• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEWS Navy to end ending all enlisted ratings!

Pags

N/A
pilot
Uhh . . . too late, cube farmer. This is a really good case of "not knowing when to STFU when you haven't even been commissioned yet." Winged pilots can bust on FOs when they have the cred to do so. You don't.
Really?

Why can't you answer the question without being defensive?

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Uhh . . . too late, cube farmer. This is a really good case of "not knowing when to STFU when you haven't even been commissioned yet." Winged pilots can bust on FOs when they have the cred to do so. You don't.
I was not busting on NFO. I was sticking up for "other" career fields. Your views, and LFCFan's, are the same type of stuff that gets Marines all spun up about meaningless "POG vs Grunt" debates.

One team one fight. Everyone has a part of the mission. So what if someone else has a warfare pin for something you may think doesn't merit a pin. No reason to put em down.

Pags

N/A
pilot
No argument there.

But there's nothing entirely wrong with the PME quiz.
There's two sides to the pin as I see it:
The quals (eg OOD) reflect your ability to competently operate the platform at a minimum level.
The PME side reflects your ability to run the day to day operations. That is going to encompass both onboard PME outside your specialty (but affecting your watchstation quals) as well as the Ops type stuff that's needed to understand how the Ops world works for your unit. Because you can't just only do Eng stuff, you need to have some understanding of the programs outside your Department, or you'll be screwed in future assignments outside your previous "specialty."

Having said that, sure, some commands go way overboard with the PME stuff and go into the weeds on stupid shit that's of minimal relevance. And that's their fault.
I'll buy that as the best defense I've heard of the SWO PQS.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So, not to be flip, what does an NFO pin do that a NAWS pin doesn't?

You train for a skill to get NFO wings just like dolphins, EOD pins and Naval Aviator wings along with other warfare pins. Not so much with many qualification pins to include NAWS, which is more learning about a small part of a discipline and not a skill.

Why can't you answer the question without being defensive?

It is a bit flip to come from someone who doesn't know any better and has no skin in the game yet, so it wasn't unjustified given the tone.

I was not busting on NFO. I was sticking up for "other" career fields. Your views, and LFCFan's, are the same type of stuff that gets Marines all spun up about meaningless "POG vs Grunt" debates....One team one fight. Everyone has a part of the mission. So what if someone else has a warfare pin for something you may think doesn't merit a pin....

The POG vs grunt and other rivalries within the military have their roots in both the strong fraternity of service and a very real distinction of who does what as part of the fight. Everyone has their role in the military, from wrench turner to grunt, but some folks often lose the sight of actually 'knowing their role'. When support folks forget their role is one of 'support' that becomes a problem, and it does happen. The proliferation of pins were everyone gets a shiny prize for getting a few things signed off really hasn't helped much with some of those attitudes.

So there is a pretty big distinction the many warfare and qualification pins, including which ones get a lot more credence than others. Just like a grunt is almost always going to have more credence about the fight than a water dog or an Intel type who sits behind the wire. And of course it extends to who is in command in the fight, with URL/combat arms types the ones in charge.

...No reason to put em down.

Finally, as someone who is just aspiring to be part of the club you really don't have much of a say in the reindeer games we play quite yet.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I truly wonder whether this rateless change will ever take hold from a cultural standpoint. From what I'm observing around my squadron, people are still referring to each other by their rates. The "Petty Officer First Class so and so" banter is tongue in cheek. The PR shop is still the PR shop, and the folks who work in 230 are still the Ordies. It will take years to change the way our people take advancement exams. I sense a service-wide slow roll... and I'm OK with that.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I truly wonder whether this rateless change will ever take hold from a cultural standpoint. From what I'm observing around my squadron, people are still referring to each other by their rates. The "Petty Officer First Class so and so" banter is tongue in cheek. The PR shop is still the PR shop, and the folks who work in 230 are still the Ordies. It will take years to change the way our people take advancement exams. I sense a service-wide slow roll... and I'm OK with that.

Yesterday was the first time I've flown since the policy release. I heard several amusing calls over the radio to include, "can you please send out a person formally known as an AT..." I've continue to find new reasons why this is dumb every day.

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*

Considering that "CVW" and "FRS" haven't really caught on in casual conversation, I'd say quite a while. I'd also add that a lot of the slang, like ordies, mechs, etc, will probably stick around even longer since those are not official terms.

I also wish they'd just say "call everyone Petty Officer" or "PO1, 2 or 3" would make more sense. "Petty officer second class" is a mouthful.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I learned, years ago, that in the sea services you need to know only two titles..."shipmate" and "devil dog." They can be used as terms of duty, endearment, anger, dismissal and so on.

Gator Guard

always knife hands
I witnessed a 2 star make a joke about the rating change on VTC a few days ago. I think they might have to roll back and revamp this update.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It does make one wonder whether this was fast tracked to get it out there prior to Jan 20th.