• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Nevy to Marine

Status
Not open for further replies.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Ever notice that 1/2 the threads start good, then some pre-boot makes a statement, then the slightly-past-boots say that the pre-boot has no basis for saying what he said? Then the pre-boot quotes a book, or some dude he met at an airshow, then everyone says he's full of crap, blase, blase, blase....

If someone says some BS, then just call him on the BS, don't let a formerly decent thread descend into entropy and ad hominem attacks. Everyone knows who on this board has the T-shirt, who wears a 1980s half-shirt, and who has no damn shirt at all. Let it be.

roger65

Morganism
Ok, I am just curious. How does this whole crossover thing work. Is it on selection day, or does it only apply to people in the advanced pipeline? What about for the people that are being told that they will be going Marine helos? How does that work?

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Here is the latest that I've learned.

Jets. This will be the interservice transfer that we've heard so much about. This won't affect guys in advanced. It is supposed to be for guys finishing primary. Basically if you are the number 1 Navy guy for the week with jet grades, then you'll get the only Navy jet slot. For the other Navy guys that have jet grades but aren't the #1 guy, they can go fly helo's or maritime. If you want to be one of the few, the proud, then you can get a Marine jet slot. You would go to K'ville or Meridian for advanced and get winged. After winging you'd go to TBS then the FRS. If TBS interferes with the FRS then you'd go to the FRS then TBS.

Helo bubbas: This would be an exchange tour that you'd choose to do upon winging. My sources say that they need 35 guys. Those 35 are needed for the 05 fiscal year. After a four year tour, you come back to the Navy. No TBS needed as you stay in the Navy.

Before anybody gets bent out of shape about Marine OCS, TBS etc.. Sorry, but get over it. The higher ups are the one making the decisions. We just have to follow them. Dont take your misguided feelings out on the exchange tour or transfer guys. We are all hear to serve and do our duty. I know its hard but why not try trusting those appointed over us to make a good decision.

Vic

Your MOM!
pilot
If I do a tour with the Marines, do I have to get that haircut? What's it called, high-and-stupid?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
From what I've been told by our StuCon officer, they have plenty of people who wish to volunteer for this program.

triplejayz

snake driver
HT-8's CO told us in our AOM brief that they (much higher pay grades) have not decided whether they are going to take newly winged helo pilots or fleet pilots to take care of the 'extra' navy helo pilots. She said that there was about 45-60 too many Navy Helo pilots, but also said that there wasn't a specific number of slots that the Marine Corps needs, just that we need Helo pilots. She did say that they are looking at 30 for this fiscal year as well as 2005. For Helo pilots, she said there was only the option for the 4 year cross contamination tour. This is the info as of 06/25/2004.

EODDave

pilot
Super Moderator
Vic and Dustball,

Please take it to a private message, email or start another thread.

ET-Mike

A-Pool Junkie
So, from what I gather from the post, only the #1 guy in the class with the grades to go jets will be able to go? Is that right, only 1 guy from each class? Is that how it has been for a long time or has the number been brought down?

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I know that this Navy/Marine transition thing won't have any effect on me, but I am curious to know whether anyone on the forum plans on switching. I'm sure it is a tough call for some - I'd have a hard time with it myself. Anyone feel like letting the world know their plans?

EODDave

pilot
Super Moderator
I only know of one guy that wants to transition here in Meridian. However, I'd be willing to bet that a bunch of Navy guys in primary would jump at the chance of getting a jet slot. Even if it does mean becoming a Marine.

ET-Mike

A-Pool Junkie
Yeah, I know this will not affect me being in ROTC, but is that how selection usually goes? Are there usually just one or two who select jets out of the primary?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
As Pat just eluded to, there is no such thing as "how selection usually goes". It's not worth worrying about, there is NOTHING you can do about it but to fly your best. This is coming from someone currently IN Primary.

mat

I am part way through phase 2 at NASK and I'd like to transfer. I won't be taking any perspective USMC jet slots. Besides when I selected there were Marines "working the system" to ensure they did not have jet grades. There was an issue with forcing people into the jet community that did not want to go (Marines). I couldn't understand that, but I've wanted to fly jets from day 1. Anyways, for the Marines who haven't selected there shouldn't be any reason to worry. If they have to transfer USN jet students to fill slots there is still a shortage. Work hard and get over a 50 NSS and you should have no problems. From that perspective this is a good thing for Marines who want to fly jets. As far as earning the right to be called a Marine, I can understand why some would be offended. I'm ready to TBS or even more to prove myself, no worries here. I am sure others in my situation feel the same. Besides would you rather go into combat with someone on your wing (or directing bombs on your FAC tour to someone) who should by flying jets and got into the Marines in a different manner than you or someone who did not make the grades and was forced through the system? Maybe I'm just rationalizing for myself, but that is my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.