• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Nevy to Marine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
BigWorm said:
I don't think its the flight suit as much as the neon pink undershirts you guys like to wear. Why not get a flight suit that matches the undershirt?
aviator_1794_42986625

the second I gotta start worrying about the color of the shirt underneath my flightsuit, I'm already gonna be in deep kimchi

but something tells me I'm not gonna have to worry about my red t-shirt while I'm dropping ordinance off my aircraft, call me crazy

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
JetJunkie said:
I agree that the flight deck is extremely dangerous. In his book the Right Stuff, (although he was referring specifically to the aviators, enlisted personel are at risk too on deck) Tom Wolfe cites statistic that those in Naval Aviation had a 20% chance of dying... outside of combat! as late as the 1970's.

But one thing though is... as long as everyone does their job right and proper precautions are taken.. i'd think that most of the dangers can be minimzed. How many fatalities have their been on the flight deck in the past 2 years (compared with Marine causualties on the ground)? I will concede though that the lack of fatalities on the flight deck is more of a tribute to the skills of those who do their jobs correctly and make it look "easy" as opposed to the dangers being any less.

But where i do defer is on the following point: How many on the flight deck are being targetted by the enemy and shot at while doing their jobs?

I think this is what makes being an infantry Marine (or seabees, etc..) more dangerous.... actively having the enemy targetting them in their gunsights.

not denying the dangers of being shot at on the ground, but just because someone isn't getting directly targeted by the enemy makes their job any less dangerous. most of the time, you can see when you're getting shot at, but you can't see jet blast or spinning props

and during peacetime, 65% of the fatalities occuring in the naval services are from aircrew

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Basically JetJunkie, we're saying you need to get off this high-horse idea that the only true warriors are those that like to play "bullet sponge".

35_NSS

Fly Navy said:
Basically JetJunkie, we're saying you need to get off this high-horse idea that the only true warriors are those that like to play "bullet sponge".

" True Warrior", Man you guys havent seen a true warrior until you've seen a squid with a paint chipper. Shoot, i still have nightmares. God bless the navy!!

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
35_NSS said:
" True Warrior", Man you guys havent seen a true warrior until you've seen a squid with a paint chipper. Shoot, i still have nightmares. God bless the navy!!

Don't fvck with a man high on paint fumes...

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
Well, JJ, you got one thing right... you do need boots on the ground. Aircraft can't hold territory. But what do you mean saying that being on the ground is more dangerous. You can't say that because there have been more casualties that it is more dangerous. I would think danger rests in the possibility/probability of being injured. There are not 135,000 sailors over in the gulf right now.

Does anyone have % figures for those KIA over in OIF? What about for aviation?

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
JetJunkie said:
That's what i believe makes their job more dangerous, and therefore, the "de facto" tip of the spear.

everyone in a forward deployed zone, whether it be the grunt on the ground, the mess cook on the carrier in the Gulf, or an aviator drinking coffee in the ready room waiting for his walk time are all the "de facto" tip of the spear

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
Whalebite said:
If everyone is the tip of the spear, and there is no handle, you won't be able to throw it very far.

reading comprehension

forward deployed = tip of the spear

Whalebite

The handle is a nessescary part of the spear, and without it the tip can't do its job, but the tip is the sharp pointy end.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Speaking of UAVs... anyone have any clue why they fly them while wearing flight suits?

Status
Not open for further replies.