• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Netflix recommendations?

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Thought there was another thread about posting worthy recommendations about what's streaming on Netflix, Amazon Prime, HBO, etc. But for the life of me I cannot find it.

Anyways - watched Mosul last night and highly recommended. A classic hero's tale of a movie if you can get past the intensity of the violence. Well acted and directed on so many fronts - way more than a war movie. Perhaps the best movie of the last 2-3 years IMHO.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Thought there was another thread about posting worthy recommendations about what's streaming on Netflix, Amazon Prime, HBO, etc. But for the life of me I cannot find it.

Anyways - watched Mosul last night and highly recommended. A classic hero's tale of a movie if you can get past the intensity of the violence. Well acted and directed on so many fronts - way more than a war movie. Perhaps the best movie of the last 2-3 years IMHO.

View attachment 28250
The Netflix thread is in the Warzone.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Just rewatched the 1959 Hitchcock thriller: North By Northwest. Cary Grant, Eva Marie Saint and James Mason. Fantastic movie. It opens in the famous Oak Room at the Plaza Hotel which I luckily managed to stop by before it closed. Can't remember if I ordered a Gibson like Cary Grant, but still fun to visit.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Started watching the latest version of The Stand... really good first episode. I've read both version of the book and watched the 1994 Gary Sinise mini-series (which was decent), and this looks to be the best effort thus far. Stephen King adaptations are usually either supremely bad, or really good. This one looks to be of the latter flavor. It's on CBS all access - Recommend.

RoarkJr.

I recommend the operations room on YouTube. It’s essentially a play-by-play breakdown of certain battles and military events but done with incredible detail and graphics that really help paint the picture.

There are episodes on desert storm, both air and ground side. The latest one is Lt Winters famous assault on the German guns by Brecourt Manor.

FinkUFreaky

pilot
Started watching the latest version of The Stand... really good first episode. I've read both version of the book and watched the 1994 Gary Sinise mini-series (which was decent), and this looks to be the best effort thus far. Stephen King adaptations are usually either supremely bad, or really good. This one looks to be of the latter flavor. It's on CBS all access - Recommend.
Huge Stephen King fan in my younger days... I didn't know there were two versions of the book though!

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Huge Stephen King fan in my younger days... I didn't know there were two versions of the book though!
There's the original and the unabridged version that is several hundred more pages. I guess when you're one of the world's most successful writers, you can tell your editor to pack sand. BTW, the TV series is crazy good. They're doing a really nice job of building everything up. Another nice aspect is that the story seems to jump around in time more than I remember. Alexander Skarsgård plays Flagg, which is a lot more frightening than the mullet guy from the 1990s version.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I guess when you're one of the world's most successful writers, you can tell your editor to pack sand.
And this is why the last part of the Dark Tower series chugs, bangs, and stalls its way back to the flightline.

FinkUFreaky

pilot
There's the original and the unabridged version that is several hundred more pages. I guess when you're one of the world's most successful writers, you can tell your editor to pack sand. BTW, the TV series is crazy good. They're doing a really nice job of building everything up. Another nice aspect is that the story seems to jump around in time more than I remember. Alexander Skarsgård plays Flagg, which is a lot more frightening than the mullet guy from the 1990s version.
Nice. May need to add CBS's streaming services, at least temporarily.

And this is why the last part of the Dark Tower series chugs, bangs, and stalls its way back to the flightline.

Yeah, I enjoyed the series as a whole but the end did kinda drag. Might need to re-read from an older perspective... But I started losing interest in his writing after "The Dome" or whatever it was called. Seemed too familiar. And I had started reading Game of Thrones, which admittedly changed my fictional reading landscapes from then on. That said, after writing 30 bestsellers, how do you not tread familiar ground?

Pags

N/A
pilot
Nice. May need to add CBS's streaming services, at least temporarily.

Yeah, I enjoyed the series as a whole but the end did kinda drag. Might need to re-read from an older perspective... But I started losing interest in his writing after "The Dome" or whatever it was called. Seemed too familiar. And I had started reading Game of Thrones, which admittedly changed my fictional reading landscapes from then on. That said, after writing 30 bestsellers, how do you not tread familiar ground?
A smidge of a zombie thread....but Stephen King can't write an ending to save his life.