• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Need Help with running

Status
Not open for further replies.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
NEED HELP WITH YOUR RUNNING ??? TRY THIS:

Shotgun-Wedding.jpg
0029.jpg

T-man

Keep up the good work guys. Let me say first that I am by no means an expert on this sort of thing. However, to give you guys an idea where I've come from: I decided to apply for OCS back in January. Back then I was roughly 250-260 lbs and could barely jog a 1/4 mile. Since then I have lost about 50-60 lbs and last tuesday I ran 5.5 miles non-stop on a treadmill. When I stepped off, I was barely winded and felt I could have kept going indefinitely. All this to say it is possible to see results. Some people may see them faster than others. Just be carefull of injuries. I have pushed myself hard due to time limits (due to my age, I'm running out of time FAST to get into the Corps) and continue to push myself. Due to that fact, I am suffering some minor injuries but am having to force myself to work through them while keeping a close watch to make sure they don't get too severe. I think the fact that I have a desk job at the moment is partly what is keeping my injuries from getting too bad, and in fact, are starting to heal now that I am in much better shape than I was a month ago.

Anyways, keep up the good work and that PFT will come around. I never took a PFT back in January, but if I were to hazard a guess, I'd say it would have been around a 50. My first official PFT with my OSO was about 2 weeks ago and scored a 197 (13/67/23:48) after 3 months of hard dieting and PTing. I didn't make the 189 selection board, but I'm not dissappointed with my efforts. Hope to see some of you at OCS 190 :icon_smil

T-man

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
I had a similar experience as T-man. Walked in my OSO's office in January unable to do a single pullup and unable to run a mile. My PFT was pretty well under 100 back then as well. I worked at it hard and finally passed my pft yesterday with a 229.

Did you get your shoes at a running store? runner's world has a list of stores; find one near you, and they'll help you select a good shoe. If you have flat feet (like me), you may want to try arch supports (i use dr scholl's advantage sport, it's helped a lot).

If you have an elliptical machine, work that on the days you're not running. It's a good supplement to running as it takes the impact off your feet.

And the most important thing to remember is that you have to push yourself outside your comfort zone if you want to progress. You have a year and a half, should be quite enough time.

Ann Merke

Stay healthy, stay active, stay motivated. Don't let your mind f$%^ with you - that's always been my biggest challenge. Any sort of self-doubt, natural resignation, shake it off now and get over it. Keep moving, follow a prescribed work out plan if you have to and follow it to the word. Don't quit!

sublime steve

Who's scruffy lookin?
Also, remember to use proper fundamentals when you run. Swing your arms at a 90 degree angle and try and get into a mental "rythm."

matt6599

BDCP SNA 2007
Hey everyone I know I am navy and this is the marine forum but...I had a question..
T-man: what kind of diet did you follow to lose your weight? I am about 220 now and want to get down to about 180 (I have about 16% body fat so losing 40 pounds is a pretty big deal) and also what running program did you follow?

Mayday

I thought that was the recline!
I knew a SSgt a couple years ago that no sh!t went on the special K diet. He ate a single bowl for b/f, a single bowl for lunch, and whatever he wanted for dinner. He lost 25lbs in four months and went from a pretty beefy guy who ran 23 minute 3 mi. to a great set of abs and an 18:30, all from the diet! It inspired a lot of us in the unit, and though none of us went Special K exactly, we equivocated it in calorie intake.

As it's been mentioned before in this forum, calories in must = or < calories out, every day, without exception (except the occasional weekend binge, which is a necessary "metabolism shocker"). I went from 210 (6'2", btw) down to 190 in 5 weeks, and another Sgt at the time went from 215 (6') down to 192. None of this is hydroxycut-commercial-caliber stuff, but it was real, and really satisfying. I went from a 21 min 3 mi. to an 18, again just from the diet. I now firmly believe that diet and exercise are co-dependent, as one will definitely and drastically affect the other.

My own diet consisted mainly of eggs for b/f, lowfat yogurt or string cheese (<2% fat) or celery w/ peanut butter for lunch, and a small dose of whatever I felt like for dinner, supplemented by LOTS and LOTS of water! Everytime I felt hungry, I drank water. It really helps your body "rinse" itself out, and seems to trick the stomach into temporarily forgetting it's empty. Hope all this rambling helps someone...

T-man

matt6599 said:
Hey everyone I know I am navy and this is the marine forum but...I had a question..
T-man: what kind of diet did you follow to lose your weight? I am about 220 now and want to get down to about 180 (I have about 16% body fat so losing 40 pounds is a pretty big deal) and also what running program did you follow?

