I just want some advice...... Any other suggestions on SUV's I will take. ....
O.K. ... right back at you. :)

escaladefrontzt4.jpg

FLY_USMC

pilot
I would personally wait, Toyota has shiaty financing right now for Tacoma's, I know, I just bought one. Besides, you'll have a nice new car sitting outside all through OCS and TBS, barely getting driven, except for the weekends at TBS, and it's just one more hastle. AT LEAST wait till TBS to do anything. 01 pay is pretty descent, I didn't really have any complaints, 02 is pretty nice as well. FYI, depending on duty station, my take home as an 01 was anywhere from $1100-1550 every 2 weeks, depending on BAH, plus I had a couple loans getting auto-deducted, as well as TSP.

pennst8

Next guy to ask about thumbdrives gets shot.
Contributor
There's previous threads on this (search: "ensignmobile").

If you're smart about your money you can do it... but not having a car payment is pretty awesome too. I went late-model used when I got my car (had to get a new one on short notice) senior year. I'm planning to upgrade when I hit O-2.

Raptor2216

Just about enough to buy something fun and will go up in price. 65 - 68 Mustang Fastback or even a ragtop if one looks hard enough. Piss on new cars, boring and you can't do shit to them.

I don't know about boring but yea, you can't do shit to them. I like like the GPS and heated/cooled seats, SAT radio, performance...oh and decent gas mileage(relatively speaking).

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
The military will move your stuff so don't worry about that. My daily driver for 8 years was a 1975 Corvette convertible.

Save your $$$ and wait to buy a new car. Go on deployment, get mucho tax free $$$ and buy from the Exchange Overseas Buying Program and save even more.

robav8r

None
Contributor
So what happens to that new car payment when you DON'T make it through OCS or flight school??? Lots of stuff can happen (not all of it completely within your control). Keep driving what you have, find out what your future really has in store for you and then buy something. BTW - RR is right on, worst investment you can make is buying new. Just my .02c

phrogpilot73

My recommendation for a new Lt/Ens? www.carmax.com It's worth the drive to get to one. Certified to a pretty high standard, no haggle, and below blue book. There's a reason they're hugely successful.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
RetreadRand said:
BUy a 2 or 3 year old vehicle.
Don't get sucked into the cycle of debt that befalls too many ensigns

This is great advice ... and this is what I did. I bought a 2001 Ext Cab 4x4 Silverado, leather seats, ass warmers (you actually use those in E. WA), canopy, etc etc ... I bought this in late 2004 (last year of college). It will be paid off in about two months (just in time for my son's arrival). It had low mileage, essentially brand new, and who knows how much money I saved ...

Putting a little effort into searching around town (and carmax) can really pay off (literally).

zachary2777

Banned
My recommendation for a new Lt/Ens? www.carmax.com It's worth the drive to get to one. Certified to a pretty high standard, no haggle, and below blue book. There's a reason they're hugely successful.

I looked at carmax and they do have a lot of guarantees for used cars, but their prices seem a little high to me in a lot of cases. When they say they're below bluebook they mean bluebook for a dealer. I ended buying an '04 Acura TSX off a private seller. It's a risk but I paid a LOT less for it. I also got a brand new air conditioner for free (it crapped out right before I was about to buy it... then the guy talked his dealership into fixing it at no cost).

Look at autotrader.com and get a carfax report and inspection on any car you buy from a private person.

Crowbar

None
I am in the selection process for OCS and I have been contemplating buying a new car, for the purpose of relocating. My rational is this, right now I have a Jeep Wrangler and it can hold all of maybe 3 big bags and if I am going to be relocating around the states for the next few years is it a wise investment to get a bigger SUV? Also a vehicle that is easier to drive around the states.

If you think about it, you really won't need that much stuff during OCS. By the time you get done with TBS you may need more room because you've gotten a lot of new uniforms and such, but for the moment a Wrangler is probably big enough to take what you need. I'm sure you've tried this before, but by taking my back seat out and putting it lengthwise (folded) against one of the wheel wells it felt like I was able to squeeze a lot more crap into the back of my Jeep.

As far as driving across the country in a Jeep, I'd agree that ain't the most fun. I had a TJ (soft top, no cruise control) that I drove from North Carolina to San Diego and then back to the deep south. It won't kill you to do it, but I just made a similar drive in a Silverado and it was much easier.

Bottom line, if you can gut it out, wait until you at least get commissioned before jumping into a new car. You'll have a feel for your new financial situation and will have some more time to decide what you want.

bradler

Thanks for all the advice. I had always said I would keep my Wrangler and get another car, but that was before my chances for moving alot. I just assumed I would need a more versatile SUV.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Thanks for all the advice. I had always said I would keep my Wrangler and get another car, but that was before my chances for moving alot. I just assumed I would need a more versatile SUV.

For the short term rent a trailer when you need one.