• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEWS Navy to end ending all enlisted ratings!

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
The more conservative among us are positing some liberal conspiracy to protect the feelings of those who sexually identify as attack helicopters.
730239dd1c5f367d9376be6289474bb34376c0f23bc6f11f522a30d410f2a13a.jpg

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
@Uncle Fester help me understand what it fixes. I've read the press release and message traffic, several times. I'm still wondering what problem this solution address. The career flexibility thing is a stretch because at the end of the day a Sailor is going to get detailed IAW needs of Navy - see also Lemoore. The better translation to civilian employment thing is a stretch as well. Is this an admission that TAPS, GPS, or whatever we're calling it these days doesn't work? Help me understand.
@Uncle Fester ?

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
That is one of the f'ing most funny things I have ever f'ing read... Did he ever find the "bucket of steam?"

To make it even funnier - I guess it wasn't clear in my story, this particular SK was not pranked into believing this - it was all on his / her own merit thinking all the stuff belonged to SK1 Illcraft!

exNavyOffRec

To make it even funnier - I guess it wasn't clear in my story, this particular SK was not pranked into believing this - it was all on his / her own merit thinking all the stuff belonged to SK1 Illcraft!

that is funny, we had a guy come looking for a bucket of steam, a few of the MM's got him a metal bucket, heated it up, put a wet rag on top of it and then used a steam hose to blast steam into the bucket, they then took the bucket to the guys supervisor that asked for the bucket of steam and removed the rag, and for a quick few seconds there was steam.

That is what happens when you get bored nukes in on a joke.

exNavyOffRec

The enlisted warfare qualification system for silver pins is a farce. Show up to the mess decks, memorize the gouge, go see the board, and get another merit badge and "title" to put behind your name like some sort of PhD.

I agree, I had to bust my ass to get my SW and AW!

exNavyOffRec

I'm pretty sure the Plane Captain syllabus in a squadron was more challenging. Of course you make a good case that the SWO pin syllabus is nothing more than the same thing for Os.

Some of the knowledge was difficult for me, but the tasking of getting the pin was more about going and meeting people, finding out about where they work, learning about the job along with retaining some info of their job.

You had to make an effort to get the pin, finding time after watch, after your work, trading watches, etc.... now you just show up and go to a class, it used to mean something more than what it does now.

BigRed389

None
I'm pretty sure the Plane Captain syllabus in a squadron was more challenging. Of course you make a good case that the SWO pin syllabus is nothing more than the same thing for Os.

SWO is at least linked to requirements to qualify a certain level of watchstations.

And if you actually do it 100% by the letter of the instruction, and qualify everything recommended as well as required, it can actually be quite comprehensive.

Pags

N/A
pilot
SWO is at least linked to requirements to qualify a certain level of watchstations.

And if you actually do it 100% by the letter of the instruction, and qualify everything recommended as well as required, it can actually be quite comprehensive.
I agree that it's comprehensive but the boards always seemed far more like a PME quiz than a demonstration of skills/judgement. It also didn't confer anything operational upon the member other than a shiny pin. Go to an OOD board and you're in charge of Mom. Get an EOOW and you can run the plant. Get a TAO qual and you can defend mom. Get a SWO pin and get...a shiny pin...the man off of your back...the option of follow on orders...respect of the JORG?

brownshoe

Contributor
that is funny, we had a guy come looking for a bucket of steam, a few of the MM's got him a metal bucket, heated it up, put a wet rag on top of it and then used a steam hose to blast steam into the bucket, they then took the bucket to the guys supervisor that asked for the bucket of steam and removed the rag, and for a quick few seconds there was steam.

That is what happens when you get bored nukes in on a joke.

In my day it was a bucket of prop wash or a few feet of flight line. Some boots were gone for hours.

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
I agree that it's comprehensive but the boards always seemed far more like a PME quiz than a demonstration of skills/judgement. It also didn't confer anything operational upon the member other than a shiny pin.

The IWO/IDWO pin (whatever they call it this week, I just call them nerd wings) is also unfortunately a big PME quiz for the most part. I like to say that despite being gold it is basically a glorified enlisted warfare pin for officers. It doesn't tell anyone that I can do something that others can't, like fly planes or drive subs.

BigRed389

None
I agree that it's comprehensive but the boards always seemed far more like a PME quiz than a demonstration of skills/judgement. It also didn't confer anything operational upon the member other than a shiny pin. Go to an OOD board and you're in charge of Mom. Get an EOOW and you can run the plant. Get a TAO qual and you can defend mom. Get a SWO pin and get...a shiny pin...the man off of your back...the option of follow on orders...respect of the JORG?

No argument there.

But there's nothing entirely wrong with the PME quiz.
There's two sides to the pin as I see it:
The quals (eg OOD) reflect your ability to competently operate the platform at a minimum level.
The PME side reflects your ability to run the day to day operations. That is going to encompass both onboard PME outside your specialty (but affecting your watchstation quals) as well as the Ops type stuff that's needed to understand how the Ops world works for your unit. Because you can't just only do Eng stuff, you need to have some understanding of the programs outside your Department, or you'll be screwed in future assignments outside your previous "specialty."

Having said that, sure, some commands go way overboard with the PME stuff and go into the weeds on stupid shit that's of minimal relevance. And that's their fault.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
The IWO/IDWO pin (whatever they call it this week, I just call them nerd wings) is also unfortunately a big PME quiz for the most part. I like to say that despite being gold it is basically a glorified enlisted warfare pin for officers. It doesn't tell anyone that I can do something that others can't, like fly planes or drive subs.
So, not to be flip, what does an NFO pin do that a NAWS pin doesn't?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So, not to be flip, what does an NFO pin do that a NAWS pin doesn't?
Uhh . . . too late, cube farmer. This is a really good case of "not knowing when to STFU when you haven't even been commissioned yet." Winged pilots can bust on FOs when they have the cred to do so. You don't.