My diet:
All I did for my diet really was a low calorie or starvation diet. The key thing to remember here is you're not starving yourself by just not eating. That is very unhealthy. I ate 3 square meals a day, however, I ate very little for each meal. No fast food, and nothing to drink except water and the occassional glass of 100% natural fruit juice. Another key factor is to make sure you're getting each of the 4 food groups each day to keep a balanced diet (fruits, vegetables, grains, meats). Whenever possible, try to eat a little of each food group at each meal. Also, make sure you're eating natural foods. DO NOT buy strickly foods that are non-fat or low-fat. There are some foods that are naturally low fat, and may be advertised on the box, but more often then not, there has been some sort of chemical change in the food to remove the fat, which is just as unhealthy, if not more so. Be concious of calories (read the serving size and calories/serving on almost everything you buy). To give an example of this, I LOVE milk, I used to drink it more than water. However, when I read the label, I discovered that milk is actually fairly high in calories, so I cut it almost completely out of my diet. Another point on milk, this falls in line with avoiding "non-fat" stuff, it is recommended that you buy 2% or whole milk. fat free milk imho is discusting, but also, fat free milk is not as healthy for you overall. Although I have slacked off a bit to give my body a break and adjust, I'm about to start hitting it hard again to get the extra 10-20 lbs off me.

a typical days rations:
Breakfast: This is normally 1 of 2 things. a half bowl of cereal with milk or a whole wheat ego waffle (I would make my own whole wheat waffles or pancakes if I had the time) with peanut butter and home canned fruit (I have peaches, pears are good too but I don't have any). Wash this down with a small glass of OJ.

Lunch: This normally consisted of half a sandwich (ham & cheese with a little bit of mayo so that the sandwich wasn't so dry) and a very small salad or some carrots/cellerie(sp?), washed down with a glass of water.

Dinner: either a repeat of lunch, or if I felt like cooking, some spaghetti with a small salad. Again washed down with a glass of water.

Suppliments: due to the being on such a severe diet, I was concerned about my body getting proper vitamin intake, especially calcium for my bones as I was doing a lot of walking/running. To compensate for the severe diet and help balance this out, I began taking a multi-vitamin tablet and a calcium tablet. My biggest concern was getting enough calcium as I was suffering from some minor leg injuries (one of which may be/have been a stress fracture). With that in mind, I looked for a combination of multi/calcium that would give me 100% of the recommended daily value of calcium. For the tablets I found, this is 1 tablet of each (1 multi, and 1 calcium) 3 times a day. Keep in mind that I came up with this formula based on how much calcium was contained in each tablet. This does not follow the recommended intake as labeled on the bottle which would have put me well over 200% of the daily value due to the fact that the recommended intake for the calcium alone would have put me at 100%. I chose to go this route because although calcium was my main concern, I knew that my body needed much if not all of the other elements contained in the multivitamin and I wanted to keep my body as balanced as possible.

In summery, you can really eat just about anything you want so long as it's healthy, balanced, and you keep your calorie intake lower than your calorie consumption.

Excersize
Another key to losing weight is regular excersize. While dieting, I would walk 2 and from my work whenever possible (about 3 miles 1 way). This would give me about 6 miles of walking each day whenever I walked to work. On occassion I would jog 1 way (either to or from work, usually from so that I wasn't all sweaty when I got to work). Also, when walking from work, I would on occassion take a different route (about an extra mile) to walk through a park that had a pullup bar. I would stop in the park and do a few pullups to try and follow some semblance of the armstrong pullup program. Also in line with the armstrong pullup program, I would do the 3 max effort sets of pushups in the morning before walking to work.

I really dind't follow a running program. Honestly I really didn't do a whole lot of running to begin with. I actually did more walking than running. However, I made sure that I was walking at a fairly fast pace whenever possible. And when walking to/from work, I was carrying a backpack with my lunch and work clothes. I would wear sweats on my walk, and change in the restroom at work into my work clothes. All totalled I was traveling on foot more than 30 miles per week (6+ miles / day during the work week and then I'd try to run at least 1 day on the weekend). Due to a lot of rainy weather lately, I haven't been able to keep this up, but I have not put any weight back on yet.

Hope this helps, and if you have any further questions feel free to ask.
T-man

T-man

Mayday said:
...supplemented by LOTS and LOTS of water! Everytime I felt hungry, I drank water. It really helps your body "rinse" itself out, and seems to trick the stomach into temporarily forgetting it's empty.

excellent excellent excellent points!!!

whenever you start to feel hungry, especially on a starvation/low calorie diet, and it's not yet meal time, drink some water. Your "hunger" signals are simply your stomach telling you it's empty. Filling it with water will aleviate those "hunger pains" as well as work to clean ("rinse") your body of toxins.

matt6599

BDCP SNA 2007
What do you think about drinks like crystal lite? I have noticed that when I get the urge for something sweet at night or after a meal that if i drink a glass of crystal light (about 10 calories) that it seems to take care of it....did you drink any drinks along those lines?

Mayday

I thought that was the recline!
That sounds okay. Anything < 50 calories gets burned up just by breathing for 1 hour anyway. I just never had the urge to drink something so popular with the ladies, no offense.

livefast

All this advice is good. Use caution not to overtrain--you should increase how much you run very slowly. Also remember that you will not get faster if you run at the same rate, so once you get to the point where you can run for 30 minutes, concentrate on running faster.

matt6599

BDCP SNA 2007
Yeah I know its popular with the ladies but gatorade or "real" lemonade has a million calories in it. Thanks for everyone's help.

KSUFLY

pilot
For those having trouble with shin splints...first rest until they are healed. Then when you get back to running to keep from getting them again, raise up on the balls of your feet and then back down to a normal standing position. Continue doing this for numerous repetitions. Also, when you're sitting, spell the alphabet out in the air with your toes by moving only your ankle. It sounds weird but it works!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.