• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy joins the pack and adopts Digital Camouflage

KBayDog

Fly Navy said:
I saw a demo of digital vs standard cammo. The results were amazing.

Right. But until they start using digital camouflage on naval ships and aircraft (does anyone have a pic of (I believe) the III MAW CG's plane done up in digi?), it's kind of a moot point.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
KBayDog said:
Right. But until they start using digital camouflage on naval ships and aircraft (does anyone have a pic of (I believe) the III MAW CG's plane done up in digi?), it's kind of a moot point.

Shoot, I was just commenting on woodland. I know some enlisted guys that are begging for these new uniforms. It will take care of a lot of problems.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
So again.. does this mean nomore wash Kahkis? What will you wear as SDO now on the boat in the RR ?

KBayDog

Fly Navy said:
Shoot, I was just commenting on woodland. I know some enlisted guys that are begging for these new uniforms. It will take care of a lot of problems.

AH...so perhaps it's a morale/retention/recruiting thing ;)

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
ChuckMK23 said:
So again.. does this mean nomore wash Kahkis? What will you wear as SDO now on the boat in the RR ?

I didn't see anybody wear wash khakis for SDO last cruise. They usually go with a different color flight suit. We used khaki, another squadron used black, and some just used the green with a red SDO badge.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
And can someone explain to me why they keep making uniforms w/ synthetic material? I thought we learned our lesson from the Forrestal.

As for the DCU pattern, I can say from first hand experience, even in a normal "base" setting, they work pretty damn well. I've almost hit a Marine or two (not on purpose, I promise) because the uniform literally blended in w/ the trees. The boots and skin would break them out.

Lawman

None
Its an optical confusion factor for your eyes that basically makes them unable to focus on the pattern at distance. Its not that you cant see it, its that the natural geometric shapes of the surrounding Nature (trees, leaves, ect) are more attractive to your eye when you scan and remain unfocused on any one thing. The old woodland pattern and the tiger pattern before it were ineffective in comparison because they used geometric patterns. Saw a demo video on it where they had us look at the screen and pick out the guys in the bush. I think we managed to spot 3 out of the 10 between me and a dozen other guys. Really impressive stuff.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
So for us P-3 bubbas that insist on standing SDO in service khakis (because khakis are so awesome), do we get to switch to these? Or do we keep service khakis (no would be the best answer)?

beau

Thread jack: Speaking of focusing....I cant stop looking at "Thisguy"'s pic. Oh... Ma.. God!

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
beau said:
Thread jack: Speaking of focusing....I cant stop looking at "Thisguy"'s pic. Oh... Ma.. God!

Can't stop looking at HIS pic eh? I knew you were fruity...

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
PropStop said:
So for us P-3 bubbas that insist on standing SDO in service khakis (because khakis are so awesome), do we get to switch to these? Or do we keep service khakis (no would be the best answer)?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wash khaki would be a working uniform, thus replaced by these (along with SWOveralls), whereas service khaki, as a service uniform, would not.

Let's hope they at least keep the greens on the books though. Call me a dork, but that's a long tradition to be throwing out even if they aren't worn much anymore.

FlyingBeagle

pilot
nittany03 said:
Let's hope they at least keep the greens on the books though. Call me a dork, but that's a long tradition to be throwing out even if they aren't worn much anymore.

I agree. It's a shame those have gone out of style. I'd rather wear the working greens than the khakis (assuming I have to wear something other than flight suit). Of course, I'm also a fan of the service dress khaki and the long sleeve khaki with the black tie.

Did I read that right when it said that the polish boots were for the boat, and the no-shine was for shore? Seems it should be the other way around.

Overall, I think this is a good idea. The enlisted utilities (modern, not the old dungarees) seemed like they were a bad compromise between a working and service uniform (too dressy for one, not enough for the other). I'm sure they'll appreciate not having to keep their blouse tucked in and being able to strip down to a tshirt when it gets hot. I hear a lot of people give that "if I wanted to look like a Marine" argument, but that's pretty easy for an officer to say about enlisted uniforms while we're wearing our flight suits.