• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Need Help with running

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need Help with running i have a year left of college and I am trying to get into shape. I attempted to run one mile today and only could do 2.5 laps.
My problem is I am out of shape, I need help building my edurance not so much time. I want to be at Marine corps standards so what ever branch I decide I should be in shape. What can I do to build my edurance, I have been running on a treadmill for the last month off and on and using a stairmaster does this help or what!!!. I am starting to run three days a week monday,wensday,friday. Like I mentioned I need help with endurance not time.

Give your suggestions
Thanks Shannon

sipelle

watch your diet...running is much much much tougher before you loose the extra pounds....and running on a stomach of pizza isnt pleasent either...no greasy foods...

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Run until you puke then run some more until you puke then keep running then repeat the next day. Being unable to run a mile is unsat and dont bother applying anywhere until you have remedied that situation you will just waste your time and the governments.

Once you get further along a program I used was run at a medium pace for 10 mins(this is your warm up) then run as hard as you can for six munites (goal being a mile at least) then jog for five minutes (this is your rest period) then another six minutes hard then five mins easy then six mins hard. Then turn around (you should be between 3 and 4 miles away) and run back at a medium pace.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
skidkid said:
Run until you puke then run some more until you puke then keep running then repeat the next day. Being unable to run a mile is unsat and dont bother applying anywhere until you have remedied that situation you will just waste your time and the governments.

Once you get further along a program I used was run at a medium pace for 10 mins(this is your warm up) then run as hard as you can for six munites (goal being a mile at least) then jog for five minutes (this is your rest period) then another six minutes hard then five mins easy then six mins hard. Then turn around (you should be between 3 and 4 miles away) and run back at a medium pace.
Concur with all. If you're fat, get thin. Running is 50% mental, so if you think you're done after 2.5 laps, then of course you'll quit. Set goals and be an overachiever. I log 15-20 miles per week, and sometimes I don't want to be running, but I do it anyway because that's my thing. I realize that none of us has laid eyes on you, but I've seen some fairly out of shape people belt out 3-5 miles out of sheer will.

Hope that helps,

Brett

KBayDog

Another angle you could take is to set a time goal for yourself, and run that, rather than for distance. For example, rather than set a goal of running three miles today, I may set a goal of running for 30 minutes, regardless of the distance actually covered. The distance will increase as you get faster, even when you run the same 30 mins.

Something that gets me off my butt to this day is registering for a local 5k/10k race a month or two out. Having a carrot like that helps keep me motivated, and having an "official" verification of my effort works for me. Don't worry about what other people think; local races don't just attract speed demons - you will see 80-year old women running, 300# men, little kids, etc. You will just be another face in the crowd.

Plus, you'll find that recreational runners are a very supportive group. Even while the race is running, your competition will be cheering you on. I think you'd enjoy the experience.

Xeo111

My OSO gave me a running program that takes people who've basically never really run before and builds them up over a period of 16 weeks to the point where they're training for marathons. It basically starts off the first week by running 1-2 miles on Monday, Wednesday, Friday. Tuesday and Thursday is some kind of cross training to prevent injury, such as swimming or cycling.

Over the next 16 weeks it builds up the distances slowly, with a break in the third week of absolutely no running (apparently the third week is a critical time for injuries in new runners, and throwing in that week with no running helps aid the body in rebuilding itself after the first two weeks).

I'm trying to find this program online, but I'm having trouble. However, just google "Running plan" and you'll get a ton of suggestions and ideas.

The important thing is to warm up and stretch. You probably already know that, but just in case, I'll throw it in there. I had a habit of not stretching or warming up *quite* as much as I should have and ended up with shin splints and a jacked up knee. Learned my lesson.

Good luck, hope it helps.

smittyrunr

pilot
Contributor
How long/fast are you running on the treadmill? If you can run more than a mile on the treadmill, then the issue is mind over matter on the track, either that or pacing yourself.

To improve endurance, try aiming for 30 min a day for now, mixing walking and running ie walk 2 min, run 1 min or however it works for you. Each day increase the amount of time you run and decrease the walking. The idea isn't to sprint, you can only increase endurance by maintaining a steady pace over the distance. Then add time. The post above about no running (but still cross-train) every 3 weeks is very good advice when you are just starting. www.runnersworld.com has some very good plans for beginnners.

