• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy VS Air Force Helicopter Pilot

BarryD

Contributor
Yeah as this had been before WWII: fresh Ens should have a first tour as DivO shoe. AFAIK, Royal Navy still sticks with such rule.
Looking at RN recruiting, you can apply to be a pilot, but I don't know if that's caveated with being a DivO before flight school.

I've only met one RN pilot, and he was a pilot who started as a SWO.

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
Nowadays it seems they got rid of this practice too, except for "initial time with the fleet", a third and the last part of training in BRNC, where the midns are to be send to active surface ships for a month or two. Note that it takes about 3,5 years now for Royal Navy officers for full flight training from Elementary to a deployable squadron in case of F-35B and just about 2 years for rotary wings

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
.. Just like both Marines' and Coasties' Hercs flown with enlisted navigators...

The Marine enlisted Nav types went through similar training as the rest of us in USAF nav training, even using the same sims and planes, but in some ways their training was tougher in some respects than ours. From what little I know the Coasties had only a fraction of that training.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
When I went through Navigator training at Mather we had enlisted Marine Navs going through too. Their syllabus was close to ours flying wise (Celestial, radar, oceanic, etc.) except they added air-to0air refueling navigation (what that entailed I have no idea. but it can't be much) and cargo drop navigation (where to drop to hit the LZ). Where we were going to the RAG for more training after Mather they were basically going straight to C-130 units. Mather was Marine Navigator advanced training and RAG in one.

Marines also had to put up with all the Marine military bullshit like formations, inspections, etc. that Marines love. Not boot camp but very regimented time 24/7.

Max the Mad Russian

except they added air-to-air refueling navigation (what that entailed I have no idea. but it can't be much) and cargo drop navigation (where to drop to hit the LZ)
Apparently Coasties' C-130s don't perform that either, so their enlisted Navs can combine this job with Flight Eng one and others.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
FWIW, USCG C-130s do conduct targeted drops. I'm not sure how much training is involved or if it's more eye-balling it. I suspect more the latter.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Apparently Coasties' C-130s don't perform that either, so their enlisted Navs can combine this job with Flight Eng one and others.

From what little I know they had seperate folks but it is largely moot now with the C-130J's that don't have FE's or Nav's, with few exceptions.

Max the Mad Russian

Back to a near topic theme: would somebody tell me could USAF HH-60G (or any other air refuelable helo, say Army SOF CH-47) be refueled in the air by CVW now retired assets, i.e. KA-6 or KS-3 carrier tanker? Assume (armchair expert's opinion of course) that Super Hornet maintaining this role nowadays is too fast for this.