• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy VS Air Force Helicopter Pilot

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
one was A and the other was B, when that's not exactly the case

My logical mistake, I confess this. But in UK the CG had never been military. Look, when aboard USCGC Gallatin in 1993 during her port call in Saint Petersburg, Russia, I met the US Navy SWO Lt who, as I've been told, was in charge of cutter's 76-mm gun since CG personnell is not authorized to use such a gun, but maybe it was a case of "lost in translation". In all the other aspects those Coasties had looked and acted as pure military ship's company.

Last edited:

Max the Mad Russian

Generally, international PEP is something very useful for mutual defence, and I can praise the cases when for example Swiss or Finnish or Canadian or Spain Air Forces send their exchange pilots to VFAs since those pilots are familiar with F/A-18 family aircraft. But when German Luftwaffe or Italian Aeronautica Militare send to VFA or VMFA an exchange pilots who never touched Hornets before, I suggest it takes time and money comparable to standard USN NA pipeline to "wing" them. Is it wise?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Typically, unless you're flying the exact type/model/series of aircraft from the same country, EVERYONE goes through some sort of retraining when flying a different or nearly different aircraft. Plus the USCG is very particular about how they do SAR, so even a Navy guy would have to go through ATC and re-learn things.

While the USCG may not have had -53s, they did have Pelicans.

A flying cutterman... Rare bird. Maybe you remember whether he wore a cutterman badge beneath the Wings?

It's pretty normal for "pure blood" USCG officers to come from cutters before going to a different community (TACLET, PR, Aviation, etc). Yes, they have water wings.

...I met the US Navy SWO Lt who, as I've been told, was in charge of cutter's 76-mm gun since CG personnell is not authorized to use such a gun, but maybe it was a case of "lost in translation". In all the other aspects those Coasties had looked and acted as pure military ship's company.

Admittedly it was a different time, but I think something was lost in the translation.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's pretty normal for "pure blood" USCG officers to come from cutters before going to a different community (TACLET, PR, Aviation, etc). Yes, they have water wings.

They have a time requirement to be able to wear them permanently though unlike SWO's, 5 years cumulative.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Thanks. AFAIK, USCG never used 53, so this guy had to pass a full training I suppose
These were personnel exchange tours. And actually the legacy goes back to Vietnam War era. Look it up - quite a few USCG aviators distinguished themselves in combat while serving with AF units.

Max the Mad Russian

Typically, unless you're flying the exact type/model/series of aircraft from the same country, EVERYONE goes through some sort of retraining when flying a different or nearly different aircraft.
Understood. Yes even this Finn flown F/A-18C from his childhood had to pass full VMFAT-101 route before his first trap.

Last edited:

Max the Mad Russian

It's pretty normal for "pure blood" USCG officers to come from cutters before going to a different community (TACLET, PR, Aviation, etc).

Just like TBS for Marines, right? Those two "Semper" services are similar to a degree... Just like both Marines' and Coasties' Hercs flown with enlisted navigators...

BarryD

Contributor
Just like TBS for Marines, right? Those two "Semper" services are similar to a degree... Just like both Marines' and Coasties' Hercs flown with enlisted navigators...
I think a better comparison might be when most didn’t directly select Subs/Aviation from NROTC/USNA and wound up going to a ship and would lat transfer over.

Max the Mad Russian

I think a better comparison might be when most didn’t directly select Subs/Aviation from NROTC/USNA and wound up going to a ship and would lat transfer over.

Yeah as this had been before WWII: fresh Ens should have a first tour as DivO shoe. AFAIK, Royal Navy still sticks with such rule.