Thanks for the replys. I am a 24 male and my weight is 155 so I am not totally fat but just out of shape. As far as running on a treadmill I would do a mile at a 12 min pace. I think it was just a issue of being out of shape and winded. What should i use in regards to proper breathing techniqes. Also I bought some nike running shoes and they suck it feels like I am running with plywood soals. What type of running shoes do you guys use in the Marine's. I was told that the Marine Corp's issue running shoes what type are they. Once again thanks for the reply I look forward to hearing any other suggestions.

T-man

A&P wallis said:
Thanks for the replys. I am a 24 male and my weight is 155 so I am not totally fat but just out of shape. As far as running on a treadmill I would do a mile at a 12 min pace. I think it was just a issue of being out of shape and winded. What should i use in regards to proper breathing techniqes. Also I bought some nike running shoes and they suck it feels like I am running with plywood soals. What type of running shoes do you guys use in the Marine's. I was told that the Marine Corp's issue running shoes what type are they. Once again thanks for the reply I look forward to hearing any other suggestions.

I don't know about once your in the Corps, but for OCS, we are instructed to bring 2 pair of running shoes from home. That said, I would highly recomend going to a shoe store that specializes in running shoes. They have professionals there that will watch you walk/run and evaluate how you plant your foot. Based on that info, they will give you a selection of a few shoes to try on that will properly support your feet and give you the best comfort. I went to a store called Foot Zone where they did this to me and discovered that I pronate. I went to this store after having severe foot pain for about a month. The shoes I walked out with were a godsend, and in about 3 weeks, all foot pain was gone.

T-man said:
I don't know about once your in the Corps, but for OCS, we are instructed to bring 2 pair of running shoes from home. That said, I would highly recomend going to a shoe store that specializes in running shoes. They have professionals there that will watch you walk/run and evaluate how you plant your foot. Based on that info, they will give you a selection of a few shoes to try on that will properly support your feet and give you the best comfort. I went to a store called Foot Zone where they did this to me and discovered that I pronate. I went to this store after having severe foot pain for about a month. The shoes I walked out with were a godsend, and in about 3 weeks, all foot pain was gone.

Yeah I went on a 3 mile run in the old $hitty shoes.
Went into a New Balance store the same morning, salesman tells me i pronate, gives me a new pair, and I'm in heaven.
It's seriously amazing how much of a difference shoes can make.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Running shoes help and are all well and god but remember for the Marines you will be running in boots as well.

motv8r

Where do I sign up?
Stay away from the track and for heaven's sake don't use a treadmill. If your goal is to be a Marine, you need to be oustide on the road or on a trail. The track is just going to play with your head and the treadmill... well... its inside. I suggest mapping out a 4 mi course in the neighbohood or on a nature trail. You need to run this course a min 3x a week. You don't have to alternate days and you can run anytime. Just make sure you get in 3 good sessions a week. Give yourself enough time to make the run. If it takes two hours or 30 mins, get it done. You don't have to run the whole distance at first. Run, walk or jog, make sure you get the 4 miles. The human body adapts very quickly and before you know it you will be cruising. Discipline yourself!! Put on some headphones, your favorite tunes and get steppin.

Running shoes... New Balance and Brooks seem to be a favorite of serious runners.
Breathing... In through nose and out da mouth. Watch the Karate Kid.

T-man

skidkid said:
Running shoes help and are all well and god but remember for the Marines you will be running in boots as well.

A very good point... but imho that makes a good pair of running shoes all the more necessary when you're alowed to use them.

Agreed with pretty much everything here. Pace yourself for 30 minutes of aerobic activity (walking doesn't count), and do it at least 5 days/wk.

Back when I started running in high school, I could go about half a mile before I had to stop. Somehow I hurt my back, so I started doing the stair stepper and eliptical machines. I set the time for 30 minutes and adjusted the difficulty level as I went so that I was always pushing myself. I did this 6-7 days/wk. A couple months later when I started running again I could 2-3 miles no problem.

The machines aren't really good long term solutions, but they might help you get to the point where you can run.

Well I looked at some web sites on the internet and came up with a programe. Now this is just to start out with, I ran one lap and walked one lap repeated this four times. At the end I ran four laps around the track = to one mile and walked five laps. So I ran/walked a little over two miles today. This is my third time running since I started. Also I will need new shoes the ones that I have are hard as hell. I need some thing with a spongy soul. As far as the running programe I will do this for two weeks followed by increasing my running to two laps and one walk lap in between. This seems to work for me since I am just getting started. My goal is to atleast run three miles without stoping and once I feel good with that I'll work on getting the time down. I have a year and a half before I finish school so i have some time to get into shape. Also what kind of healthy foods do you guys recommend.

Status
Not open for further replies.