• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Need Help with running

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ann Merke

the alphabet move always helped my shin splints - that's a really good stretch and maintenence "technique"... it ensures that you spend ENOUGH time stretching also...

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
treadmills might be good if you cant get outside for whatever reason or to get some cardio stuff in, but I dont really feel that they're realistic to actually running. Try eating a banana or two before you run (although I did not really enjoy the taste this morning as I was dry-heaving during my PFT).

One thing that really helps you to go farther each time is to be paced. Get a cadence or song in your head and run with the beat. Do not slow down or speed up. If you want to go faster or need to go slower, just take bigger or smaller steps, but your feet should still keep hitting the ground at the same beat.

Also, alot of it is mental. Once you get bored you start thinking about the running and get tired and worn down (mentally) real fast. Try running in sets of 4 steps...1-2-3-4 2-2-3-4 3-2-3-4 4-2-3-4.... all the way up to 30 or 50 or whatever number you want. It gives you a goal to reach (which isnt quite as hard as thinking about the number of miles you have left) and plus takes your mind off of the running. Once you get bored with the counting go back to the song or cadence. Also, try to set your breathing...I breathe in every two steps and out every two. So pretty much everytime my right foot hits I'm breathing. If you end up bursting into some fast running for a leg or two, you might want to adjust your breathing accordingly, but I would keep the same stepping pace...just take bigger steps.

This stuff usually works for me. My times either decrease each time or my distance increases.

Status
Not open for further replies.