• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Nevy to Marine

Status
Not open for further replies.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Somehow this thread got a bit off target. Please feel free to start a "tip of the sword" thread.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
We lost a CH-46 the first night of the war due to spatial disorientation, with all crew and pax KIA. There was another lost in a canal a few weeks later, again with loss of all on board. I knew the HACs on both those aircraft. I believe we had a couple skid mishaps without fatalities since. The other day, the news said a helo was made an emergency landing near Fallujah. I don't know if that was due to enemy action. I do know that of approximately 60 AH and UH Marine helos sent for the "major combat phase" of OIF, 50 sustained damage requiring depot-level repair. So, even if there weren't a lot of casualties, there were a lot of near-misses.

BigWorm

Marine Aviator
pilot
JetJunkie said:
I'll (of all people me...) attempt to get it back on target....

Well, buddy you seem to be the resident expert on the “stress” environments from some of the books you’ve read and speaking with your Navy academy friend. In hopes to further my knowledge about how the process works, I was wondering if you could create a works cited page and use in-text citations. This would make it a little easier for some of us in the pipeline to do some of our own research on what it takes.

I’ve been out of college for a little while, but I think the MLA or APA formats would be appropriate. But this is some outstanding research that you’ve done; I can only hope that you provide us with another two page report.

Pap

Naval Aviator
pilot
Hey JetJunkie, I just saw that you were still in college. Dude, why are you telling anyone (let alone guys who are already commissioned and IN FLIGHT SCHOOL!!) anything about the Military? Knowing someone in the Academy or having a relative (father, brother, whatever) does not mean s***. Stress??? What do you know about stress? Once again, don’t tell me what your friend told you because I don’t care. To put it simply, you don’t rate enough to have an opinion.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
<Grabs popcorn> In this corner we have Pap! The T-45C champion. In the other corner we have Jet Junkie; collegiate know it all. This is going to be a great fight!

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
JetJunkie said:
My only take on "stress" environments is... when I was in ROTC... just being given a uniform to put on and playing dress up once a week without any sort of boot camp... I never truly felt that I had earned the right to wear the uniform. Those who'd been through a bootcamp type environment seemed like they earned or deserved it more than I felt I did by just showing up one day in uniform. That was where i'm coming from. I have friends who graduated from ROTC (including a former roommate) and i'm sure they're awesome officers, that wasn't my point. I just believe that (from my experience) ROTC guys miss that component.

I was wrong for going overboard. But if you really want me to cite references (I assume you were being rheotrical), i'll attempt to do so. Some of what i said though didn't come from any books I read, but from conversations i had with recruiters or others in a position to know (or rate having an opinion), and from ROTC instructors who came from various commissioning sources.

going to a "bootcamp" type environment doesn't make you a better officer than not attending one

you weren't in ROTC long enough to thoroughly enjoy what you have to go through

EODDave

pilot
Super Moderator
Easy guys. JJ responses aren't bad. Some of your just tend to be a little long winded. You've admitted that your not the resident expert so good on you. Go easy on some of your pics though.

jdfairman

PHROGS 4EVER
You sure about the Marine band not going through boot? I could have sworn that they complete recruit training and then are appointed to the rank of Staff Sergeant. Could be wrong here, but go find out. Maybe it will give you fellas something to do besides worry about a decision being made at a paygrade much higher than ours.
OUT.

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot
Message to all:

It has been brought to the moderators attention that this thread is starting to deviate into nothing more than a flame war. Let's go ahead and curtail that before it escalates. This pertains to all involved posters.

Thanks,
that a$$hole moderator.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
"The Presidents Own" doesn't have to, but the Marine Corps band members do. Two totally different outfits. The band that plays for the President is commonly referred to as "The Presidents Own", everything else is the Marine Corps Band.

JetJunk, how long have you been in the Corps again?

KBayDog

Marine Band vs. Field Bands

How in the hell we got on this topic I will never know, but FYI:

Members of the United States Marine Band, "The President's Own," are NOT Marines (except for the Drum Major(s), any prior-service Marine members (recruited from the field bands), and the logistics crew assigned to the Band). They are enlisted at the E-6 rate solely for service with the Marine Band, have an internal promotion system, but are still subject to the UCMJ. If you look at their rank, you will notice that in place of crossed rifles, they have musical lyres.

Why, you ask? Marine Band members are some of the finest musicians in the world. For the most part, if they do not play their instruments for even one day, their performance suffers. Since they enlist for assignment to the Band, and are non-deployable (they cannot even leave the D.C. area without Presidential approval), it is unrealistic to send them to boot camp, if they are simply going to serve as musicians.

Marine Bandsmen from the 12 field bands (in the 5500 Occ Field), and the Commandant's Own Drum and Bugle Corps, on the other hand, are every bit Marine. They go through boot camp, MCT, and are held to the same promotion/PME/UCMJ/etc. standards as every other Marine.

Why, you ask? Marine field bands "belong" to the CG of the Division/Wing/Base/Depot/etc. they are assigned to. While their primary role during peacetime is musical support, their secondary mission is headquarters security. (The III MAW and I MARDIV bands were heavily tasked in the past year - in fact, I MARDIV band is deployed as we speak.)

It is worth noting that Marine musicians must be MOS proficient PRIOR to enlistment - it is one of the rare fields where MOS proficiency is a prerequisite to service.

EODDave

pilot
Super Moderator
Isnt this the Navy to Marine transition page. How did it turn into a Marine band / Academy / complete BS page. I am looking for people with thoughts about the thread topic. If you want to talk about the crap that this thread turned into JJ and all, then start a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.